- advertisement -

things we do .. for dexcom users

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by betty6333, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Danda

Danda Approved members

Will you consider...

Nice to meet you too Betty.

Because you bring up the 10 points off I wonder if... because you have 2 receivers and because they say you may have 10-15 min lag from interstitial readings.... did you ever did a comparative study in which one receiver you calibrate normally and one receiver you calibrate with 10 points less than the meter number? I'm thinking 10 points will take off the lag(maybe) and maybe this way the receiver will always alarm a low before is a real low(Mr Dex show 79 and the finger stick is 89).
    I'm thinking of this scenario because we had instances when Mr.Dex said 85 or 82(low alarm is 90) and finger stick was 74 or 68.
    I think if you can/will do this, will be very interesting to see how the 2 receivers compare.

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I think because our son stays pretty hydrated, we get pretty accurate results. we rarely see a 15 minute lag. I say won't say never , but I can't remember the last time I had to wait 15 minutes to see it catch up. Our lag time is much closer to the 5-10 minute mark.
    I have noticed that the system will naturally run it a little low on purpose, as a safety feature, so I have from time to time added a few points to the second dexi so that it matches the actual BG instead of the lower BG that it tries to set out.

If you wanted it to run a little lower than actual bg, you can do that too, but we keep the BG as close to 80-120 as we can and I am ok with a 74 and only treat if there is a downward trend.
    That is with the aviva though, if I am using a different meter where I'll see a larger variation between multiple pokes then I will treat a 74 because if he is 64 and the meter is just off, then, I would NOT want him running around under 70. With the optium, if I got a 74 I would retest and verify that a second fingerstick showed a number in the mid 70's because I get a range on the optium like I did on the freestyle and one touch.... those ranges are what can drive you nuts and really confuse the sensor.

Yesterday I put a second sensor on his bum and compared the readings to the ones we were getting on the arm. ( I had 2 sites running at the same time) It was very interesting to see how the arm reading compared to the bum readings.
    I pulled the arm sensor off today and have switched both receivers to the bum site, so we will see how that goes. Bum sites are great UNLESS he is sleeping on his back.:mad: Last night the pressure on the bum site confused the sensor and it shut off and so luckily the arm site was still giving me great numbers and we were ok. I am going to have to see how tonight goes with just the bum running. I do not like that the bum site shut down the new sensor. Today the site is running just great with no issues and readings are just as good as the arm site, but I will have to see how the night goes tonight. if the sensor doesn't run well tonight, I am not sure how I'll cover it since I pulled the arm site this morning.

Do you do anything for bum sites?

3. betty6333

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd just add to this one.

Yesterday we started with the plus.

We took the old transmitter off the site and put on the new transmitter ( I wasn't going to do a new sensor unnecessarily)

So far accuracy in the lower ranges has been better. I was pretty impressed at that, I usually get a 10 point window in anything under 70, and the alarm went off in the middle of the night and it was the exact same number as what was on Dexi.

Arrows... I am ok with them, but I don't know how much I find them useful, as I look at the graphs and use common sense.

I think it is because the graph is already on the home screen that first pops up... I would worry about them if the home screen didn't already have the graph on it. It is nice, but not necessary IMO.

I love that it believes me the first time, I have only tried this once this morning, he woke up 148 and dexi read 138 and i put in the # and it automatically went to 143. BIG BIG BIG plus!!!

OH, and I have not had 1 single ??? . While I didn't get them on the seven, that was a concern since other plus users had said they had them.

Even when he was treating the low at 2 am, I got a number each 5 minute period. No ??? at all.

4. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

So glad you posted this, I was going to ask you that question today. I was thinking about doing that tomorrow when we get the new one, but was not sure if it would work.

I am so glad you are having good luck with it. The new features will take some time getting use to them.

Hope it works for the highs better too. Thanks for posting.

5. betty6333

I figured it would be best not to have to wonder if it was a sensor issue or not if we did have any issues. The sensor was working great with the 7 so if we had a problem It would have been good to know it was not a sensor issue .

Thankfully we haven't had any issues with sensor concerns.

6. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

I wish I could do this, but we will be changing the sensor as soon as ours arrives. Since we use Opsite over then entire site including the transmitter, any attempts to peel it off also pulls off the sensor.

We are on day 9 already anyways and the actual tape on the sensor looks funky (I think pool water got between the Opsite and the skin) so I am ok with changing it. I just hope the current site holds out until our upgrade arrives!! We had lots of ??? in the last 48 hours so I know it is on it's way out.

7. betty6333

Do you have a tracking number? I always find it annoying that fed ex will WAIT 3 days if it is sent 3 day, especially when it is really close by!

8. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Any chance of putting a one thin layer of gauze over the sensor before you put on the Opsite?

9. Jacque471

It actually pulls the sensor tape off so it's not really because it's on the transmitter. I have to say I am glad it sticks as good as it does with all of the pool time he has had this week. :D

Usually it's not a big deal since we don't pull the transmitter for any reason, just reastart and when it is past 7 days and it gets wonky we just change it out.

10. Jacque471

Freaking idiots. It didn't ship Monday it shipped yesterday via 3-day FedEx and won't deliver until Friday.

Did I mention I am about 2 freaking hours away from San Diego?!?!? And yet it is going to take 3 days to travel that 2 hours up the 5 freeway. UGH!!!!!

I got the tracking # and hopefully some nice FedEx person will decide to deliver it early! I should have sent it to my office, they are here every single day so I know it would have come faster that way!

ETA** The Dexcom girl could have saved herself an earfull if she had looked farther down on the tracking screen when she tracked it and told me it was on a truck and out for delivery today :) So disregard previous rant. It estimated delivery for Friday, but appears to be delivering today. You can bet I will keep tracking it from work so I know when it arrives on my doorstep at home.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  11. betty6333

ROTF and LMAO...

I can just see you giving that lady an earful!

Let us know when it gets there.... That is too funny!

12. betty6333

well day 3 and , I do like the plus. Accuracy is good. We had a + 250 and it was off by 8 points when we went to correct , this morning the wake up was 169 on dexi and 164 on fingerstick, so that is fine.
    I like it with the outcof range alarm. That is great. I like the lighter color of the transmitter.
    The alarms are not as loud. That is good and bad. They are not quiet by any means but I would love to see a pediatric model that has alarms that wake the whole house!
    I do think the algorithm is better. I love it believes me the first time!

I am sad to lose the second system though, but I know it is going to a home where it is needed .
    I will be buying a new one in august and at that point I will have the second receiver.

Overall though, I would recommend the plus over the 7. I like the 24 hour screen and the new graph. My son loves the smilie faces and for a kid seeing happy faces makes him smile too!
    Event markers are really nice as we wait for the pod to integrate in a year or two.
    I have started marking when he goes to sleep as his basal needs seem to vary based on bed time so, that is great that I will be able to track that.
    overall I give two thumbs up to dexcom. We have his endo spot today. And I love that they have gotten me the system so fast, it was simple and quick to upgrade and I have good data to bring in. We havnt had a single ??? Which gives me much hope that it is not going to be an issue for us.
    Thank- you dexcom for making a fantastic product even better! Now it needs to get cracking on a pediatric model and intergation with omnipod!

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What are the smilie faces?

14. betty6333

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Cool :p

16. Jacque471

We updated the software and inserted ours last night. I was super impressed with the changes in the software on the receiver just from playing around with it.

However, it was not meant to be last night. When it came time to calibrate, Logan was 74 and 69. We entered those numbers into Dex and it popped right up at 67 on the screen. I was super impressed. Then at the next reading 5 min later it went to ??? and stayed that way the rest of the night. So this morning we ended the sensor and started it again. Hopefully when I get home from work DH will have had a better day with it then I had last night.

I am also a bit concerned about the site we pulled the sensor from last night. Logan has 3 bumps on his booty now from where there are indents on the bottom of the actual sensor. It looks horrible and I am waiting for the nurse to get back to me because I sent her a picture of it. I think it may just be some sort of callouss since there was water/condensation under the sensor and between the sensor and transmitter. He also looks a bit rashy where the sensor adhesive and opsite stick to him. He also has an outline from the harder plastic part of the sensor as well.

I still love Dex, but Rashes, bumps and ??? are frustrating me!

I have attached the photo I sent to the nurse if anyone cares to look and chime in. We put Hydrogen Peroxide and Neosporin on it last night so hopefully it looks better today, but it was UGLY last night!

17. betty6333

Since you had mentioned it had been more than 7 days , with this sensor you might consider sticking to 7 days. Also areas other than butt might be less irritating as wettness from the diaper and clothing plus the covering you use may be too much for the skin to handle.

18. Jacque471

The nurse said to contact Dexcom and try and get some of their Shower Covers to try since they are more breathable so it can dry out. I think we will stick to 7-9 days max. We pushed this one to 10-11 due to waiting on the upgrade. Plus the added variable of the pool.

I may just cut a hole in the Opsite and use it for added tape around the edges and just leave the transmitter uncovered. We haven't had any diaper blowouts that would have gotten on it anyways. Of course if I do that it will be 10x more likely to happen, but that is life, right?

I need to discuss other sites with DH, but I don't know that we could get Logan to leave them alone, so I am hesitant. It would be a lot less wear & tear though for an active little guy rolling around and sliding on the slide (I think that is what causes the outside ring of irritation each time)

And our first sensor on the Plus still isn't working. We restarted it and it failed during the start up period. DH is restarting it again and if it fails again then I will have to pull it and start over. UGH! I was so excited and now I am just annoyed :)

19. brownkkeb

brownkkeb Approved members

Questions?

We just received our Dexcom Seven Plus today, and will be trained on it next Friday, so I'll be spending the holiday weekend reading about the system and playing with it. Those that already use it -- the documentation says the range is 5 ft - do you get better range than that in reality? My DS uses the Omnipod and when we're home, his stuff sits on the kitchen counter. If he's in the general area (kitchen, family room), I was hoping he wouldn't have to wear the receiver, just like he doesn't wear his PDM.

Also, do you use the clip that came with the system or do you use something else? Again, with the Omnipod, I always carried all of his stuff in a kit that goes everywhere with him, but it may not be within 5 feet all the time. I know we'll have to make adjustments because he'll be starting Kindergarten in September, but I'm looking to make things as easy as possible for him. And for me... :D

Thanks for any and all ideas!

20. betty6333

I have found that it varies depending on where we are, at the endo's office we were at that 5 feet max rule because there was wireless from every office running.

At home there is very little interefence and it is much larger. If I have the wireless internet on the laptop near by I know it will reduce the signal by a lot.
    In general at the house when there is no intereference , we get 10-15 feet.