- advertisement -

The thing I forgot about ketones...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lee, Jul 5, 2014.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Lee -

I neglected to say this previously and feel like an ass.

I'm sorry you and your daughter had to go through this and am really glad she is OK.

Thanks again for thinking of us and sharing your story. I rarely think of ketones even when my son is sick but that changes today.

Take care,

David

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Eat something with carbs.(and give appropriate insulin)

My oldest feels ketones at a pretty low level just over 1.0 and I my youngest had 1.6 (bg 63) just a few weeks ago and felt them. So I guess I am lucky that I have always been able to catch them fairly early in my kiddo.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Like Sarah said, it is really just a reminder that when ill, ketones MUST be checked. If we would have checked, then I could have called the Endo a day or two before DKA came on. It is tough because she is missing a trip that she worked so hard for. But I am glad we decided to hold her back even though she was given the all clear. Today at softball she was struggling and had to quite practice early.

On the flip side of the coin, her grandma bought her the cutest little munchkin! 10509766_10204261748252213_8179511766469195558_n.jpg

4. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

How terrifying, I'm so very sorry this happened to her; poor thing!!!
    Hope that puppy helps her feel better!

5. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm so glad she is doing better.
    Please take it easy on yourself! I'm sure I would've done the same given your daughter's history of not having ketones.

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

When I first read your story I thought to myself that things could have been even more complicated if all of this transpired while she was ON the trip. So perhaps some small consolation there (not as good as the puppy).

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

We have all voiced this. Just one week later and who knows what would have happened.

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

What a scary story, so glad that she is ok now. Thank you for sharing so that we could all be reminded. It has never been an issue for us, but good reminder that you never know when they can become a problem. So scary to think of it happening on the trip. You will be totally prepared when she does get another chance to go away. And of course, like the others have said, try not to beat yourself up. We are not machines, although we may try to be!