- advertisement -

The Hannah Montana episode is FINALLY coming

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by allisa, Oct 26, 2008.

1. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Michelle, when is it on in our area? I looked at TV guide channel and it says Nov 2. Did you watch it on-line?

2. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

This just makes me sad. :( I feel for all of you with younger children whose friends will watch this episode. It's frustrating enough for parents to listen to all of the misinformation. I can't imagine how it is for the kids.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yes, someone posted a link to it on youtube - I don't think it's aired yet anywhere, but somehow someone got a copy of it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3lyEa3Jjv0

it's broken into 3 parts. Part 2 - near the beginning is the really bad part. REALLY BAD.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My daughter is 12 and skipped a grade. She says all the 13 yr olds still watch it (whether they admit it or not). Don't think it won't make an impression on adults we interact with either. I have inadvertantly seen every Hanna Montana episode atleast 30 times (and I HATE the show).

I am only grateful my DD can't be called "sugarboy" because that part really upset her as it was. Good luck to those of you who have young boys. That was really discrimanatory. What if she had called a handicapped kid crippleboy?

I told my DD to cut it off as best she could before the show aired by telling her friends she'd seen the episode and how badly they portrayed D and then educate them before they see it. That way they will see the flaws themselves when they watch it rather than my DD trying to change their minds after the fact. It will help a little with her older, closer friends.

I'm sorry Emmasdad. You're in a difficult position. I'm glad Jordan already hated Hanna Montana. If she had looked up to her and admired her like most of the young girls in our area she would have been even more devastated.

I'd say don't let Emma see the episode. The problem with that is that they rerun episodes adnauseum. I think that will be the most difficult problem for all of us. It's going to rear it's ugly head everytime they repeat the show.:(

5. frizzyrazzy

I agree with Jordansmom. At first I thought maybe we were all being a little overly dramatic but it made my baby cry and that did me in.

Honest, this is the FIRST time he has ever cried about diabetes. Thank you Freaking Disney. Thank you freaking hannah montana.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I wonder how Nick Jonas feels about his employer (basically that's what they are) calling someone with D "sugar boy."

7. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

I received a quick response from Dr. Drexler. He has not seen the episode and has asked for more info. I am going to watch it more carefully so I can answer his questions. He did also apologize if it was offensive. He may not have much experience with what TV shows can do with good information (make it seem silly, twist it around, etc). Sounds like his intentions were good, though. I will also ask him if he knows anyone associated with the show that we can email.

8. Jordansmom

Exactly how I feel. I didn't expect to fly off the handle and I let Jordan watch it with me hoping it was kind of a mixed bag. But seriously, she totally lost it last night. She is a really strong, pulled together kind of kid. But this stupid show just hit her in a vulnerable, personal, painful place and it was devastating to see. In my mind that makes it alot worse than other things we have gotten riled up over even if it is a stupid kids comedy show.

I just sent my email to the doctor. I plan to watch the show when it's aired and take note of the sponsors and send them a letter as well.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  9. Kris60

Kris60 Approved members

Well, it's not Disney Channel specific, but I did find an email to ABC who owns Disney if I'm correct.

Anne Sweeney, President
    ABC Entertainment
    500 S. Buena Vista St
    Burbank, CA 91521-4551

(818) 560-1000 or
    (212) 456-7777
    netaudr@abc.com

found it here with other network information for future reference

http://www.parentstv.org/PTC/networks/main.asp

I also think Dr. Drexler and ABC needs to have a copy of the link to this thread so they can see just how many parents and especially children they are offending. *sighs*
    Why does it always feel it's us vs them?

10. chocoholicsc

chocoholicsc Approved members

I absolutely am IN for an email protest on this one. It just makes me so mad that the writers and producers of the show could have had a great opportunity to educate the general population on an issue that so greatly effects so many children each year....and instead, they totally bombed it!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    I don't happen to follow the who's-seeing-who in hollywood, but didn't Miley have a 'thing' at some point with Nick Jonas...? I just would have expected so much more than what this show produced on this topic.
    Of course Christopher could care less about hannah montanna, but you better believe his older sisters look forward to each new episode!!
    Just a few weeks back my oldest daughter actually got into a dispute with a substitute Sunday School teacher who asked the children for prayer requests. Kaelynn asked for prayers for her brother who has type 1, and the teacher proceeds to pray for strength for our family in taking away all the sugar and sweets from his diet....! When the prayer time was over Kaelynn (who never says "boo" to anyone) decides to take that opportunity to set the record straight about the fact that her brother can still have sweets and sugar as long as we dose him for it. The teacher pats her on the head and insists that a child with D will have a long life of eliminating sugary sweets and finding substitutes for things other boys and girls can have...:)eek:)
    My daughter then said that our endocrinologist lets him have sweets because he gets insulin to cover it, AND that there are some times, (low) that he needs sweets quickly! The teacher said nothing more about it.
    We were very proud of her!! Shows like this one go along way to perpetuate the OLD ways.

11. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I couldn't find any e-mail addresses on Disney's official website other than the fake(I assume they are fake) one they have set up for kids to 'e-mail' thier favorite character.

12. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

If you want to send through snail mail (not the fastest method, I know :rolleyes:), you can send to:

Disney Channel
    3800 W. Alameda Avenue
    Burbank, CA 90211 (or 91505, I've found both listed, but the first one is listed more)

or this one might go directly to the people who worked on Hannah Montana:

Hannah Montana
    c/o Disney Channel
    3800 W. Alameda Avenue
    Burbank, CA 90211 (again, or 91505)

Sorry, it's snail mail, but if anybody wants to use that method...

I know that PBS stations would rather people send them snail mail (then again, Disney isn't PBS)

13. frizzyrazzy

i've used the ABC email for now. We'll see if anything happens. Perhaps I'll get a response. :

Hello,
    I'm hoping you can help me. I am trying to contact anyone about a program that is set to air on the Disney Channel on Sunday. The program is an episode of Hannah Montana called "No sugar sugar". In the episode a character , Oliver, is found to have diabetes. What follows, instead of a mature and informative handling of a very serious disease which effects thousands of children, can best be described as painful and at worst hateful. The main character Miley not only calls the boy "sugar boy" but talks throughout the episode about withholding sugar from the boy. The boy is portrayed as being obsessed with candy, to the extent that he throws himself into a garbage pail to extract a half eaten candy bar.

I can not begin to describe the pain that I felt as I watched this episode online, but what's worse, the pain that my 8 year old son felt as he watched it. My son has Type 1 diabetes. My son has never once in the 3 years that he's had diabetes shown anything but bravery and courage when dealing with his disease. But today, while watching this episode with me he cried. For the first time in 3 years diabetes made him cry. Your program made him cry. We watched the episode together in preparation for what we're sure will come from his classmates after this episode airs; calling him sugar boy , being told he cannot eat certain foods, all the unfounded and misinformed stereotypes that we have worked so hard to dispel.

Let me be clear. Children (and adults) with Type 1 Diabetes CAN and DO eat all foods. ALL FOODS. This includes candy and sugar. Children with Type 1 Diabetes simply take appropriate amounts of insulin to match their food intake. They need insulin for all foods with carbohydrates, from fruits and vegetables to pasta and snickers bars. All food.

I'm shocked and saddened that during November, the month that is put aside for Diabetes Awareness, your company has decided to air a program that not only makes fun of this very serious disease but perpetuates misinformation. Would you allow a child in a wheelchair called "cripple boy" or a girl with a learning disability be called "retard"? Certainly not. These things are not funny, in any sense. We try to teach our children to respect all other children, yet you have decided to create a program which does just the opposite.

The only responsible remedy for this situation is for ABC and Disney to pull this episode and never let it see air time.

Thank you

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Nice work Michelle:cwds:

15. chocoholicsc

chocoholicsc Approved members

Great job, Michelle!! Very well said!!:)

16. frizzyrazzy

I'm also sending out an email hoping to start a chain (this is the message I posted to my parents group, it's similar to my letter above) maybe you all could do the same. Perhaps if nothing else we can get the message out before this show airs:

Since all our kids are the same age I know many of them watch Hannah Montana. Ian does. All the kids (especially the girls do) at school. Well on Sunday there is a new episode airing titled, "No sugar, sugar". It's about how Oliver gets diabetes. Considering that November is Diabetes Awarness month you'd think that Disney could get this right, but you'd be wrong. They got it very wrong. Very very wrong. In the episode Oliver is portreyed as a candy obsessed feind - falling into garbage pails to get a half eaten candy bar. Talking about sugar, sugar sugar. Miley calls him (behind his back) "sugar boy. " Can you imagine if they had a child in a wheelchair and he was called "cripple boy" or a child with a learning disability and they called her "retard"? No, you can't because these things aren't funny. Yet Disney has chosen to create an episode that depicts a very serious disease as a laughing matter.

I know I've explained to you guys before, but kids with diabetes can eat everything. We simply give insulin for any carbs that are eaten. From fruits and veggies to pasta and snickers bars. All carbs need insulin and once they are eaten the body doesn't care where they came from, we just give the insulin to match. But this tv show is perpetuating myths and misconceptions that are so outdated it isn't funny. What's more, it's setting kids like Ian up for ridicule and teasing at school. We try hard to make sure Ian, and kids like him, have a very normal life. And there is no reason why they can't. The last thing they need is to go to school on Monday morning and have kids call them "sugar boy" or start telling them what they can and cannot eat.

I'm asking that if you feel that this is important, and I hope you do, that you share this message with your friends who have kids in this age group. We are trying to educate as many people as possible over the next few days, so that when the episode airs children everywhere will know that what they're seeing on TV is nothing but a pack of lies. It's never ok to make fun of people with any disease. This is the message I hope we're sharing with our children.

Thanks.

17. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I wish they could have at least gotten the information right. Even us with type 2 eat sugar. What is it? They had an endocrinologist and they still couldn't get the information right. Sorry time for some serious emailing.

18. Jordansmom

Great Job Michelle! And good idea.

Has anyone stopped to think that CWDs FFL is always booked at Disneyworld? You'd think Disney could do better by our community.:(

19. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Maybe we should go over to Universal Studios in 2010.

20. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Michelle that was written very well. I hope you don't mind if I steal your verbage for an email to friends and family?