- advertisement -

The Hannah Montana episode is FINALLY coming

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by allisa, Oct 26, 2008.

1. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

OK, a couple of thoughts from Sleep Deprivationville:

1) Michelle I am sooooo angry that the show made Ian cry. I am also angry for any other of our kids who reacted with sadness or confusion. I think your email was stellar!

2) Maybe extend the email campaign to local ABC affiliates and Good Morning America, playing up the irony of their November Sweeps dropping a diabetes stinkbomb during Diabetes Awareness Month. ETA: I have no idea where I pulled ABC from. No idea at all. I should try sleep at night instead of CWD.

3) Re Brothers and Sisters, I am hoping that they will eventually bring Paige's diabetes into another episode. Till then I am telling myself that Paige is quietly going about her childhood like any other kid regardless of diabetes. Apparently some of the cast participated in a Walk around the time that the diabetes episode aired. And probably never since.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. ToddsMom

ToddsMom Approved members

That made me very sad when I read how the show made Ian and the other children who watched it feel.

Really good letter, Michelle. You didn't miss anything.

I am really disappointed in Disney. Didn't Miley date Nick? I guess she didn't notice he ate sugar?:mad: And there was a doctor consult!!:mad: I don't even know what to say.

3. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

my cynical 13 yo made the observation that they probably didn't care about giving correct information, just about cashing in because diabetes is such a hot topic due to Nick Jonas. I wonder what he and his parents think, if they even bother to watch Hannah Montana. My 8 yo loves her but my 11 yo type 1 daughter hates her, the episode made her pretty mad.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I just wanted to send my big hugs of support to the kids and parents who were upset by the show. I've seen a couple of the HM shows on German TV, and they're not my type of shows;).

Please tell your kids they are the best, most brave and awesome kids ever, with parents to match;) and that we will find a way to educate people.

That said, I say let's make our own CWD informational video (hint, hint) and put forth everything we want to mention. We could then send a copy to all big TV stations.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

The show doesn’t really deal with serious issues, generally just very trivial issues. I don’t know why they would change the formula. Miley Cyrus is supposed to be well acquainted with nick Jonas, but in one interview I read nick talks at length about watching his “starches.” Just the term starches sounds like a term that someone’s grandma would use.

I guess the only positive thing is that it reinforces that you don’t to be fat, old, or somehow responsible for your fait if you have diabetes.

I have witnessed people who were type 1 being chastised for eating sugary food, and they just proceed to explain that their diabetes is the opposite and they need to eat sugary foods sometimes in order to maintain their health. In those cases they are not treating a low.

The explanation seems to shut people up, and it is at most people’s intellectual level. I could just never bring myself to provide this explanation because I hate to spread misinformation.

6. Jana

Jana Approved members

This is absolutely horrible. Getting all the info wrong is bad enough, but making jokes and mocking people with diabetes is just plain mean.

Michelle...your letter is wonderful. As soon as I've had a bit more coffee, I'll write my own. Maybe, if letters come pouring in, they'll rethink the episode. I'm so sorry that seeing it has upset Ian and other kiddos.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Great Job Michelle.
    I actually am going to talk to Abby's teacher this am about the episode.

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Thanks for all the information here. Michelle I'm so sorry for Ian's heart to be broken and for all the kids. I will do my part rest assured! :cwds::cwds:

9. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

This episode crossed the line, but I don't think the subject should be banished entirely. Since the episode has already been posted on YouTube, maybe they can pull it from airing this Sunday and shoot a better informed one and show it later?

But there is a lot of work in making a TV show, and they probably aren't willing to fix their mistake.

I just don't want it to be like Suite Life's "Smart and Smarterer" about Bob having dyslexia (except that one was not offensive and was at least a little bit informative; the parents group that got that banned was overreacting--I know people with dyslexia who hate that that episode got banned).

I'm sending an email to the company proposing that they pull the episode, but instead of banning the subject forever, they should air a more informative and less offensive (knowing Disney, they can't totally remove the offense factor) episode.

If they start on filming the episode soon enough (like almost immediately or by the beginning of next week), they might be able to have it done and air it by the end of November. (I only say this because Disney shot something on the 30th & 31 of August and maneged to have something amazing on Disney Channel only 2 weeks later).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Michelle and I have been in contact with Jeff to discuss a coordinated CDW response. He's looking into contact information.

While we cannot stop the show from airing, we can voice our objections collectively and perhaps with greater impact.

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Awesome Sarah!
    A link to this thread would be great too;)

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Filming a new episode is appropriate. But unfortunately, I think this one will air. With all the bad info out there. It's like pandora's box. You can't exactly put it back inside once it's out, and it's hard to 'unlearn' what you're learning.

While I understand that this is"just" a kids tv show, kids do listen to the messages they are getting. Obviously, at the end of the show Miley and the other little girl made sure that Oliver knew he was the same kid and they were still his friends, good message, but calling him sugar boy and the silly stunts over the food were bad. That's the message kids are going to take, because it was the fun part of the show.

I think we just need to spread this messsage around that we won't tolerate this.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No thread to link to, just PM'd him last night to see if it would be possible - We'll let you know if we hear anymore. ;) Or maybe Jeff will post here :cwds:

14. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

That was the most annoying television program I have ever sat through. Makes me glad I don't have kids old enough to watch it.

Very uninformative on the real facts of type 1.

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

here is some contact info:

Write the Head of Disney Channel!
    Rich Ross,
    President and Director of The Disney Channel.
    500 S. Buena Vista Street
    Burbank , CA 91521
    Email: rich.ross@disney.com

Write Disney CEO, Robert Iger!
    Robert A. Iger,
    President and CEO of the Walt Disney Company
    500 S. Buena Vista Street
    Burbank , CA 91521
    Email: robert.a.iger@disney.com

16. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Good job Michelle! I hope it gets a response by somebody that is not only in it for publicity and the money they'll make.

As for Emma, DW and I talked about it last night and decided that when and if she'll watch it, that she's very strong, but also is still very young and this episode might just go over her and her friend's heads. And in a couple years when her friends understands more and Miley will be a drunk has-been and Disney will fire her @ss, it won't be an issue anymore.

17. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

I wonder if they would at least consider doing something like a public service announcement following the episode? Correctly stating facts regarding type 1? Maybe even get Nick Jonas to do it?? He'll be in CA this weekend for the JDRF walk, right?

18. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

This is exactly what I was just about to write. Even some kind of "disclaimer" before hand. Great letter, Michelle. I'm so sad that Ian cried and was upset. I can't stand the whole Miley/Hannah thing, but I know the kids love it. I really hope they do something.

19. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Michelle - Great letter, I am working on one to send. Manning has not watched it but I did and it is terrible. I am so sorry Ian cried. I just want to slap them for making even one of our kids cry. All that they go through everyday, they are the bravest kids I know.

20. musicjunkie

musicjunkie Approved members

My daughter is a big fan,and we will NOT be watching Hannah Montana anymore because of this...I wonder if people just stop watching, then maybe they'll get the message.Right now,all you people watching it on UTube do nothing but boost numbers,and entertainment business is just that...unfortunately ALL about numbers.They don't care about what kind of values or beliefs they install in our kids...as long as the numbers go up in the ratings and they make money...then they'll continue to do it,unfortunatley,right or wrong:eek: