- advertisement -

the worst school experience ever...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by valerie k, Jun 20, 2012.

1. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

Its been a while since I have been here. Ken and I along with the kids have settled nicely in oregon. However, its sure had its moments. FIrst, trying to get matt into the last two months of school. How easy does that sound? :rolleyes: Well, first the school wouldnt let him in untill they had his IEP. My copy, was still in mn. So we wait till old school sends it, via what, snail mail or on pony express? So, they get the IEP, simple right..... NNOOOOO then they say, they "cant" except the dr orders from MN, it needs to be an oregon dr. (are they that much better?) Well, we dont have insurance. I have been trying to get it since I entered this state. I have jumped through all hoops, and given blood when nessesary. (Im still waiting :rolleyes: ) Just wandering into a clinic was gonna cost. So I shop around, and finally find a dr that will see him for a 100.00. We go, matt gets looked at, dr signs a note stating he can attend school, and I think, GOLDEN, he is so in. But he wasnt. now we have a month of school left, and matt, well matts living large, as any 13 year old boy would not having to go to school. They then say to me.... it HAS to be the dr that is going to care for matt on going, not the dr I had sign the note and waste a hundred dollar bill on. at the 3 week before school is out mark, they send a tutor to the house, for 1 hour a day, and call it good. And here I sit, still no insurance yet to speak of. I just cant believe I couldnt get matt into school, its pure and simple no body wanted to take on the responsibility, and to top it off, there is NO
    nurse in the schools, just one in the district going from school to school.

Anybody in the portlandish area have any tips and tricks? Just in case we get the insurance and heaven forbid, matt can attend school this fall.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So they wouldn't let him register because of diabetes? If so, I'd call the ADA right away.

If you don't want him to attend school until you have all the IED and 504 stuff arranged then that's a different story. I'm just a bit confused...

3. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Have you only gone to the school. I would go to the supertindent and the school board member that represents my area. With ADA info.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Another question, how do they know this isn't going to be his doctor moving forward? Hell, if they want to hear that, that's what I'd tell them. People change doctors all the time so would it be all that unusual to have one doc in the spring and a new one in September? Especially since you just moved, things change all the time.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

And doctor's orders are different than his IEP or 504 - it might be a requirement that to attend school you have to present medical forms (like for immunizations, etc.) The medical documentation is different by state but as long as you provide it they have to let him go to school.

I don't get the requirement that the doctor has to be in state however. Many people travel state-to-state to see a pedi endo and in places like where I live (the Washington, DC area) there are 3 "states" people can easily access (MD, VA and DC).

To transfer the IEP, the school does have to get official documentation of the IEP from the other school. They can follow it or hold a meeting in 30 days to reassess. Getting the one school to fax the other school the burden is on you there. I can't see that they can deny him attending school without an IEP however.

If they aren't letting him go to school because of diabetes then you should call the ADA. I agree your post isn't clear. :cwds:

6. valerie k

first they told us, he couldnt get into the school becouse they didnt have his IEP. My copy was in MN at the time, I called the school, and the school called the school to get matts IEP. I also gave them the # to the virtual school matt attended before the charter school he was in, and they had the # to the elementary he was in 5th grade at. Then, they ask for the health plan we had in place. The school gives them that. They are concerned about matt and how carbs are going to be handled and how insulin is going to be handled and so forth, becouse, NOBODY wanted to take responsibility. So I was like, I will pac him a lunch, write down the carbs, just make sure you see him input his carbs into the pump. Then, the school nurse comes up with the "it has to be an oregon dr and not a mn dr health plan", even tho the mn plan was for the entire school year. Im trying for insurance, desperately. The school was also calling to try and speed up the insurance aspect with the social worker they gave me. nSo, I call around, and find a walk in clinic that will see matt for cash, and most wanted 170.00, this one, was 100.00. The dr looks at matt, signs a paper saying he is fit to go to school, and they dont accept that. Stating it has to now be the dr that will be taking matt on as a patient long term. So that they can be in contact with this dr as well, altho, there is NO WAY in heck I will ever sign a paper stating anybody from the school will have access to talk to matts dr period.

It seems like, since there was no school nurse on site, they didnt want to have anybody deal with his day to day. Nobody wanted to be the one responsible for the blood checks, nobody wanted to deal with the fact that matt couldnt be excluded from any treats and such that could crop up and having to deal with the carbs, and nobody certainly wanted to be in charge of glucogon.

Also, They pulled the whooping cough vac on me. matt has never had one, and the 100.00 dr didnt give him one, becouse I didnt know ahead of time he "needed" it. But yet, they let my daughter finish 8th grade out, without the vac, just stating she will need it in order to attend 9th grade. We never had to deal with that vac in mn.

the IEP states to go to the health forms as far as his medical care goes. His mn health form stated everything very clearly for the 2011/2012 school year.

neither do I, If I were rich, believe you me, I would fly back to see matts dr in mn. Every stinkin visit. I adore his endo. Perhaps they would accept a washington dr, however, the span between oregon and mn is just way to much for them. Its only 1800 miles, or 28 hours via car.....

As for the IEP- well, once they got ahold of that, then they said it was "expired" during the stint that matt layed around the house instead of being in class... so we held a meeting, to "re-enstate" the IEP, and they were going to follow that IEP for now...(wonder why, the health form wasnt good enough to follow) and as I am sitting in the school, in this meeting, a school bus wipes out the back of my mini van in the parking lot.:mad: I have no back drivers tail light, and my hatch is majorly crunched.

as for knowing about the dr, I would hazzard they knew the clinic was a walk in or that type? I thought I was golden walking in with the signed note, and they call me that afternoon stating it would have to be another dr. Im very frustrated, and I still dont have any insurance. I thought matt having diabetes would get him ahead of the pack, but I guess not. We simply could not afford the cobra payments from kens old job. We have been un-insured since febuary. His job ended january 24, and they gave him one months severance with insurance. Im lucky I have plenty of supplies for the pump, but insulin and strips are still on me. And ken, still doenst have a job becouse the one he thought he would get when moving here, fell through, its me and my part time job doing it all.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Why don't you qualify for medicaid for the children? :confused:

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

I don't know why they weren't letting him attend school. I know that here you must have your vaccination forms in and some basic medical forms. If a child is bringing medication to school to take regularly (like insulin), there has to be doctor's orders for that. Each state has a different take on it - but I'd think this is fairly standard - more or less.

If you call 1-800-DIABETES you can ask for a free school discrimination packet and there is a form in there to send back to request assistance from an ADA advocate and/or lawyer - none of this will cost you money. I'm almost positive that they couldn't deny him admittance to school because you didn't have a copy of his IEP. Of course it may have been difficult to accommodate any of his needs without it - but they can't say he cannot go to school.

I just suggest you call the ADA and send in that form - and get some help. They can make more sense of your state laws and regulations and why they weren't letting him start school right away.

9. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

We are in the Portlandish area (North Clackamas School District). We didn't have any problems at all. Of course, we were only dealing with 1st grade, so that may have made a difference.

We also did not really need a lot of accomodations, since DD did not do any extra-curriculars, and I was available and happy to dash to the school for any unexpected treats, etc. I also love chaperoning field trips, so their only responsibilities centered around lunch-time dosing, treating lows, and willingness to administer Glucagon if necessary, which it never was.

And, we've travelled internationally as a family, so DD was up to date on all the necessary immunizations and then some. I'm not surprised to hear that they are cracking down on whooping cough. I heard on the news some time ago that it has reached epidemic proportions in WA, which is just across the river and LOTS of people travel back and forth all the time.

What type of insurance are you trying to get? Oregon Health Plan, or Oregon Healthy Kids, or private insurance?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, that makes sense there has been a rash of cases of whooping cough in WA, especially in Middle Schoolers http://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/IllnessandDisease/WhoopingCough.aspx

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

How does the administration justify keeping your child out of school for two months? If a parent was holding a child out, the truancy patrol would be on the doorstep.

12. valerie k

I dont have a clue, however, the last three weeks, he had a tutor for 1
    hour a day!!!!!

And I was assured that this would not hamper him going into 7th grade.

I trying to get oregon kids care. It goes by income. they state that kids with serious problems will get "in" right away, I shudder to think of how long I could wait if my kids where all healthy.