- advertisement -

The War on Women

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by Ellen, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This is scary to read:( I know so many women that have depended on Planned Parenthood, Im one of them. They are about so much more then contraception. They do exams, cancer screenings, counseling and do offer free condoms at most clinics thus reducing the risks of STDs among the people that go there. Ive also known many families that depended on WIC to be able to provide nutricious food for their children.

Why are we taking so many steps back? All thats been accomplished over the decades to support women and families will be gone. If that happens our society is doomed:(

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I was under the impression this was the one disallowed topic on CWD.

I'm sure it's clear how I feel about this topic in general. But specifically here, I prefer to live in a country that does not publicly fund these acts, particularly when they are directed largely at reducing populations of minorities and the disabled. As the mother of a child with a chronic condition impacted by genetic coding present in utero, this topic has become even more personal to me. I'd just as soon not discuss it here, but I will note my point of view and say goodnight.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Well said! :)

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yet 32,000,000 32 MILLION to continue to sponsor nascar by the military branches.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I dont understand what topic your referring to:confused: I personally went to Planned parenthood for 4 years due to the fact that I couldnt afford a doctor at the time to provide that type of care. As I said, PP provides many services to women that wouldnt have access to them otherwise. I think trying to reduce the threat of HIV and AIDs and other diseases that can cause cancer or sterility is something this country should be publicly funding instead of all the stupid pork projects that congress votes in every year

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This has nothing to do with federally funding abortions. To my knowledge, that has never occurred.

I don't give a rat's patootie if someone personally chooses to refrain from contraception. Go forth and multiply, y'all. But I was pretty happy as a poor college student that I had affordable access not only to contraception, but to gyn care at my local Planned Parenthood. Frankly, I don't think my local PP even performed abortions.

Reducing this down to abortion is absurdly simplistic. It's so much more than that.

I'm also not getting the parallel between providing birth control to people who couldn't afford it otherwise and eugenics. That seems to be a tad bit overreaching.

8. frizzyrazzy

many don't. Many are simply health clinics offering services to women in the poorest of our cities and neighborhoods. In fact according to their website, only 3 percent of their services are abortions - yet they offer more than 1 million pap tests and nearly 1 million breast exams. And unless you've been in on and have seen first hand the good and caring things that are being done by the staff in their neighborhoods you have no basis to protest them or try to shut them down. This is basic - women caring for our own.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  9. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Planned Parenthood is hamstrung as it is. You used to be able to go and get a yearly checkup and a whole years worth of birth control pills free when I was in high school. I also went there as an adult for about a year for my needs, when I did not have insurance, and it was very helpful. I don't see why people who are against all abortions are also against family planning and contraception. What am I missing here? Doesn't all that help prevent unwanted pregnancies, and thus unwanted children? I am personally against abortion myself, but that is my CHOICE, and I appreciate having that choice. I dont want the government to tell me a I must have an abortion, like they do in China, or that I can't have one, like some people want it to be here. If I got pregnant and my life was in danger, I honestly do not know what I would do, especially since I have a t1dm child depending on me. I would probably go forth in faith and try to have the child, but I have no idea. But whatever I decided, I would not want some guy in the government telling me what to do. Because of that and all the good work Planned Parenthood does for Family Planning, helping people with health issues, and providing much needed contraception and education, especially for the underprivileged, I suppport it.

10. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Well said!!

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Other than the Catholics, I don't know of many prolife people who are against taking measures to prevent conception. I believe that millions of abortions are done as birth control - the conceived child isn't wanted and abortion is available.

There are lots of organizations who have been brought down because of their misdeeds -- even though they did good things as well.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, by all means let's close down Planned Parenthood and further limit poor folks' access to contraception. Because THAT won't result in more abortions. :rolleyes:

13. frizzyrazzy

and guess which religious group accounts for the second largest number of abortions in the country?? If the Catholic church would allow birth control you'd drop the abortion rate by about 31% and if all the pro-life Protestants out there would stop having abortions too you'd drop it an additional 38%....69% of abortions by two groups who are most vehemently pro-life. Something seems messed up there. ;)

(here are two links to the same data from two opposing sides of the debate, just to show that these stats are not skewed)
    http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html (very pro-life)
    http://atheism.about.com/b/2006/03/...-national-average-catholic-rate-is-higher.htm (very anti-religion)

This is a problem that's WAY bigger than just rhetoric though. And it's a bigger problem than someone simply saying "it's wrong". Because it still happens, and will still happen, and always has happened, unless all the underlying causes are addressed.

This shouldn't be an issue which divides women. It should be one where people on both sides, WOMEN, should be able to come together to do what is best for each other.

14. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Presumably some of the unborn children slaughtered every year are women as well.