- advertisement -

The Nurse Is Going To Be The Death Of Me

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, May 8, 2014.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

New School,new nurse. Now I miss our old nurse
    I had to go I to the school today to change Sophie's max bolus. While I was there I though I would be nice and let the nurse know I changed her morning I/c,just in case it was too much.I have never been more frustrated,and even my normally level headed husband is upset The highlights of the conversation are
    1. She informed me Sophie is going mildly low(which dex isn't picking up)at the same time everyday,at least for a week,but never thought to contact me
    2. Parents should not be changing any pump settings and in her mind that is akin to practicing medicine without a license,and informed that that is illegal(duh)
    3. She can not continue to go to Sophie when dex alarms,and she needs to start walking to her office across the building when she has a hypo or hyper.
    4. She is very frustrated with Sophie when Sophie gets upset with lows or false alarms and cries,because she is is afraid. She takes care of 3 t1d all day and because of that she knows what it is like to be diabetic and Sophie is being overly dramatic. I talked to Sophie about it and the feeling I get is she is not confident that the nurse will help her if she has a very serious low and is afraid. That is a whole 'mother issue and we will address it with a therapist
    5. She hates Sophie's dexcom and would appreciate it if we didn't send it to school. She expects the dexcom to always match a fingerstick exactly and doesn't like when it isn't. She also doesn't like that it is catching lows Sophie doesn't feel and thinks if Sophie doesn't feel low then it isn't a real low
    I have spent a lot of time on the phone e today trying to get ahold of someone at the school! district to voice these concerns and come up with a game plan.
    What is up with these nurses in northern Indiana?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It sounds like you need to do some work educating the nurse. Some of the things she is suggesting are not only wrong but may be dangerous for your daughter. She clearly does not understand diabetes management. Do you have a 504 plan or a medical care plan that the school is following? Have you sat down and gone over it with the school staff and this nurse yet? If not, maybe it would be helpful to have a meeting with the nurse when things are calm and go over exactly what your expectations are in a non-combative, collaborative way. See if that helps and if it doesn't then you can take it to the next level. She needs to understand that you are the one in charge and she is a partner who carries out your instructions when your child is in her care. Good luck.

3. wearingtaci

she is refusing to follow the medical plan.She will not allow Sophie to correct in between meals,won't let her check for ketones when she is high and I just found out that when Sophie did a correction through the pump between meals the nurse threatened her with the school's zero tolerance policy on drugs.
    I miss the old nurse

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

OK, this is more serious than it seemed from your first post. If the nurse is refusing to follow the plan and threatening your child then yes, I agree that you need to take this to the next level, and quick! Maybe even two levels up!

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I would put a stop to this immediately by going to the principal and telling them that she is endangering your daughter with her actions. I would request a new 504 meeting to go over accommodations and meet with student health services or whoever is the new nurses boss and get this all straightened out ASAP.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Put your concerns in writing so there's a paper trail. Present these concerns ASAP to the principal, and to the nurse's superior.

Quote facts, not hearsay. (She'll never admit to the zero tolerance threat.)

If the nurse is not following the medical plan, she is most likely breaking the law. She can and SHOULD be disciplined or dismissed. It is not in her job description to approve or disapprove of the CGM.

If it's not already there, the endo can authorize a parent to make the call on dosing, etc., and that should be in the health plan.

If you continue making calls (in addition to your paper complaint) you may want to start at a higher level and work your way down. "Endangering" is a strong word, but it applies, and it should get you somewhere.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Start a paper trail. I'd also let your endo know in writing what is going on. Email school principal and the nurses superior.
    I laugh because she says parents changing pump settings boarders on illegal, but so does refusing to follow a plan issued by a doctor. She is making school an unsafe environment for your child by not following these orders (and most likely not following the orders of the other T1's in the school too).

8. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Oh boy this nurse sounds like a real nightmare. I would go directly to the Principal.

In September my daughter will be getting a new nurse (we had her the past 5 years) as she is retiring. She has been nothing but great and I am so scared of dealing with someone new.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I wouldn't spend any more time screwing around with this nurse. Set up a meeting with the principal (and if your district has a head nurse, I'd include her). If you're not satisfied, take it to the superintendent. This woman is a major liability, and has no business being a school nurse.

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

What hawkeyegirl said!

Your story set my blood boiling, and I'm curious to know what has transpired since your last post. Please let us know when you get the chance, and I sincerely hope that your situation has been favorably resolved.

11. wearingtaci

Sorry for no update. I had my wisdom teeth removed,and now I regret it
    For the first issue I basically went to the principal with a copy of Sophie's medical care plan and went over it line by line,deciphered what the principal didn't understand and told her that I am always just a phone call PR email away and always have been. I told her I was unhappy with the entire"system",because it was the opposite of Sophie's medical care plan
    Fast forward to last Friday,I have to go into the school to take cash for a field trip fee(apparently this school doesn't take checks)and I ask since arents aren't allowed to chaperone who will be trained on the field trip for the D kids(there are 4 in the school).I was told"there is a first aid station at the ball park"and"a fire station a block away"for the field trip a week later.My eyes must have bugged out because everyone got really quiet and I was trying hard to keep ot together and I said,that is completely unacceptable and dangerous. If she needs emergency treatment she will need it now,not in a few minutes
    I have another meeting Tuesday. I have always loved the idea of homeschooling and this may be the school to push me over the edge to just do it