- advertisement -

things we do .. for dexcom users

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by betty6333, Apr 14, 2009.

1. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Well, I was wrong! I may put the 1-12 back to a 1-15 for breakfast because he went to 69, and the alarm went off, I didn't test just gave him the tabs and he went right back up. I will test when he is going to eat again, it is looking just fine right now.
    Funny side note they both alarmed at the same time for the 80 alarm, i went down and they showed he was 75 on both dexi's at the same time then one showed he went to 69 the other to 72 and then the carbs kicked in and he went to 145. I do think it is interesting when both show the same # if I haven't calibrated them to be the same.
    I will likely calibrate them both at the next test. I have no clue when that will be because he and his brother are playing starwars and with the light sabers in the family room down stairs... they really love those silly light sabers.... they also have the x box going so it may be a while before hunger comes a callin'

2. betty6333

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

That's great! How does he carry it around. In a pouch?

4. betty6333

If he is home and he wants to he can carry it in his pocket, at school it goes on his desk . Since today is spring break we are at home and I have one in his room and one on the living room floor :eek: it picks him up in the basement's family room and the upstairs living room and kitchen. I didn't calibrate yet, because the other one wasn't close by, but when I head back down there i'll pick it up. I am ok with the 133, and am sure the other one is close enough so far
    I'd love to know how you guys find the superbolus is working because he wants pudding for dessert, and that stuff just sky rockets him!

do you take 2 hours of basal, and add it into the bolus and then suspend for 2 hours?

5. betty6333

I just figured it out we are on day 7 with this sensor. I restarted one of the dexi's Sunday since we were traveling and I knew he'd be still for a couple hours. I just couldn't remember which one I had restarted.

Well, the other dexi just showed the hourglass sign and told me I had 6 hours left of this session. I went ahead and set it up to run the restart so for the next 2 hours we will just have the one receiver giving numbers... but never fear it is ok because he is eating lunch and the other dexi is good to go.

I'll catch the lunch spike and compare it if I can... I suspect it will be in the next hour at the rate he is taking in his sandwich and with pudding for dessert!
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Thanks for the great thread!
    Can you tell me what the difference is on the graphs from 'no dots' (obviously no signal received) and when there are yellow lines saying 'gap' ??

7. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Great question!

8. betty6333

the yellow lines are where the receiver is showing a Y for a longer gap than a few readings
    I think the spaces are the ??? or a short time when the receiver is out of range.

We get ??? at night more than in the day because at night he insists on sleeping on his arms and he rolls around all night.

When he lays directly on that sensor it cuts off circulation and the receiver shows ???.

During the day we will get a ??? if he is going up or down really really fast and that will show a space ( not the yellow lines)

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

When he gets ??? at night does it eventually beep to let you know you are not getting readings?

10. betty6333

No, it does not.
    The plus has a setting for that and for when it is out of range it will alarm. I am so looking forward to the new system!

The ??? is not often enough to worry me because he rolls around all night and never sleeps still. All my kids are active sleepers :rolleyes:

The other thing is that the receiver is in the room next to his room at night, so it is technically out of the 5 foot range that dexcom advertises. Some of those missed readings are because it is 10+ feet away. I get most readings and if I am worried I can always move it into his room and put it on his desk. My husband just didn't want to hook up the wireless mic last night and so he relied on the receiver being close enough to pick up in the next room :(

11. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

I just talked to my Dex rep about getting a second receiver and it will cost $350 if we wait for the plus and order by June 30. Yikes. I would love to havea second one, but I guess we will have to skip that luxury!

12. betty6333

Did they say when we would be able to upgrade? Is it still looking like early May?

13. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

I got an email reply from her and she neglected to answer that question LOL. I don't think they really know for sure since it is an FDA approval they are waiting on. Ugh! I am tired of waiting already LOL

14. betty6333

Ok, so the receiver that is needing the 2 hr warm up beeped. I tested bg entered it and compared it to the first reciever.

It was 160, I entered that into the receiver and also into the second one. Here is the meter and the receiver pic showing how they compare with the one that ran the whole time.

As you can see it was a 154 on the dexi and the BG was a 160, the second test for the blood drop was a 157, so I am ok with that, I entered the 160 into the first dexi as a calibration.
    http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p323/betty6333/Snapshot_20090415_9.jpg

Usually I won't do a second test unless I am unsure of the first test or the other dexi was off for some reason.

15. betty6333

We are running a superbolus.... and are a little nervous, BG was 135 at the beginning and it was 31 carbs with a 2 hr run... SO we shall see ( knock on wood)

16. betty6333

not so impressed with the superbolus as he went to 72 and he should have ended up in the 130's but I see it is likely a trial and error thing so I will not be too quick to judge on the superbolus front.

Any way this is the last one of the night, but I hope it was helpful to those who read.

BG on the meter is 72.... dexi 1 says 71 and Dexi 2 says 79, the 79 is from the dexi that I restarted today, so even though it is a 7 point difference, I am not too worried about it.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p323/betty6333/Snapshot_20090415_11.jpg

Michael is tired of the extra BG checks so while it was not fun for him, I appreciate his patience in letting me check him when he knew he was fine.

The things we found most useful with Dexcom is to make sure you have a meter that is accurate for your child's body. We get the best results with the accucheck.
    Also never test a bg unless you wash the hands. dry with a paper towel and make sure that hands are 100 % clean. When we get a reading that is over 20 points off it is almost always because hands were not washed.

Some sensors work better than others. I have had sensors that were horrible that topped out at 200 and were useless for anything other than trends. When I get a sensor like that I call and have them verify that it is a bad sensor and put a new one on.
    We calibrate on the first day when we get a range on numbers to tell the sensor what he "looks" like when he is at a BG.
    We also offer fluid to keep him hydrated and we find that if he doesn't get enough to drink that the numbers will be off by 20-30 points :eek: 3-4 glasses of water a day is best for our son.

I hope that it is helpful for people to read this... at the very least I will like being able to use it to compare it to the new system when we upgrade.

Thanks to all who replied to my thread :D

17. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank your son too!!! Way to help out others!!

I really appreciate it. Have a great night

18. betty6333

Good night Susan, I bet you'll be teaching me how to use the plus system when we are starting it! Good luck tonight ! And don't forget it is ok to make dexi "cry" if needed so that you don't wind up the one crying! ;)

:D

19. Danda

Danda Approved members

Appreciating your time

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this "scientific" study ;). It really show how important the meter accuracy is for calibration.

I find out the algorithm for the first 2 calibration, if is in 100 to 200 range can almost be expressed like BG#1 + BG#2 divided by 2 -15. I always got the first number on the screen being exact or within 1-2 points of this formula because the algorithm take off x% and not a fix number.

20. betty6333

I agree, the system will only be as accurate as your meter is. If your meter is off or you use a bg that is not accurate or is off by 10 points , then you cannot expect the system to magically be more accurate than the information you are giving it.

last night we had a false low because the circulation to the sensor was cut off, and we did NOT calibrate when the reading was off. We rolled him off the sensor and the readings came back.

If we had calibrated when the circulation was cut off it would have messed up the previous calibrations and so we waited and the #'s came back when circulation is restored.

It is nice to meet you Danda!