- advertisement -

they laughed at me!

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by shekov, Mar 7, 2008.

1. shekov

shekov Approved members

I called yesterday to check what kind of insurance coverage I have on a pump for my newly dx'd daughter. I got that info then asked about CGM coverage...they laughed and said "no one covers THAT." What's my first step in getting it covered? I wouldn't have pushed it but with that response I'm ready to fight!!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, in one sense, they may have been correct.

Under 7 years old its a lot harder to get coverage because the FDA has approved them for 7 and older. Some have gotten it but its much more difficult because there aren't a lot of cases to point to.

EmmasMom/BrensDad have gotten coverage for their toddler - they are probably the best source.

3. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

my insurence company paid out 90% of our pump, and 90% of our CGM. (of cource, we met our out of pocket by then....) - United Health Care

I dont understand, its a thousand dollars... a measly grand to the insurence company, yet, if my child (or anybody elses) goes into DKA... the hospital bill for one stay would pay for the CGM for a few years. :rolleyes:

4. mamakittyto3

mamakittyto3 New Member

Lots of work

Keep fighting. The endo needs to write letters, you need to write letters. Tons of BG readings to show highs and lows that she doesn't recognize. Check her BG during the night too. My insurance co. doesn't cover it, except on a case by case basis. It takes a lot of extra work. However, if the FDA says not until 7, I'm not sure that you'll be able to get it at all until she's seven. Best of luck though!