- advertisement -

The Hannah Montana episode is FINALLY coming

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by allisa, Oct 26, 2008.

1. allisa

allisa Approved members

I think I saw a commercial for the much anticipated & talked about Hannah Montana where Oliver ( is that his name ? ) is dxd with Diabetes.

My kids were watching Disney chanel today and I saw a commercial.....it started by saying something like " what is Oliver's big secret"......it showed him angry with the 2 girls and saying " he didn't want to talk about it, leave me alone, mind your business" and the girls were worried about him and saying they were his friend they wanted tohelp, An adult I did not recognize said to them " this is all new to him, give him some time, he will tell you when he is ready".

So....looks like it is here....said it would air NEXT sunday....the 2nd......

here is hoping that it gets protrayed well and we get some REAL facts out.....

2. linda

linda Approved members

Yes...Em mentioned it, she says Miley is such a bad actress...well see..hope it portrays real life....not like the dissapering child with D like on Brothers and Sisters...what ever happened to her anyway???????:confused:

3. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I didn't watch it all yet, but heres the link to the episode on youtube...the two other parts are in the videos description. :) Just incase you couldn't wait! I'm watching it with my little sister now! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3lyEa3Jjv0

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  4. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Update...finished the second part...it kind of got on my nerves with all the "no sugar" talk...:(:mad::(

5. linda

linda Approved members

did u say u were posting the utube link??

6. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie and I just watched part 3 of the episode ( it's split into 3 short clips) and my girl was not happy. They talk about how he shouldn't eat much sugar and that his body doesn't, "use insulin properly":mad:

At the end Maddie asked me if we could sue them:( She looked really sad watching it.

8. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Yeah...I didn't like it one bit. :( Any of it...all it focuses on is NO SUGAR. :mad:

9. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Yeah that was a real poor example of the facts of diabetes. It seemed at times they were kidding around with it, and while I understand that it is a kids show, that was no different from what they said on the Suite Life of Zack&Cody. While I like what that they did mention the person is just the same. I think the overall quality and message was low.

10. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

Oh man! I just watched this and am sick to my stomach - seriously? Do you think they are talking about t2? They have to be... just take your insulin and stay away from sugar? gee don' we all wish it was tha easy

We went to a football game on Staurday nite and my DD wanted some candy - you should have seen the look on everyones face when i actually let her! They actually looked mad! I sooooo wanted to tell them to get educated after I keep telling them over and over but you know what? I am so tired of it!

This sux, just one more dang thing I'llhave to fight for in the world of T1's.... Now I REALLY dislike Hannah Montana - i am getting a little sick of seeing her face on all the kids clothes these days too

11. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Just watched the episode with my daughter. I am outraged and she is beside herself that they spent the whole show making fun of Diabetes and spreading misinformation about kids with D not being able to eat any sugar. I haven't seen her this upset since dx. She knows that the show is watched by millions of kids including her friends and peers and that it is going to make her life much more difficult. The damage done to children with Diabetes by the show will be much worse than anything The Doctors could ever do because it is directed at other children and will indoctrinate our children's peers with all the stupid stereotyping they fight everyday.

I hope when everyone here has a chance to watch the show you will speak up about it to the program, Disney, and their sponsors. I feel physically ill and can't even find the words to express myself. I have to go pick up the pieces now.:(:mad::(

12. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

I'm afraid to watch it.

13. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I don't even have the stomach to watch it:mad:. Thanks for letting me know ahead of time because I need to find something for Abby to be doing when the show airs on TV.

My keyboard is ready and waiting for the emailing we plan to be making on this one. I am so sick and tired of these people (Hollywood or otherwise) getting it wrong:mad: I really want to make some noise for this one.

14. jmcole1

jmcole1 Approved members

I just watched all of it with my dd15. She thought it was very bad. She hates to write and she plans on making her voice heard.

I just did a search of the episode. This is the name of the doctor who was the consultant for it:

Dr. Andrew Drexler, Co-Chief, Division of Clinical Endocrinology, Diabetes and Hypertension and Director, Gonda Diabetes Center at University of Los Angeles. I've included his email address in case anyone would like to give him your thoughts. (wink-wink)

adrexler@mednet.ucla.edu

JC

15. ToddsMom

ToddsMom Approved members

... and on anything else that has a flat surface.:rolleyes:

I am very unhappy to hear how the show went. I thought they would present it better. They've had Nick on the show, and Miley and he went out for quite awhile. You'd think someone would have stepped up and said something about the info being presented. :mad:

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

OMG I just watched part of part 2. Have these people ever been to a medical office? Confidentialiy?

Sugar boy? What an insult to those with diabetes!

What a bunch of ^&*()_+ idiots!

And the video makes me laugh, you can see the reflection on the tv:)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  17. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

it is a wonder that they could not get this right, since Nick Jonas is part of Disney and he supposedly had been seeing Miley Cyrus. You think that they would get this right. If they want to talk about type 2 then they should say type2 diabetes. Not just Diabetes!!! they are totally different. I wish people would get it right.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well, against my better judgement I watched the whole thing. It's awful. Period. No way to make it seem anything but awful.

For those of us who's kids are either fans of the show or of an age that their friends will see it, we can only prepare our kids to answer any comments that arise for this insanely stupid show.

Points of "interest"

1. Oliver is "acting goofy" falls down a flight of stairs. ( Low? we'll never know, it is used just for a laugh)
    2. Cast member says on diabetes, " Your not supposed to have a lot of sugar"
    3. Nurse proclaims that, "you can live a very full life with diabetes"
    4. Oliver is drooling over a candy bar.
    5. Oliver dives into a trash can to retrieve a thrown out candy bar.
    6. Hannah calls him, "sugar boy"
    7. Oliver is encouraged by the girls to come to a party and "forget about it ( it being diabetes)"
    8. The party is a candy themed sweet 16
    9. Oliver is hypnotized and drawn to sweets
    10. Oliver abut to eat a chocolate dipped strawberry says to himself, " I can't do this"
    11. Oliver holds up a cup cake and says, " I want this so bad and now I can't have it"

There is only one passing reference to insulin. No talk of checking bg. No talk of carbs. No talk of shots. EVERYTHING is focused on sugar.

19. allisa

allisa Approved members

I haven't watched it yet.....sighhh....this sucks.....worse for girls because probably all their friends are watching it.....

I'm happy to join a writing band-wagon !'

ETA:

I just watched it....and yes, I understand that it is JUST a TV show.....and kids don't want to hear a medical lecture.....BUT.....some real facts would be nice.....

my FIL is diabetic and when I started to date my husband....that was all I was told " He can't have sugar"....I think they didn't want to bore me with details....but....."he can't have sugar" is NOT an explanation.....

how about telling kids that everyone needs carbs to LIVE.....the majority of their food IS carbs and that breaks into sugar that allows your cells and brains to FUNCTION. Diabetes does NOT mean you can't have sugar....it means your body is missing the hormone that allows your cells to USE the food and you couldn't live without it.

Sugar is NOT the enemy.....the lack of insulin is the enemy.....and btw.....you know that fruit, juice, bread, crackers are all actually equal in terms of sugar.....sugar doesn't mean candy to a diabetic !!

okay....I need to calm down....a brisk walk is in order I think......

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  20. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden's reaction

My daughter is a pretty big fan of this show, so I was curious to see what her reaction would be. She and I watched it together on YouTube.

She said, "well, I thought it was funny." She went on to say that it's just a TV show, so she didn't expect it to be like real-life anyway. She completely didn't relate her life, or anything about her life, to that show.

I, of course, am very unhappy with the opportunity they squandered. Of course, for me, it's a little like the TV births - first contraction to baby in an hour or less. Yeah, right. But then, I'm a childbirth educator, so of course it would upset me. We are the parents of these precious children with diabetes, so we are rightfully offended by misinformation!! Most likely, though, no one else will give it a second thought, unfortunately :(.