- advertisement -

The next big thing?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Jun 2, 2014.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Just spit balling here.

Many, including me, have called the most recent CGMs (Dexcom G4 and Enlite) "game changing" T1D management tools.

In your opinion, what technology in the pipeline would have an equal marginal benefit to you and your child as the CGM has had?

2. Don

Don Approved members

Interesting topic. Future improvement in bg meter accuracy will be helpful but I don't think they will equal the marginal benefit of CGM. I suppose the Artificial Pancreas is next up followed by beta cell implantation in a protective pouch, and finally (if ever) Smart Insulin. Smart Insulin would be amazing, a functional cure requiring just one shot a day, no fingersticking, no pump, and no CGM needed. I'll take that!

3. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

For me, I think the bionic pancreas (closed loop pump) would be of equal marginal benefit to us as the CGM. I know that's a big statement, but it's just a testament to how much we have benefited by the CGM. We would still have the risk of site/pump failure and we would have to change sites every 3 days or so, but it would certainly qualify as "game changing".

Other proposed BG reading technology (bloodless, ear lobe, contact lenses, etc ...) would be great, but on the margin would not be as big an improvement as the CGM, IMO.

Ideas in the pipeline that would comfortably surpass the marginal benefit of the CGM include smart insulin, bio-artificial pancreas and a cure.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I'm looking forward to a more affordable, easier to use for non-emergencies version of glucagon. Being able to treat a low without eating or without having to think about a temp basal would improve our day to day life. My daughter, for one, would prefer a shot over waking up to eat. And being able to carry this option when we are out and about instead of lugging around juice or tabs or wondering if Skittles melt...I wold love it.

Bloodless bg testing. Contacts, ear lobes, tattoos...anything that would work would make my children very, very happy.

In the here and now, we are working on getting our CGM in the Cloud system up and running and I'm looking very forward to it's positive impact for my kids and their ability to be more independent (as in away from us, not as in 'in charge and fully responsible for care'.)

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Closed loop pump.

6. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

But we wouldn't be able prebolus with it, right? Our kids would have spike after every meal? or am I missing something? :confused:

7. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

I love our G4, but would love this one http://tinyurl.com/mxwoxlf even more :wink:

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I think I read somewhere that at least on one of them, you can alert the system to a small, medium, or large meal coming soon. But I would still think spikes would be worse unless you intentional told it larger?

Personally, I like the possibility of the combination of AAT with a beta cell transplant. If that works, it would be far better than any mechanical substitute.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

CGM readings in real time from anywhere, without needing own cell/wifi coverage, with the ability to customize alarms or alerts. While I am dreaming, a fail safe system to have the CGM data monitored at night by someone/some thing else to include alerts to ??? or hourglass.

Also, to be able to safely and securely control the pump remotely, to be able to put the real Time CGM data to real use.

These are the two "tech/hardware/software" type of things that would make a difference to me.

I am not looking forward to the AP or BP, instead I would love to see the "complete" biological encapsulated islets.

And honestly I even think I would take Smart Insulin over the AP or BP!

10. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Don't stone me :beaten:
    From what I have read about implantable islet cells,I think we would hope for a closed loop system first. Unless the immune response that destroyed her own islet cells in the first place can be stopped it seems like another bandaid. I would also want to know about rejection and the side effects of the meds needed after implantation before we would consider it,if it ever came to be

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

"encapsulated islets" the immune system can not get in, but insulin, glycogen, and amylin can get out. There is no immune suppressants in this system, it is different from islet transplantation.

12. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

In order of when I think/wish/hope/pray things will happen

1) An accurate (say within 5 units of actual, 99.9% of the time) CGM *without* backup fingersticks
    2) the closed loop system (you need #1 to have real faith in #2)
    3) something they can implant that will act like a pancreas....that keeps a kid in perpetual honeymoon (biohub/cell pouch, encapsulife, islet sheet, encaptra)
    4) something they can can implant that will act like pancreas, and in fact will be a cure. (see list above)

But for today I am thankful we kept DS between the lines most of the day.

13. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members