- advertisement -

Think I may have given wrong insulin HELP

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Reagan's Mama, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

I am waiting for the hospital to call me back just thought I may get an answer here faster -

I was giving Reagan her after lunch shot and had a passing thought that I may have given her Lantus this morning instead of Humalog.

I am not sure if I did or not - any one done this? How will it affect her?

She was BG 296 at 1030am - BG 401 at 1230
    I gave her 1 unit at 9 this morning - I am thinking if I did give her the Lantus she would have been lower that 400 at lunch?

I feel like I am going to be sick - i can't believe I don't know.

She is down for her nap now and I am scared she is going to bottom out.

2. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Amy,
    Wow, how scarey this must be for you. Do you keep a log of the insulin you give? If so do you write what kind? If not this is my advise to help protect against this in the future. Somtimes I can't remember if I gave Julia her Lantus at bedtime. So this has really helped me to figure it out.

If she does go low, keep juice around, and just keep checking her blood regularly. I would do it every hour, or two until it has been about 4 hours. You will more then likely be able to tell if she had her Lantus or not then. I hope the hospital calls you back soon with better advise then I have. :cwds:

Take care, and try to calm down. You are not the first parent to make an opps. We all do it. This is a huge learning proscess and takes alot of energy.

Jamie

3. hartpukas

hartpukas Approved members

I second guess the insulin sometimes, too. If you are concerned, I would test her as she naps - it will probably wake her up but it is best to catch her going low. Also, as a side I never let Zoe nap for more than 2 hours as I learned the hard way that, for some reason, she goes low too easily during her nap time. If she is low treat her and let her lay low for the remaining, of what would be, nap time. Good luck and not to worry as we all face this craziness. Just remember - when i n doubt... check her blood sugar, even you do it every hour.

4. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Keep an eye on the BG.

It looks like she was high all morning and that suugest that there wasn't any rapid acting insulin in her.

I am not a luntus pro. To me the worry is too much insuling too fast and getting a low. You don't seem to be at an emergancy risk.

I would assum that additional lantus would mean you would run the risk of lows over its normal effective range. Check BG more often than you would and call the doc back if you doo't hear from them.

5. Reagan's Mama

I do write down everything that I do and what time I do it - I just don't typically have the bottle in front of me.

When I looked at the Humalog bottle at lunch time dosing something made me think that I had given her something different at breakfast. I remember looking at the Lantus bottle to make sure the insulin was still clear in it. Just can't remember if that was last night or today that I checked it! It all seems to run togetehr.

I think I will store them in different spots in the fridge now, or maybe put the Lantus in a small tupperware.

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

If you do not hear back from your doctor's office IMMEDIATELY, (you should tell the service this is an emergency), you should take your child to the emergency room for safety purposes if she is running high blood sugar and ketones. Everyone makes mistakes. The follow-up is vital.

7. Reagan's Mama

talked to hospital

They said she will be fine - just to monitor BG closer, even through the night and see how she does.

They are going to talk with the Dr on call tonight and let her know what happened incase I have questions.

Sounded ok, but I still feel like an idiot

And the next 18 hours are going to be long.

Thank you for answering fast!

8. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

How is she running now?

It's so hard to keep it all straight sometimes!! Especially with 2 kinds of insulin! You are doing great, and as everyone else said never hesitate to test often, even during a nap if you think there's a problem!:cwds:

9. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

DOnt feel bad.. we have all made mistakes... if it makes you fee; any better my 24 year old neighbor, dx t1 last year.. has now givin himself novalog instead of lantus 3x.. each time end up in ER.... HE's and adult... mistakes will happen.. you learn from them. and dont them them again for the fear... IF it helps when we did shots.. I kept her lantus in my egg shelf and her novalog in the meat compartment.. kept seperate.. no mixing up.. I also used to buy teh small thin post it notes write my date for discard on those and color code each one.. novalog pink lantus purple.. worked great as a 2nd back up.... keep us posted on how tonight goes...

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We all make mistakes, don't beat yourself up over it (I know, I know, easier said than done). At least you realized you possibly did this in error, and now know to be aware in the future. I keep our emergency Lantus in the box in the fridge, but I also put a big red L on the top. Any chance you can switch to the pen to help differentaite in the future?

Hope everything goes ok for you.

11. coni

coni Approved members

We've made mistakes with giving the wrong insulin as well. It happens. Now we use brightly colored duct tape (this month's is red) to wrap around the Lantus to be able to quickly tell it apart from the Novolog. Hope you and your kiddo are doing okay...

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

Did they give you some instructions on what to do if she starts running too low? Or how to cut the fast acting dose you'd normally give? I guess that would be my question especially in a 1 year old.

Do you normally give lantus at night? Are you still supposed to give the night dose?

I think it is probably easier to treat too much fast acting than lantus!

Everyone makes mistakes - the tricky part is catching it! Let us know what happens.

13. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

Amy, my heart goes out to you.. we also use two different types of insulin. One is cloudy(Novilin NPH) and one is clear (Novalog). I have been right where you are right now...It's one oops.. there will be others..:cwds: try to relax... Oh Amy I so know how you feel. we are just 3 months in. I know just how it is to not remember what you did or if it was this morning, last night or yesterday!!:confused: ...even though you write everything down..its so easy to get confused. Your tired, stressed, mad, sad, you hurt for you baby, ...This will get better..I promiss...little by little every day will seam less overwhelming. your at the right place...we all know..
    where all family:cwds:

14. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

If you are going to mix up insulins, better to do it the way you did and give a small dose of Lantus instead of a small dose of fast-acting.

Our CDE told us about people who did it the other way around -- gave a big whopping dose of rapid insulin at bedtime instead of his Lantus. That poor kid had to eat three dinner's worth of carbs just to stay afloat! That would be so scary.

Glad everything's OK!

15. Reagan's Mama

she's ok

Just wanted to post and say that I don't think I gave the wrong thing - at least her BG isn't saying that I did.

She is still a little high and acting fine - better than bottoming out!

I now have the Lantus in a tupperware in the fridge and the Humalog in the butter dish!

Better to be safe than sorry.

Whew - what a rollercoaster ride this new life is

16. dmconrad

dmconrad Approved members

I've done it too. Spent the whole day worrying...even called and asked..how soon after should I expect her to have a seizure...:( ...but she was fine. I don't mean to be flippent. The reality of it is that everyone makes mistakes, no one want to, but in the lack of sleep, exhaustion, stress, frustration, confused, overwhelming world of D, it is going to happen....so you make sure your baby is ok...check OFTEN...pick yourself up...forgive yourself (or DH! I always manage to figure out a way that things are his fault :D )...and figure out how you are going to NOT do it again...or how you are going to be sure that you know which you did.....how many times have you driven home from work or the store and you can't remember making a turn...or driving the last 5 miles...it has become part of your routine...and if you are distracted it is hard to remember....but just as you find your way home anyway...you likely do the right things, but just don't recall doing it.

You have gotten some great suggestions on how to keep your insulins separate...we got a pen for the novolog and use the lantus with a syringe and that has helped me to keep them straight...before that (after I couldn't remember one morning which I had given her) I put a finger puppet over the lantus so that I would remember which it was....You will find a system that works for you too!!

You are a great mom, doing a great job, in a tough situation!

17. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

I've made the mistake, too, by injecting fast-acting, when it should have been my basal.

My self tip to limit chances of this happening again -- I now get my basal (Lantus/Levemir) insulin in a vial and my fast acting in a pen form. This way I know I'm either drawing up a syringe or cranking a dial.

18. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Everyone makes mistakes. When your tired or rushed it's hard to keep track of things sometimes. The important thing is that you followed up on it. I'm glad everything worked out okay. Let us know how she is in the morning. We used pens so they looked different. A little easier to tell than when you are using two vials.

Hang in there. God Bless!

Tami