- advertisement -

the emotional side of it- newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mysweetwill, Dec 14, 2011.

1. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

My dson was 8 almost 9 when he was dxd. He was terrified to go back to school! He was afraid of what everyone would say. He was a very shy little guy at the time. His close friends knew and were informed about the diabetes and shown how he had to care for himself. It took plenty of heart to heart chats for us to convince him to be open about it. We finally told him he needed to be an advocate for the diabetes. God made him strong to be able to handle diabetes and speak to everyone about it so that others can learn and help him find a cure. Our ds was asked with in his first three months after dxd. to speak at Ford Motor Company and be their face for the Walk for the Cure that year! I think this was the biggest turning point for him. When we attended our first Walk for the Cure he got to see the mass amount of other people...other children affected by it! Hugs...this too will pass!!!

2. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

Hi! My Madi also goes to NBDC and Jaclyn is a doll! She took my DD from crying everytime we mentioned pumping TO pumping within 3 months. They are awesome. They are quite a ride for us but well worth it. We switched to them in April this year and I so wish I would have know about them from the start. I feel as if I only started getting the education and answers I needed, when I went there.

Jaclyn will help him along. I'm certain of it. Just respect his wishes for now AS LONG as it doesnt effect his health (like not testing because someone might be watching), but gradually get him to open up.

You might want to check with your local JDRF chapter about support groups!!!

3. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

That's fantastic SBSmith, I'm glad to see how active your son is also, this is the next hurdle, figuring out how to manage his bg with indoor soccer and ski season approaching! And yes NYHolli, Jaclyn has helped tremendously already. Thank you everyone, all the support here is overwhelming and I truly appreciate it.

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

When I was diagnosed I had started a new school a few months before. Sadlyyour sons fears were a reality to me. I wasn't scared to tell anyone, at first. Then All my friends at school stopped talkign to me, they would freak because I injected in the cafeteria (I did it very discretly, keeping the needle under the table so they wouldn't see it, but they still knew)within a month no one talked to me unless I started the conversation, or they needed something. On the last day of school only my sister and our neghbor (plus maybe one person) asked me to sign their yearbook. I did not go back to that school.

I wasn't trying to scare you or anything, just wanted to make sure that all the parents who read this thread know they shouldn't push their kids to tell people about diabetes.

about the whole how to keep it a secret thing, I'd sujest you get the animas ping. It comes with a remote so you can keep the pump in your pocket and bolus through the meter/remote. It honestly looks like a black berry. I don't know what you should do until then... I'm older so I never had to have my mom come to any parties that She wasn't invited to.