- advertisement -

The1 Problem With the G4...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lee, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

Is seeing how long it takes a low blood sugar to come up.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

I agree it seems to lag but I hesitate to blame that on the G4. I've thought about it but it doesn't make sense that it's the fault of the sensor. Perhaps it's a biological issue?

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yeah-I wasn't really blaming the G4 - it was more of a general commentary on lows themselves...

4. swellman

I get it ... it just happened tonight - a low that is.

Son "forgot" to restart the CGM when it alarmed at 6:00 PM so at bedtime, 9:30 PM we find out it's been shutdown for 3.5 hours. I don't remember the 7 doing that but it just shut down - no data points.

Bed time check and lows and ultimately a 35 and so now I'm the proud owner of a night with the rebound or correction highs.

It always seems to be around startup time that everything goes to hell.

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

The low status is hard. I think maybe?, that what happens is that you eat some sugar, it goes to your brain first, then organs then shows up in your blood then the fluid that sensors measure, and depending on how long you have been low the dilution of the low blood levels and the higher blood levels takes a while to show up??? I agree that often you start to feel better way before a sensor number shows you "should be feeling" better happens. For me there is a lag between sensor and real BG effects. So I have learned over the years how to interpret the BG numbers and changes in numbers to pre empt what will be happening. I actually think younger kids are better off as I think their metabolism is such that their sensor data reflects their BG data more quickly than us older "couch potato T1s. It is not perfect but FWIW in my opinion way better than BG finger sticks alone.:eek::cwds:ali

6. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

How big of a delay would you guess there is?

And when the CGM readings ultimately do rise, do you find they fall back in-line with the regular finger stick meter or do you have to re-calibrate?

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

For us, sometimes it hits a low and seems to "float" as we call it. We can treat and the G4 will keep floating lower. We check and she has come up but the G4 is still floating down. It typically will float down almost to LOW and we have to do one or two calibrations to get it back in range. It doesn't do it all the time, only once in a while, but it definitely seems like it gets "stuck" in low range and we have to force it out. Small nuisance for us considering so many great things about it for us. We just keep calibrating to try and bring it back and move on!

8. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We find that lows come up faster on the G4 than with the MM. Usually within 15 minutes of her drinking juice, which has helped us to avoid eating a second time when not necessary. Sometimes lows just stay there for a long time though, even if you check on a BG meter they are still there.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Agreed. The problem is not knowing when the G4 is lagging and when the lows are persisting. We've had both this weekend.:( I'm still so thankful for a CGM, though!

10. swellman

I have found that, if your're patient enough, it will come back into calibration. We have entered BG after what we thought was plenty long without it coming back up.

11. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

we thought the lag time was with MM, but now we're finding after switching to the G4 that Isaac just takes at least 20 minutes to start coming back up at all...and then it's slow and steady, so we have to be very careful to not overtreat as that slow and steady will just rise and rise and rise. We decided that for Isaac if we see a low, check and treat that if at the recheck he is the same number he's fine and won't go lower...but again, that's just with Isaac.
    It is always interesting to me to hear how everybody's body reacts so differently to various situations, yet still somewhat similar, too.

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

yes, I'm seeing so many things that I didn't / couldn't see with the MM sensor. I don't really see a sensor lag, but I am truly horrified at how long lows seem to take to come up after treating. And then sometimes I'm horrified at how quickly they come up and we see overtreatment happen. LOL

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I think we are also seeing more detail in the out-of-range numbers. This is helping us fine tune the omnipod settings, for one thing we have learned is that IC ratio was too high causing brief lows after each meal.

14. Olivia'sDad

Olivia'sDad Approved members

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but how long after the meals was this taking?