- advertisement -

Thinking about a pump

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by torinado22, May 22, 2010.

1. torinado22

torinado22 Approved members

Hi. My name is Tori, I am 11, and was diagnosed with T1 on 5-29-09. I am currently doing shots (Novolog & Lantus), and managing pretty good. My doc is suggesting I get a pump....not that I'm having any problems with my numbers (now) but she says it will allow me alot more freedom & flexibility when I'm at friends houses, for snacks, etc. I would like to be able to eat more like my friends, but I'm just not too sure about the idea of being "hooked" up to a machine all the time. I'd like to hear from some other kids my age who have tried both, and what they think.

Then, of course there is the question of which pump....each one has different features, how do you know which one is the best?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son doesn't post here, but I asked him about the pump versus shots.

He was on shots for 9 years and started using the pump about 4 years ago at age 12 -- right at the beginnng of 7th grade.

The convenience was the biggest thing. No longer did he have to go to the office to do his shot for lunch or when they had snacks at school. He loves to snack a lot and it is incredbily easy to give this insulin with the pump rather than use shot. He liked doing his shots in his butt, which didn't work well when he was out. The pump makes it easier to give the insulin.

He doesn't even notice the pump is attached all the time. It is kind of like wearing glasses.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Tori:) Welcome to CWD. Down below here is a section for kids. I bet if you post there you will get lots of replys from others your age that are on pumps now or thinking about it that would love to share with you

4. torinado22

torinado22 Approved members

Oops! My mom helped me set this up...we didn't know there was a special section for kids. I will try posting this there. Thanks.