- advertisement -

The time you totally screwed up.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by helinut, Feb 3, 2012.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I've never screwed up. From day one, it has been easy as pie to keep BGs under control, and we've calculated every single carb correctly and have always used the control solution. Furthermore, we sleep an average of 10hours per night.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

The above message was brought to you by "PoCWD Wall of Hallucations" - where dreams...ummm....remain dreams??:eek:

Anyway, I have messed up boluses, forgot to buy test strips and had to send DH to the pharmacy at 2am, overbolused, underbolused, wrongly bolused, forgot to bolus, forgot to do a set change and got a low insulin alarm, got a low battery alarm, etc etc etc.

3. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

hahahaha where's the "like" button?

4. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Let's see, which one to share.
    At diagnosis when I let them give her a shot and send her home for the night, they said we would get our education the next day. Well the next day she was so sick, and I thought it was just diabetes which I knew nothing about, turned out she was severely dehydrated so we got our education in the ER, I still let them send her home with me that night. I wasn't a very good advocate for her or myself.
    2 weeks in I switched her NPH and humalog doses and totally panicked! I too thought I had killed her. Her endos office let me know I didn't and BTW that line was only for emergencies. ( we did switch practices 6 wkd after dxs)

The best most recent was last January, she mostly changes her own site and if I do it, she brings me the supplies. I hadn't checked the supply closet and hanna was very high at dinner, almost empty cartridge, and when I checked the closet she had ONE inset that malfunctioned! I managed to find a couple around the house but it being January, on new insurance, an animas rep who forgot to call insurance, and several big snow storms, it took weeks to get our supplies refilled. Our animas rep did drive over a couple insets, and Animas did overnight enough to get us through but that "overnight" took 4 days because of snow. I am right on top of the supplies now, I check the closet constantly

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

In 14.5 years, we have done most of these errors -- Humalog instead of Lantus, running out of insulin before thinking about changing the site, over bolused, underbolus, forgetting to bolus, forgetting to test, forgetting the log book for an endo appointment.

The worst panic I had was running out of cartridges. He could have gone on shots, but I didn't want to.

None of these is very dramatic and seems to be par for course when we try to manually be a pancreas. In truth, we are not good pancreases and are prone to error.

It seems to keep the kids alive, despite our errors.

7. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

DD says she feels low. I say check you sugar. She says 3 forty three. I only hear 43. Ok, eat some nerds (12 carbs). Husband comes home. She rechecks to be over 400 at this point and still rising (I'm like wth). He said why did you just eat candy when you were already high. DD says CUZ MOMMA MADE ME:p.
    So why was she 343 to begin with.....cuz I forgot to dose her for dinner:eek:. So husband says why didn't you tell your mom she had forgot to dose you for dinner and that you shouldn't eat candy at 343.......Cuz I thought she knew what she was doing:rolleyes:

First night time correction (midnight).....Doctor said only give 1 unit if she is over 300 (but this was from diagnoses). Well she was 298 and I decide I'm not going to leave her high all night. So I will give her 2 units.. from checking in the past (during the day) 1 unit was only going to bring her down about 75 points. So I will just stay up and check her in 2 hours. I remember looking at the clock it was 1:30am and I was sitting on the edge of the sofa folding laundry. Next thing I knew it was 5am and I was laying on top of the unfolded laundry. I was in a panic. OMG what have I done. Run up stairs, open strips and they fly every where (was a full 50 in the bottle) I find 1 in the bed, check her and she is a nice 120:D. But I was a mess.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've got a new one for you guys.

This morning my BG was in the 120s and I wanted cereal for breakfast, for which I do a 10-20 minute prebolus. Since I was in the 120s I thought 20 mins would be best, but I was hungry so I put the TV on to distract me. Sadly it was a really good and distracting rerun of Grey's Anatomy, and it wasn't until the end of the show that I realised it had been 45 minutes since I bolused. And I'd bolused 4U for 40g cereal, which is enough to lower my BG by 400-500mg/dl. :eek: BG check showed I was in the 60s and CGM had me dropping at around 15mg/dl per 5 minutes. Needless to say, I drank a lot of juice and then ate my cereal. I didn't get a cereal spike. :p

9. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

***like*** :)

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This isn't so much a mess up so much as a proud mommy moment. My son was pretty sick leading to diagnosis, pretty typical story with weight loss, muscle aches, craving sugar, sleepiness, etc. When the drinking started, what did I say to him (true story!):

"would you quit acting diabetic, it's really pissing me off."

Aren't I a nice mommy? I was able to recognize the signs but in denial that that might actually BE the problem! I had an excuse for everything (growing pains, teenagerness, stock show tiredness....) but never diabetes.

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

:p:pLOL. So funny!!

12. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Biggest mess up? That would be not making sure my daughter was changing the code key in the Aviva meter when she changed containers of test strips. 200 points worth of difference between her actual bg and her "measured" bg. Horrible A1C - over 10, when we were expecting something less than 7. Big lesson learned for us - we don't use the Aviva meter anymore :cwds:.

13. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

My funniest messup to date was when my middle daughter was sleeping in the same bed as her little sister (think it was a scared night) and I go in and test Selah's toe. Wrong person's toe, of course.

14. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

I agree some scary stories above.

My worst was when I corrected a high blood sugar at midnight and when my 2am alarm went off to wake me to re-check my ds I got out of bed (I keep my alarm in the bathroom to force me out of bed) turned it off then climbed back into bed. Thank goodness he felt his low (age 6) and came to wake me up 2.5 hours after correction was given. He was 37. Now if I give a middle of the night correction I stay up.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I've tried to poke Kaylee's finger with a pen instead of the multiclix.. It was the middle of the night and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't working, until I turned on the light and realized.. Also, I've checked the wrong kid, multiple times.:eek: They use to sneak in our bed, and I grabbed the wrong hand.. or when they sneak in each others bed I've done it too...

And Emma, you crack me up. Probably not the best way to get a no spike for cereal. :cool:

16. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

LOL...eek!!

My bad has been giving him levimir/lantus instead of fast acting..which I suppose is the better screw up than the other way around....

17. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

OK Emma, totally off topic but can we please use this as an experiment? About how long after you bolused did your CGM start to show a drop in BG? You can use this as info to time your prebolusing really well. It might give me a rough idea of how much lead time I should use for Jacob too. I know, everyone is different and all that, but I'm still curious.

18. emm142

emm142 Approved members

The drop on the CGM began around 30 minutes after I gave the bolus. With the 15 minute lag time I guess that puts the onset of Apidra at around 15 minutes after the bolus, which seems very quick. I do sometimes feel like the lag time is more like 10 minutes though. So I guess it looks like Apidra starts working for me in around 15-20 minutes. That does also fit with the fact that with my standard prebolus my BG drops a little right before the cereal starts to bring it up again.

19. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

That's classic! lol

20. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

Just recently Harrison had an upset stomach and high ketones. He could not eat anything and BG was progressively going down. Endo said have him sip carbs to get BG up enough to give a correction. I go to the store and get gaterade and sugar soda. He had sipped the soda first and got BG high enough to correct. Did checks every 2 hrs in the night and was low at every check, dont remember the number but it wasn't extreme, it was just lower than I like in the middle of the night. Had him drink the gaterade each time. The next day he says "mom, did you know you got the gaterade zero?" :eek:

Also one day school nurse calls me at work and says he is 400! I called my husband who got him off to school that morning and he says, "I think I forgot to give him insulin this morning."