- advertisement -

The Scottish Government has announced it will provide at least ?1 million of funding for NHS boards

Discussion in 'UK' started by Ellen, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

That brilliant. There is similar news in NZ but with a twist. Animas 2020 pumps (only) will be available with luer lock consumables supplied BUT the whole of NZ will only have access to ONE type of meter (the Caresens brand)... :eek:

3. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

It really is good news, we have been campaigning so hard for this breakthrough. Still away to go but a good step in the right direction. For example, Glasgow have only had 6 adult and 15 childrens pumps peer year for the last few years. Now they will have 300 more adults pumps over the next 3 years and 100 kids pumps over the next year!! For anyone interested the full details are here - http://www.ipagscotland.org/images/pdf/cel2012_04.pdf

4. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I'm in the states, a huge proponent of national health care here (though I know it'll never happen), an RN (no longer providing direct patient care), and mom of a T1D having trouble getting supplies. This thread makes my heart smile and creates a sense of happiness for CWDs in your country. At the same time, it makes me cry about kids here. I don't understand the barriers to good health care coverage in our country, but to think that all T1D children have access to what they need for managing D would be largely untrue. Congrats - you have fought hard and advocated for positive change, and I'm glad to see it come to fruition. Now, could your country's health leaders please talk some sense into ours?

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

Alba37,

Will diabetics be able to choose which pump they get or will they be limited to a number of approved pumps? I read the document you linked and there was no mention of which pumps and a quick (I'm on lunch at work!) search of the internet hasn't helped.

As Jane mentioned above, here in New Zealand the medicines and devices funding body has just released a proposal to fund pumps for Type 1s, but only the Animas 2020. I am currently penning a submission to them about their proposal and Scotland seems a comparable country with similar population, it would be useful to know what you are getting. My son actually is on the Animas 2020 but that's because it suits his needs. That's not the optimal pump for everyone.

There's also an issue with them only funding Type 1s as that doesn't include my son but I'll fight our corner on that one.

Any info would be great. Thanks