- advertisement -

The stress of D is driving me insane...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mojo's mommy, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

Like there is not enough to deal with on a daily basis , I guess the higher up feels the need to turn up the speed...:(

Courtney and her tummy issues are beginning to annoy me. I know it is all in her head so to speak because I have taken all precautions and did the testing for different things, bloodwork, xrays, celiac tests and I don't know what else to do.

This morning was the same as any other, what do you want to eat? Bagel w/ cream cheese..okay. Put in her BS ( 5.0..not alot of room to play with already ) + carbs (34 grams)...1.9 units..okay...15 minutes later she absalutly (sp? ) refuses to eat, is in tears that her tummy hurts. I tell her to go to the bathroom, I stay with her, we are now 50 minutes since her bolus and I am freaking out, on me and her ,I feel terrible now. I was terrified she was going to bottom out on me. I finally got her to sip some ice tea 1 1/2 hours later and she is hovering in the low 5's with a 50 % basal .

I have no doubt she will be fine for years to come but I am not going to survive her Diabetes..:(

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I would say, to make life easier, to not prebolus. We didn't start prebolusing until just recently. What I would do is give her any correction and wait on the food, especially at that age. That will make life a lot easier.

3. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

I would wait to bolus until almost all food has been eaten or completly gone. Especially with the tummy issues. (((HUGS)))

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

I agree with the previous posts. Every child is different, but if yours (like mine) is sometimes a picky eater then you need to wait until the meal is done before bolusing. Sure there will be a brief rise in BG after the meal until the insulin starts to kick in, but that's much better than the stress on you and the bad feelings for her that you're experiencing now..

5. Mojo's mommy

Yeah, I guess I truly have no choice but to start bolusing afterwards..I hate the thought of all the spikes that come along with doing that. We have been having some of the best #s in a year or so.

It is so darn hard to jump over some of these hurdles..

6. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Teri~
    I'm going to PM you

7. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Teri~
    This sounds a lot like what Abby went through. We still have an occasional bout, but nothing like what it was.
    I'm going to attach some links so you can read what I wrote. You might have to look for my reply on the thread. It doesn't go into detail about the time I spent in the bathroom with her time after time. The phone calls from school or daycare complaining of tummy pain. The emotional trouble I was going through, the doctors I sought trying to make her better, and so forth. But it sure sounds a lot like what you are going through.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=4007&highlight=constipation

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=6766&page=6&highlight=stomach+aches

After reading my old posts, I wanted to let you know that even after she was diagnosed the stomach aches still happened. It took about 4 months of several different kinds of medicine, and A LOT of patience. She is doing a lot better, I think we get a tummy ache when we have several days of high sugars. I think that really messes with her bowels.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  8. 3js

3js Approved members

Just a thought, but stomach aches in children are one of the biggest and most chronic symptoms of anxiety. We often think of anxiety as an adult issue, but anxiety disorders are not uncommon in children. Hope things get better! ((hugs))

9. Mojo's mommy

This is something I already suspect. Only I have no idea how to fix that. She seems to be manifesting alot of fears lately and it has raised red flags for me. I feel so badly , if she did not have all this extra stress of D stuff to put up with I don't know if she would be having all these problems and I can't take them away or even make it better.

Lanae,

Thanks for the links to your posts. Wow, you really had a time of it. All that transpired before you knew she had D. I remember a post a week or so back and you had mentioned that her issues seem to have resolved themselves for the most part. I also went across the line last weekend to purchase Miralax as you said it really helped Abby. Courtney has used it every day and she is definetly going but we still seem to have the issues.

I really am at a loss as to what to do now. When things start happening like this morning we are headed into dangerous waters. I could do nothing to get her to put anything in her mouth and was simply praying that she did not bottom out. I am going to have to take her back in I guess and try to figure this out. Wether it is physical or anxiety, I need to get it resolved.

10. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Do you have someone you can talk to? Someone that "gets" what your going through?
    I realize every kid is different, so this might not be the same for Courtney. After dxd Abby also took Prevacid for about 6 months. It was something we had to ween her off of. Abby's bouts were the worst in the morning. The GI doctor told me the acid in her stomach after lying down (sleeping at night) was coming up in the morning after she was up and about. It would give her a tummy ache and sometimes bother her chest area. We gave Abby the prevacid before she got out of bed and in the evening before bed. He also mentioned the "tract" was irritated and this was helping it heal. We never did have Abby scoped. But that was the next step if the prevacid didn't help.
    It got to the point that Abby didn't want to "go". It was scary, painful, and a long process to go the bathroom. The doctor gave me the advice of setting a side 15 minutes at the same time every day for Abby to sit on the toilet and think about going. He advised against a book or something to do, he wanted her to concentrate on going. She didn't always go, almost never, but that was to get rid of the anxiety of going, from all the previous problems she was having.
    I really hope something works for you. Let me know if there is anything I can do. I'm a very good listener! Don't hesitate to contact me if you need to.

11. 3js

3js Approved members

I am dealing with childhood anxiety disorder in my family, that went undiagnosed for several years until it reached crisis level. If you are interested in chatting, or want info on resources just let me know in a pm.

I was surprised to find out how common this is. In fact several BC schools have in-school programs for anxiety disorders.

I agree, either way it`s very stressful. I am often trying to figure out if he`s trying to get out of stuff(it has happened) yet want to give the benefit of the doubt. STRESS!:D

online, one excellent resource based in Vancouver: http://odinbooks.ca/

good luck and take care:)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  12. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I can just say that when I was on NPH, and I was doing prebolusing, I was a nervous wreck. After I started bolusing after her meals, and the beauty of corrections with Lantus, I'm a million time better. With little ones, you never know if they're hungry one minute, no appetite the next. My daughter is also a very light eater, so no snacks except for bedtime. That makes her more likely to eat her main meals. Sometime I give a mid-afternoon snack, if she's been very active, but this week, she's been sick, the weather is horrible, and very inactive, so no snacks to fill her up.