- advertisement -

Thinking of getting a new endo?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

First I should say that there is basically nothing wrong with the endocrinologists we are seeing at the Clinic in Wisconsin - other than it is an hour and a half drive from our home in Ill. I am also not particularly attached either. It is simply a fine practice that provides good service.

But I recently read about some parent here who switched to an endocrinologists that was close to their home and I thought, "Gee maybe I should do that?" So why are we taking a whole day off of school every three months to drive so far when we could just find a doctor much closer?

Is it that it is really hard to find good pediatric endocrinologists that can deal well with T1? I don't know but I bet you all do.

So what do you all think? Should I at least consider this or would we be taking a chance on jumping out of nice cool frying pan into a hot fire? How hard is it to find a good endo that would be covered with BCBS of Ill HMO? A quick internet search revealed that there is a doctor in Vernon Hills IL. that would only be about 20 Miles away. Would it be helpful to name names?

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We live in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago, so I feel that we do have several options when it comes to endocrinologists. I assume that you are either north or northwest of Vernon Hills?

Have you looked at the websites of some of the major teaching hospitals (Children's Memorial, Northwestern, University of Chicago, Rush, Loyola, etc.) to see where they may have satellite locations? You might find someone that you like who is a bit closer to home.

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We switched once to the big guy in town and ran back with our tails between our legs. I'm really grateful they let us come back, on the other hands that's part of why we like our guy, he's not the kind of guy to "punish" us for trying another practice.

So why not ask your current endo if you can come back? It's reasonable to want to use a closer doctor, no insult, and asking what their policy is on returning lets them know you value them and would not leave if distance weren't an issue?

I have run into so many difficult doctors and a few really good ones, when I find a good medical professional I hang on tight! So I'd make sure a strategic retreat is possible before exploring.

4. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

What about asking your current endo if there is anyone closer to you that they would recommend? You could let them know that you really like and appreciate the practice, but the day off of school every three months is something you've realized the school will / might have issues with as time goes on. If you start with the framework that you really like who you see, but the drive time is causing some issues, you can also talk about the big What if it all goes wrong? Can we come back?

That's what we're planning on doing at our next visit. I'm not happy with them (the Big Guys Lisa referred to, lol), but they don't need to know that. If knowing might help them change, that would be a different story - but it won't. So, we're going to hang on through pump start, and start looking at what's out there but closer.

5. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

That time saved will really make a difference as your child gets older. I have two children in high school and I cannot imagine taking that amount of time out to drive to the doctor once my d child is in high school.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've been with 3 practices over the past 9 years. It's a drag to have to travel so far if you have other options, but I'd interview the doc first. Honestly, I think that the 4 visit a year business gets old. Anything you can do to shake things up is good. Fresh eyes, new perspective ... all that. But I wouldn't switch sight unseen just to cut down on the travel.

Good luck!

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

We had to drive 2 hours each way to our ped endo --didn't have a choice as there were none closer. She is now an adult and still has to drive that far altho she goes to a different endo now.

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

As an aside, I'm going to follow an example I saw here and tell the endo this month that we'd like to reduce the number of visits a year. We used to visit less when the closest endo was about five hours away, now he's two hours away. We get little day to day care, it's about the blood tests and double checking, so I think every three months is excessive unless we have a problem. I also am becoming aware of how much time we spend on the highway and how the traffic reports go, and I'm pretty sure risk analysis puts us at greater risk with all the driving than reducing the appointments would put her at risk of a health problem.

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son has lived with diabetes since he was 3 years 10 months and is now 18 years 1 month. In that time, he has seen 6 different endos and is about to switch to an adult endo.

I have discovered that in the end, the parent can learn more on how to manage this disease from day to day than the endo. They are there for big issues and to look for complications. The stuff that makes life bearable is learned from other parents.

10. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We are in the opposite shoe then you! Our endo was 40mins away from us, but when she decided to take a job at a hospital 5 hrs a way from us we decided to follow her. She has been amazing with us and very supportive. There is still the office here in town that she was out, but we just didnt feel as we were getting the same level of security with them. It was one of the best decisions we could make in our daughters care.

11. lynn

lynn Approved members

It's a toughie for sure. I will say, for me, I'd take the four days a year and spend them with my son, having a great day. The appointment need only be an annoying interruption to the quarterly fun day. Nathan and I go out to lunch and do something fun after his endo appointments each time. We started that because he was so naughty at the appointments that I used it as a bribe! Now, it has grown into something to look forward to. It's only two to three days of school a year.

I've had some terrible experiences in the medical system in the past couple of years and I can say that the actual doctor would factor only a little into my choice of endos. How is the office run? What is the person like who answers the phone? If you call for something will you get the help you need, or will you be treated rudely and ignored? What is their attitude on a parent's role in their child's care? The office as a whole would factor a TON into my choice.

I wish you well in making this decision.

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

First I'd check with your insurance. Then with the list of providers they'll cover ask around for references. We had wanted to move to another Endo who I'd gotten great references for. They were on my insurances list but when I called to make an appointment they checked and said that actually do not take my insurance. (This seems to happen a lot insurance companies don't update their lists a lot).

Our actual Endo is fine but getting a prescription refill or changing an appointment took forever. To get to the appointment desk you went through 5 different menus and then got disconnected at least once. Unfortunately all of the other recommended Endos are in this practice so we ended up just staying where we were. They've now added some online capabilities so I can now email for prescriptions and such which has made working with them a billion times easier.

Since we've not had a lot of large issues since diagnosis and we do chat with the pump nurses when she ends up with one of those funky problems that make no sense, he's switched us to every 4 months now. Really all we do when we see him is get her A1C and a quick once over exam.

13. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We drive a little over an hour to our pediatric endocrinologist. A while back we did try switching to a closer ped. endo, about 25-30 minutes away. We were not happy at all with the experience and thank goodness our old endo took us right back. I'd give the closer endocrinologist a try, but ask your current one if they'll take you back as a patient if you don't like the closer endo.

14. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Thank you all for your comments. I certainly have a more in depth understanding of what to do before making a change.