- advertisement -

Think Like a Pancreas intro... changed my life

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by saxmaniac, Sep 28, 2009.

1. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I found "Think Like A Pancreas" buried in a kitchen cabinet this weekend, after being lost for years. I re-read the introduction, and have come to the conclusion that this is introduction is one of the biggest motivating factors in how we approach intensive D therapy:

What's the Dang-Diddly Point? (with apologies to Ned Flanders of The Simpsons)

So, you have diabetes and take insulin. What could be simpler? How about predicting the stock market? The weather? The next five World Series winners?

By now you have discovered one common truism about managing diabetes with insulin: It ain't that simple. But-- what's that? You already have a doctor who is taking care of your diabetes? That's just swell. In this age of assembly-line health care dictated by third-party managed care organizations, most physicians are limited in the amount of time they can spend with their patients. After taking vitals, reviewing histories and lab results, performing physical exams, ordering new lab work, and writing prescriptions, precious little time is available for your physician to sit down with you to teach you the finer points of living with diabetes and controlling your blood sugar levels. It's not from a lack of desire; most physicians I know are talented, motivated, caring people who wish they had time and resources to do more for their patients.

Don't get me wrong. Your physician still plays a very important role in overseeing and directing your diabetes care. He or she should be viewed as an expert advisor who oversees your care rather than as a person who should micromanage every aspect of your disease. And it is your disease.

He spends the next few pages describing his personal experience, finally summing up to:

Technology aside, the thing that has made the greatest difference in my life with diabetes is learning how to match my insulin to my needs. No more molding my life to fit my insulin program. Now, I shape the insulin program to fit my life.

Let's see: he's direct, has a sense of humor, nonthreatening, yet still serious about what you should do and why.

Read the whole introduction here.

If more people read just this short introduction, they would understand what we more of what we go through.
    So post it to your Facebook page. Your blog. Print and hand it out to your friends, parents, strangers on the street!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

I forgot how much I really learned and enjoyed that book - very easy to follow and gave me lots of invaluable information that changed the way we treated our duaghters diabetes...
    hmmm... I may still have it around here somewhere.

Thanks for the reminder that even when we do all we can we will still have those days!

3. Toni

Toni Banned

Yes, this is a great book. I think this book should be the first one given to teens with D. It is written in such a way as to be easily understandable, you feel as if Gary is in the room talking to you. I wish Gary would write more books. One speciifically for younger teens, a children's book; and one specifically on pumping and cgms.

4. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

Thanks Scott for the reminder. I read this book back when Kyle was first diagnosed and found it extremely helpful at that time. I should probably give it another read :)

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I seriously need to get this book..

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

This book is on my list - once I get through the two I'm reading right now.

Thanks for reprinting that introduction. I'm very interested in it now.

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Me too, after reading that I already like the way the thinks:D

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

And it's fairly simple to read. He is funny.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

When I read it back now, after having met him in person, it's so fun to hear his voice saying these things. He's just like this is real life too...he's a real diabetes hero, IMO.

10. karliesmom

karliesmom Approved members

This is one of the best books written, IMO, with regards to T1. I learned more from that book, and reading posts on here, than I ever could from our endo or CDE. I always have the book handy and whenever I have a question about something I look there first. I saw Gary speak at FFL Orlando this summer and he is awesome! I call "Think Like a Pancreas" my T1 "bible". :D They really should hand this one out at diagnosis.

11. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Charlotte, here on CWD, has picked me up a copy she found at Half Price Books a couple of months ago! I soooo need to get that from her! I've been wanting to read it from day one!

12. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

I checked this out of the Library and read it shortly after diagnosis along with many other books. This one has always stuck in my mind as one I need to purchase and keep on hand as a refresher read occasionally, so thats for the reminder :D

13. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

It's at the top of my list.

14. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I have GOT to get this book when I can afford it. (Books are a luxury right now unfortunately, which sucks cause I love to read) I wonder if Amazon or Ebay has any cheap used copies? Id get it from the library IF they had it but I tend to highlight and make notes in books like these. :p ( only the ones I own of course!)

15. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

I have to go to the bookstore today so I guess I'll pick this one up while I'm there. :)

I have the other book (Ranas I think?) but never got this one. Sounds like a great read and I can always use another resource for T1D.

16. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

Lent out copy to the school nurse and she wanted to get a copy to all school nurses. This is the best book I have read concerning type 1 and recommend to alll the time.

17. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

You know, I just got this book from Amazon.com last week. I opened it up that night and read the intro. And knew I would enjoy the book. I love his tone and look forward to the bits and pieces of time I have to read it.