- advertisement -

The flu

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susanlindstrom16, Apr 15, 2014.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

So, for the second year in a row, my daughter had gotten the flu, despite getting the shot. ugh. I think she might be getting over it, she hasn't had a fever in a couple days although she still has a cough and congestion. We were fighting tons of highs last week prior to getting sick, but since she has been sick, her numbers have actually been kind of awesome. I'm wondering if this is typical with illness, to see wacky numbers before symptoms appear, but then things start to settle down (glucose-wise) once they are obviously sick?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think you will find a wide variety of experiences when it comes to sickness. Personally, I find that her numbers are usually high and unpredictable throughout the illness. But if your daughter's numbers have been in range then I say enjoy it while it lasts! :smile:

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Fortunately, Hana hasn't had the flu but she's had a few colds since dx and yes I find that her numbers run high prior to her actually feeling sick, so we have no idea why she's high. Then when the symptoms kick in, her numbers go back to normal.

My son (non D) is home with the flu too. Same thing, terrible congestion and deep cough. I took him to the dr yesterday and he said that the flu that is going around now was not covered in the vaccine.

4. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I've been pondering a similar question, although our experience is a little different. With typical bugs, our daughter runs high for about 24 hours before we see symptoms, and then she continues to need more insulin while the bug runs its course.

For reasons that utterly confound me, when she has strep throat -- which she has had multiple times since being dx-ed with T1 -- she runs low, and stays that way until the antibiotics kick in. At this point, when we see hard-to-treat lows, one of our first steps is to check the back of her throat. One of the endo fellows at our clinic told us that this is not unusual with strep throat. Like a lot of things having to do with Type 1, this doesn't make much sense to me -- why would one bug cause lows, and other bugs cause highs? But it has been pretty well borne out by our experience over the last two years.

I'm not sure if this directly answers your question, except that it goes to show that there might not be a hard-and-fast rule of thumb about how the body reacts to illness or at what point insulin needs will return to baseline.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

If she had digestive issues with the flu, then yes this is to be expected. The illness causes problems with absorption of carbs after meals, and as you say the result is kind of awesome numbers. This can last up to a week before things return to normal.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

A lot of digestion is done by bacteria in you gut, and antibiotics can not only kill the invader bacteria but the "good" bacteria of your digestive track. When good bacteria is killed then absorbtion of carbs is hindered too.

I assume too that it is possible that the strep bug by itself can disturb the balance even before antibiotics are started.

7. shannong

shannong Approved members

I have found that if my son has an infection (like an ear infection or strep thoat) he gets high bg's. Colds and flus tend to lower his bg's. In fact, when he is sick with a cold or flu, looking at his bg's you would think he doesn't even have diabetes. I almost always see numbers in range or on the low side, when he is sick. I think when he goes back to eating normally and his body fully digests his food, that the spikes are seen again.

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Bumbling stab in the dark: Perhaps the difference in BGs has to do with the fact that strep throat and many ear infections are bacterial in nature, whereas most colds and flus are due to viruses...

9. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

that makes sense about the absorption of carbs. that brief honeymoon period was fun while it lasted. although, i guess it wasn't really "fun" since she had the flu!!
    fingers crossed for no more illnesses this season. ready for some warm weather and open windows.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

And in yet another YDMV moment, my son has high high HIGH blood sugars for every single minor OR major illness, colds, allergies, poison ivy, all of them cause out of control highs. Every time.

11. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014