- advertisement -

The district nurse is becoming a royal pain in my

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Flutterby, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

you know what!! Kaylee's Aid hands me a paper that the school nurse drew up yesterday.. she never showed me it, never gave me a copy.. aren't I suppose to sign of on any of her stuff??? its a 'Individual health care plan'.. isn't that what her endo writes up? This nurse is really starting to get on my last nerve.. I talked to the principal who says that the district nurse is trying to cover her @ss, but said bases:D she wants us all to sit down in two week.. should be fun.. NOT..

The principal also told the school nurse to chill out.. give Mom and Kaylee a few months to adjust to the school, we'll know if its working out.. I said, I know its working because I can honastly say that I can leave Kaylee at school and not have a panic attack.. I feel completely confident that you will do whatever Kaylee needs and if you aren't sure what to do, you'll call..

But this nurse.. she is in the school once every 8 days.. I can thankfully say, glad she's not there more than that! She was there yesterday and asked how her weekend and beginning of the week was.. like any other day, crazy!

Thanks for letting me vent!:rolleyes:

2. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Is her plan different than the one the endo gave you?

3. Flutterby

Her plan is actually very non specific.. just telling the staff when they have to check, why and what to do for low high.. there is no specific number.. I don't think its really a individual health care plan.. it looks like its the info directly out of her 504.. the principal said the same thing.. so at least it matches.. but very non specific.. but I saw this nurse yesterday, why didn't she give me a copy of it? shouldn't I be signing anything like this?

4. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I'm sorry, I really don't see what the problem is. Maybe I am just missing something.

5. Flutterby

The problem is the district nurse.

6. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

i think unless you sign it and it's part of her 504, etc, it doesn't mean anything. the nurse can't just write up random stuff without your input. ugh. i hate when people butt in!

7. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Our district insist on having an IHP.. that is their policy.. Our 504 and IHP is one in the same.

If it makes the nurse happy to have it on her form, and it is the same info as the 504, then just go with it.. it isnt a battle to fight in order to win the war.

Our district nurse is a pain in my side too.. and my poor school nurse is stuck in the middle bewteen wanting to do what is right, and following her boss's policy crap. I feel for you.

8. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We have a health care plan and a 504. The health care plan does need to be signed by a parent. Our district nurse said tha the health care plan is just an "in addition to" the 504 plan. It just states some goals with D managment and the 'high and low' what if's. The 504 has all that in there also. I did not mind the IHP as long as the 504 went along with it. It did and there were no problems. We did have to have a meeting though so we could go step by step through the IHP, we even disagreed on some things, which is why a meeting and signing off on it is necessary. I would pull have it pulled from her file if you did not sign it.

The IHP does cover the medical part of care but has no legal standing with academic accomidations to D care. That is why we have both, IHP and 504. It makes everyone legal all around. The nurse is coverd with the health accomidations and everone else is on board with academic, due to the 504.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  9. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

What is it with the district school nurses?! Maybe they should cut them out of the loop and we could just speak directly with the nurse that is there everyday administering the care. I have a problem with ours as well. She doesnt like the CGMS and wants him to have all finger sticks instead. The school nurse is fine with the CGMS and it actually makes it much easier for her. Our endo already signed our 504 but the "head" nurse wants more info from our endo. Let me know how it goes with your meeting because I think we are going to need another one too!! :mad: Maybe we are in the same district?? hee hee!!

10. Flutterby

I think I'm more irritated that she drew this up, signed it and stuck it with her 504 and NEVER mentioned it to me.. it was Kaylee's aide that showed it to me.. I get the feeling the Aide isn't thrilled with her either.. and I know the teacher doesn't like her because she said that the nurse is a pain and I added 'in the @ss' and she said, yes, most definitely.. This nurse acts like she knows everything, she doesn't.. but likes to pretend she does, and thats what drives me crazy.. I do NOT want to rock the boat or piss anyone off, they've done a terrific job with Kaylee.. but I don't think this nurse should be adding stuff to her file with out at least letting me see it..

11. Flutterby

We have the cgms too.. the school loves it.. we don't have a school nurse.. there is an spec ed Aide that is in the kindergarten, she's the one that has taken on Kaylee's stuff.. she's doing a terrific job.. the district nurse actually has NOTHING to do with K's care.. they love the cgms because it does cut down on finger pokes for Kaylee.. the school itself is very easy to work with.. the teachers, principal, everyone.. except this nurse.. I think the district nurses get up on high horses because they are a 'district' nurse and not just a 'school' nurse.. I'd be quite irritated (even more than I am now LOL:rolleyes:) if she was going against K's endo's orders.. she did miss all HIGH blood sugar stuff in her 'individualized health care plan'.. its all about low blood sugar..

12. Flutterby

13. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

That is similar to what our IHP was supposed to look like. I hate that stupid form because it says the same thing for every D kid, and doesnt leave room for YDMV nto to mention half the stuff on it goes against the drs orders (in our case)

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

OUr Dist. nurse recently called me too, she just wanted to go over an individual health plan she was going to give the teachers...It just had things like what to look for for lows etc...Seth tests in the classroom, but if he wanted/needed to com to the office while low she wanted someone to go with him which I of coarse agreed with. She basically wanted me to make sure what she was putting on there was what I wanted. It was no big deal, I wasn't even asked to sign anything...:cwds:

15. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think it is common for the school nurse to write the doctor's orders into a "health plan" which can be called different things - but in our district it looks like the doctor's orders rewritten onto a 2 page form. The health plan is for the health room staff in our school - not usually given out to the teachers, etc. A copy of the health plan is put into his emergency box that is carried from class to class with him. In case of a lockdown the teacher can consult it - so the teachers are briefed on the health plan. I had to give permission for anyone else to see it outside of the health room.

The health plan should accurately reflect the dr's orders - not picking out some and leaving out others. The parent does not have to sign it I think (usually) but generally I think it is a good idea if the person preparing it asks you to take a look. Our district's IHP for type 1 has things on it that are not in the doctor's orders exactly - like what his typical symptoms are for lows. Your nurse is probably *required* to do this form by your state's nurse practice act or some other regulation.

Although it is in our 504 that the nurse can distribute his IHP to all the teachers/staff, the nurse usually prepares a different sheet that looks more like English rather than doctor speak - that is a general outline of what to do and what not to do but does not go into the specifics of his blood sugar ranges, IOB, pump management and all that.

I guess I wouldn't be freaked out that she did the form but I would let the health room (nurse especially) know that you would like to see it - especially if it gets attached to the 504. I would request that you see any health plan or health care documents that are used to implement care or teach others about your child's care.

16. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Our head nurse who is in there every so many days has the big Diabetes book and it changes all the time.. I call the nurse I always deal with and say WHAT IS GOING ON.. lol.. I do have to initial and sign things that I have changed on the paper.. Make sure they give you a copy of this paper and its not specific at all.. Nothing like what the Endo writes for the nurse.. Request that copy.. She needs to listen to you and the endo not some piece of paper that she thinks will work.