- advertisement -

The Hannah Montana episode is FINALLY coming

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by allisa, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I hate to be pessimist here, but it IS all about the numbers, and the reality of this is for each person that they end up pissing off, they'll gain 100 more fans because they'll see this material as funny stuff. Looks like they have a winning formula. I wish I owned Disney stock...not.

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

In the episode of Hannah Montana set to air on November 2, they discover that their friend Oliver has diabetes. If your children watch the show, I just wanted to clear up some misinformation. I have already seen the episode as they plan to air it, and I was saddened. I'm not really sure why I expected more from Disney and Hannah Montana, but I did.

The episode is entitled "No sugar, sugar.." because after they discover Oliver has diabetes they feel it necessary to keep him away from any sweets and in typical Hannah fashion, the mayhem follows. Oliver even dives into a trash can to retrieve a half-eaten candy bar and gives a heart-tugging talk at the end of the show about how he wants sweets so much but can't have them. I did not hear anything mentioned about taking insulin or checking his blood sugar or anything about staying healthy with diabetes except no sugar.

I have a 6 year old with Type 1 diabetes. We hear from the food police quite often when our child is having a sweet treat, so this episode and its perpetuation of that out-dated thinking is disturbing. Diabetes does not keep my child from eating anything that your child does. The only difference is that I have to give her insulin so her body can use those carbs. My child's body sees carbs as carbs. Yes, there are simple carbs and complex carbs, but a banana or a baked potato can raise her blood sugar worse than a candy bar or cotton candy. Do I let her have sweets all the time? No, because I am concerned for her overall health, I limit her intake of cake, candy, etc. You probably do the same with your kids.

Living with diabetes is like walking a tightrope while juggling. You are constantly juggling carb intake, insulin doses, and (the final ball includes) activity level, emotions, stress (and a myriad of other things that affect blood sugar). If you fall off on one side, you have hyperglycemia or high blood sugar. The higher the blood sugar over a long period of time, the greater likelihood for complications later. The other side of the tightrope is hypoglycemia or low blood sugar which can be very dangerous in the short term. In order to keep our child healthy, we check her blood sugar levels at least 6 times a day - sometimes up to 12 on a bad day. This involves sticking her finger with a lancet every time. Some children I know take insulin in up to 4-6 injections per day. Our child is on an insulin pump which involves the insertion of a small tube into her fatty tissue. This has to be changed every 3 days, and yes, it involves an injection. None of this is depicted in this episode - just no sugar.

If your children watch Hannah Montana, please let the know the facts about Type 1 diabetes.

Thanks,

Carol

This is what I sent out to all my e-mail contacts that have kids in the Hannah Montana age range.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

4. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I had a feeling Kerri would blog about this. Thanks for letting me know, Michelle. I haven't checked SUM yet today.

5. musicjunkie

musicjunkie Approved members

we love you too kerri:d

6. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I'm really not sure what I found more disturbing - the diabetes part or the middle section where Miley's brother is getting ready to make out on the couch with his girl-friend after he gets his dad out of the room.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

I resent my letter to Disney - again! I also sent my letter to my local new station, newspaper, and I know it sounds goofy - but Perrez Hilton! He has spotlighted JDRF on a few occasions, and he HATES Miley, so what the heck!

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

What an excellent idea, Becky!!!!!!!! Great to see you back by the way!! Hugs!!! :cwds::cwds:

9. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I'm just catching up on all of this (just watched the video online too). Honestly, I wasn't all that shocked. This is the company that gave us that stellar Suite Life episode where Zach gives up sugar, right? I expected for it to be grossly inaccurate and, those Disney folks, boy they rarely fail to deliver!

Samantha hates Hannah Montana (used to be an avid watcher) and when I told her about the contents of the episode she called them morons and said that Miley should know better since she dated Nick. Fortunately most of the girls in her grade don't watch the show anymore, so it looks like she won't have to do much in the way of de-programming. Sadly there are kids all over this country that can't say the same thing, so I'll be sending off a scathing letter to the Disney folks today. I really wonder why they even bothered to do an episode about diabetes when it was so completely devoid of fact.

10. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Very good point, Jordansmom!

11. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Ugh, I can't even bring myself to watch it yet. I know I need to though in order to write a letter.

Lia hasn't watched much of Hannah Montana or anything else on the Disney channel lately. I'm wondering if I should just let her not see it which is likely at this point or if I should talk to her about it and see if she wants to watch as so many of her friends likely will and may mention it.

How much control, if any, does Miley Cyrus have over the scripts? I almost wonder if she wanted them to make Nick Jonas mad since they broke up? But then, I really doubt she has that much say over the scripts....but who knows?

12. jmcole1

jmcole1 Approved members

My cable company (Verizon) has this "on-demand" feature and shows get put on there early. So, even though Disney Channel won't air this episode until Sunday it is already airing "on-demand". My kids watch most of the Disney shows that way. They get "posted" up to a week before they play on the regular channel. They can watch it that way without commercials. My dd9 just showed me No sugar, sugar is on there already. I wonder how the Jonas Family feels about this episode?

JC

13. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Don't under estimate the power of CWD..lol

14. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I really think we should organize a letter writing campaign. it's sure worth a shot! Maybe if we all send multiple letters, one per day for a month... ? :) Or more... even if it were the same letter over and over it could drive them mad.

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I agree. I know WHY they do these episodes, and I know they don't care what the content is, but someone out there must realize how horrible this episode is and how harmful it is.

maybe if we just keep calling Disney TV directly?

16. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Unfortunately I think Alyce's friend is right, but it won't stop me from doing my part in writing in. The Medical consultant did repy to my email to say he had read the script and didn't see any problems and that his intentions and the intentions of the show were good. It is impossible to believe after watching that they had any intention other than crude humor at the cost of kids with Diabetes. anyway Dr. Drexler is atleast reading the emails he's getting.

Thanks to Michelle for digging deep enough to find good addresses for Disney and for contacting Jeff. I didn't really want to stir things up being new here. But I thought all along Jeff's voice in this could make an impact.

Thanks to everyone here for all the great support even if you aren't affected personally.

17. BozziesMom

Lock up the switchboard? :)

18. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Whats the #?

19. BozziesMom

I am pretty sure that reading the script does not necessary equate to seeing the episode. Lines are changed on the fly, and how it's directed can completely change the feel of the presentation... then there's the final editing. By the time the show airs, it may bear little resemblance to the written script.

I wonder if he watched the show...

20. BozziesMom

I believe (818) 560-5151