- advertisement -

the MM 630 suspending when not low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetpea, Oct 17, 2016.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Approved members

I have not posted for several years. My dd is off to college next year. Until now things have been running pretty smoothly the last few years. She has been on an Animas Vibe and Dexcom. This past week we tried the MM 630 hoping to transition to the 670 before the next fall. Problem is the MM 630 has suspended most nights this past week when she was not low. Sometimes she is over 100 higher than the MM thinks. Last night the MM thougtht she was 40 and suspended for 2 hours. She could not get it to redeliver basal. She was 165 according to her meter and Dexcom. This morning the MM refused calibration and wants a new sensor. We just did that yesterday. She has continued to wear the Dexcom this week since the sensor was already in. Dexcom has been much more accurate than the MM. Anyone else have trouble with the suspend on low feature? We are now thinking this is not how we want to send her to college.

2. samson

samson Approved members

Does she still have her Animas Vibe still? Perhaps rely on that and Dexcom until the 670 G Guardian sensors come out. Word is that this next generation of MM sensor is supposed to be better than the current one. Not quite as good as Dexcom but not dangerously unreliable either.

3. sweetpea

sweetpea Approved members

I have thought about keeping the MM pump and using the Dexcom. We are doing a 6-week trial so have time to decide. The 630 is supposed to be better than the 530 but it is not working well for us. I am concerned that the 670 will not be enough of an improvement.

Like everyone here, I want to make the best decision. I still remember how I felt when I dropped her off for kindergarten. I think college will be worse. I am afraid she will be on her own at night. My first roommate in college would not have been helpful. She was either out all night or passed out. We are able to use Dexcom share now and could call her if needed. The 630 does not have an phone app. Minimed is not sure if the 670 will have an app.

I should add that her pump is out of warranty but still functioning. The other option we are considering is getting a new Vibe now and keeping the old one so she would go off to school with a backup in case of pump failure. We started the process for the Vibe when the MM 670 was announced.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  4. samson

samson Approved members

Good point, sweetpea, no way would we be willing to go through the night without an app or some way of alarming if our son went low. Especially in college. Agreed that roommates should not be relied upon for anything.

5. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

I agree, college roommates can be a mixed bag....

After talking with our endo, he is leery of the MM 670, even with the new sensor.

Time magazine rated the MM CGM as one of the best on the market. Well, we've obviously seen how awfully it performs. And now you can see that. Would I want a slightly better sensor making pump decisions on auto....not until I've seen it work in lots and lots of people in real life!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Sounds like so far the Medtronic sensors haven't changed a bit from what I remember.

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I wouldn't use the MM630 to decide about the 670G since the sensors and algorithm are different and the pump itself works in a very different manner. The reviews from people who used the 670 in the clinical trial are pretty good. I would call minimed though about the issue of not being able to undo the suspend. That should be fixable or at least was with the 530 (or whatever it was called, I can't keep track of the numbers).

Do you have a G5? You could probably work something out so she wakes up to alarms on her phone. I wake up to alarms on my phone much more easily than to those on the receiver.

Have you considered a tslim? The new ones will be remotely upgradable to their low glucose suspend (and future versions of it) once it comes out and it uses the Dexcom. They are saying mid to late 2017 I think for the release but I don't completely buy that. At least if you were to get insurance to pay for a tslim it would be something you could easily upgrade. And her current vibe can be kept for back up easily since it uses the same sites.