- advertisement -

The Hannah Montana episode is FINALLY coming

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by allisa, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I thought the same thing and no, he said he has not seen the episode.

"I have not seen the show and in reading the script thought it made the opposite point that other children should not try to be the "food police". If that is not the case then I am disappointed. It was certainly not my intention to do harm nor do I think it was the intention of the show.
    Andrew Drexler"

He didn't respond to any of my email accept the "food Police" part. Didn't even address if he thought "Sugar Boy" was appropriate.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Dr. Drexler has a lengthy and reputable history in endocrinology. I wonder if we appealed to him - or worked on him - pointing out how having his name attached to this travesty brings his reputation into question... wonder if he'd care?

3. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Thank you JordansMom for investigating with the doctor.

I think that would be mean to point that out to him. It's not his fault that Disney F'ed up. He probably will realize that on his own.

4. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I wasn't suggesting we do it to be mean. My hope was maybe he'd be able to do something - get that PSA in there - something.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby's teacher is going to have the kids do a letter writing campaign! She (she has T1) was appalled that they refered to Oliver as "Sugar Boy" she says not only is it insulting to us with D but it's bullying!

6. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

awesome!!!

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Ilesha got a copy of teh script a long time ago
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=16959
    and it didn't' sound bad. I suspect "sugar boy" wasn't in there. And Miley shoving cake/ice cream in her face wasn't in there, and Oliver diving into the garbage wasn't in there.

So I suspect that what the dr gave info on, AND what the script said, to him were fine. But it's the final product that differs.

8. Beach bum

Ok, I emailed Mr. Iger and Mr. Ross. I probably won't hear anything but I got it off my chest.

9. frizzyrazzy

we'll see, maybe we'll hear...who knows.

10. Beach bum

Is this bootleg copy on YouTube the one we will definitely see on Sun?

11. frizzyrazzy

this is the silliest thing..but here goes.
    my brother sent all this info to his girlfriend
    his girl friend sent the info to her friend who's child (I think child, or niece) has diabetes.
    Her friend sends a note back saying "there's a diabetes blog that has info on this" and brothers girl friend tells me "It's Kerri somebody" blog.
    I say "who do you think told Kerri?" lol.

This diabetes world is a small one isnt' it?

12. frizzyrazzy

yes, because from what I understand, some cable companies make these shows available "on demand" earlier than they air. Someone in this thread said they see it on Verizon. So yes, this is the episode that is going to air.

13. Beach bum

12 degrees of seperation!

Yes, we are small, that's why we need to be a united front in situations like these!

People with Diabetes UNITE!

14. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Isn't it six degrees of separation?

15. Beach bum

Ooops! Yep, it is.:D

16. MLH

MLH Approved members

mean disney

:( I watched parts and was not too upset. I watched it a whole time and started hysterically crying. :confused: Diabetics need 2 see this so they can clear up confusion and so they can be prepared when people ask them about it. My mom eMailed my teacher and I am going to present 2 my , class and tell my nurse. One thing, I think when they called him sugar boy they meant because he loved sugar.:eek: DISNEY, BRUSH UP ON YOUR FACTS!!!
    AGH

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  17. MLH

MLH Approved members

When Analeigh and I watched this we tried to focus on the good things about the episode. Such as, what the nurse said, and the fact that Miley and Lily tell Oliver they can't make it go away and they will help him. Your true friends will stick by you no matter what. We also thought that Oliver's rap was good too!:)

Everything else was horrible.

18. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Great job, Kaelynn!!! That is awesome that she was able to speak up and explain it to the teacher. I hope the teacher listened and learned something that day.

19. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

So the response from Dr. Drexler was bugging me, so I wrote back and got another response from him.

My email:

Dear Sir,
    I understand that the show may have evolved as it went through production. But I find it very hard to believe that the intent of what I saw was ever anything but mockery and cruelty toward those afflicted with Diabetes. Are you comfortable with seeing a Diabetic child climbing into a garbage can to feed his sugar addiction with a half eaten candy bar? Do you feel it's appropriate for a rolemodel to millions of children to call a Diabetic child Sugar Boy? And no sir, the program did not send the message that children should not be food police, when the entire show centered around Oliver craving sugar and Miley and Lilly grabbing it from him and stuffing their mouths instead.
    Whether or not you were aware of the production's final result, your professional reputation is affected.

It would help the situation if the damage were mitigated by a public service announcement during the program that explains the realities of diabetes. It is especially disappointing that Disney would choose to air such a disgraceful example of Diabetes during Diabetes Awareness month. A tremendous opportunity for education was horribly squandered.

His response:

As I said I have not seen the show and was not aware in the script that I saw over a year ago that there was a scene of a child in a garbage can. I have no association at all with Disney and have never worked with them before or after. I certainly think that it would be appropriate for you and others you know to contact Disney. It does appear that there were changes over the past year.
    Andrew Drexler

So he apparently had no clue and won't be of help. Atleast he was nice enough to respond twice. (I still hope he feels bad).

20. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I have a doctor friend who knows a few consultants for popular television shows (typically primetime or discovery shows). She has told me several times that these consultants have called her to ask if a particular scenario is possible, not even probable or realistic, but just in some realm possible. The bottom line is that in most cases these consultants are asked to give a loosely based opinion, specific to the particulars of the medical condition, whether or not the show's production staff chooses to listen is anyone's guess. She actually cringes to watch these shows because the inaccuracies portrayed are so glaringly obvious to most medical professionals. I honestly, don't really fault Dr. Drexler. It sounds like he tried and Disney did not listen.