- advertisement -

The Endos NP Rained On Our Parade

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Jul 22, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Sophie had her quarterly appointment today. Her A1C was 6.2. We were happy and ready to have a party when the NP said"it's because she is honeymooning". I pointed out her TDD is over 1 unit per kg and she said"that has nothing to do with it,no child can have that tight of control without it being a honeymoon." I'm not sure I agree,but her comments really ruined the happiness over the great A1C

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd drop a note to the endo about the inappropriateness of the comment. It was unprofessional and rude.

Look, I'm going to be honest with you. It IS easier to see a lovely A1c in the first few years. I don't care if one calls it honeymoon or not, it's just easier. That said it's a great number and you should obviously feel great about it BUT you will not always see your hard work reflected so clearly in the A1c so don't let it become too much a source of pride or shame for either you or your child.

3. wearingtaci

I am sire you are right about the A1Cs,but we are really working hard trying to be diligent and do the best we can and her comments stung.
    The upside is they will at least let Sophie try the nano pen needles and the lantus solostar pens,that was a win for Sophie

4. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Congratulations on the A1c! It's a great A1c whether your daughter is honeymooning or not. A1cs like that require hard work and don't just fall out of the sky. :cwds: Go on and have your happy dance, I know I'm all smiles when I see my hardwork reflected in my A1c!

5. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I think that is a great A1C for anyone struggling with this! Keep on doing what you are doing! If your child is actually "honeymooning" it really doesn't matter! What that A1C says to me is you have your feet under you and are managing the disease wonderfully. If you weren't managing it wonderfully, you would have seen a much, much higher A1C!

6. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I don't think she knows what she's talking about. The only times we've gotten near that low (6.3) was after her honeymoon ended, right after we started pumping. For us it indicated too many lows, but that is not the case for everyone. Otherwise our a1c's have all been 6.7 or 6.8 both during and after honeymoon.

7. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

I am much more interested in actions and motivation that A1C it seems unprofessional to dampen patient enthusiasm for making the effort to manage diabetes.

8. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Nice Job! Personally, I would see what the meter average is though as I would worry about undecided lows that a CGM would catch.

9. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

That was very unprofessional of the NP and reminds me of my daughter's first endo (there's a reason we don't see her anymore lol) but with her being diagnosed last year, she could very well still be honeymooning. The most you can do is to keep having that tight control over it whether she is or isn't honeymooning. I was told that the 1u per kg is an average. My daughter's had diabetes for 3.5 years and is usually under that 1u per kg than above it.

My daughter's had 2 endos and like I said, its been over 3 years and I've never heard them once mention anything about the 1u per kg rule, I only heard it on here. Maybe the doctors don't follow that rule, not sure..

I would consider anything under 7 a great a1c so just keep doing what you're doing :)

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Great job! Regardless of what your dr. thinks, numbers like that don't happen without a lot of work regardless of honeymoon.

Sometimes I find the team communication aspect of diabetes exhausting, and I remember venting at one point that while there is tons of research on the family system and T1 success, there is none that I could find on how the support team dynamics affect it. I wrote it on a day that we'd gotten a letter from the hospital saying our team would be changing again, and it was one of the most negative days toward diabetes I've seen out of my daughter.

I would definitely say something to your NP. Maybe she was trying to warn you that management would get more difficult as the honeymoon ends so that you wouldn't be hard on yourself next time if it's higher. I know our team was careful to tell me that we might not be able to maintain the same A1Cs as puberty intensified. Another time they commented, "She hardly has any lows." I didn't take it well, as I'd promised them I wouldn't go for a low A1C if it meant too many lows. Instead, they were marvelling that she really didn't have many lows. We were/are a rarity in CGMing full-time.

Emotions run high with appointments, even when we somewhat know how the A1C is going to be. It's hard because we're in the trenches doing the work and reacting to the curveballs, and the numbers only tell part of the story. I can't imagine it's easy from either side.

11. wearingtaci

Maybe this is what she was trying to say,and we expect it to get worse as puberty kicks in full force