- advertisement -

The 'Diabetes Gene' is carried by the father

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JJsMomma, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The gene alone isn't enough, there has to be something else.. there is a mom with identical twins on this board, only one has D.. hopefully it stays that way. But there can also be siblings, with different genetic makeup that both have D..

2. KHM

KHM Approved members

Its not at all uncommon for certain traits to be genetically predisposed yet require environmental (and by this, I mean something occurring inside or outside the body that is apart from the genetic code) triggering--alcoholism and other addictions are thought to work this way, likewise breast cancer with BRCA-1 and BRCA-2 genes.

What is not being said is that there can be multiple ways diseases evolve even when genetics are entirely responsible for a certain portion of the cases. With cervical cancer, infection with Human Papilloma Virus can lead to dysplasia and then cancer.... other women never have documented HPV infection. Cervical cancer is certainly a disease that puts female offspring at greater risk of cancer than women whose lineage does not include it but not all daughters/grand-daughters manifest disease.

Bottom line: Complicated. Lots of explanations, lots of unknown factors. YDMV.

3. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

I was told by a researcher that if the mom has a auto-immune disease her children have a 1 in 30 chance of having an auto-immune disease and when it is the father the chances do increase to 1 in 15. Just what I was told--I have not done any research on my on.

4. chammond

chammond Approved members

http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud03.pdf

I don't really know how to post a link, so I am trying. This is a link to the pink panther book where it discusses the causes of T1 D. It discusses the DR3 and DR4 genes and that 53% of T1 D's have one DR3 and one DR4 gene, with one gene recieved from each parent. If it is true that only 53% have this combination my conclusion (totally unscientific) would be that while this causes D in some, but caused differently in others (?).

I think we need to remember that looking at one parents family vs. the other as being the "cause" of D could possibly very hurtful. The parent did not purposely cause this. Dealing with a new diagnosis is stressful and guilt-ridden enough without one parent pointing a finger at the other (even if it is not meant to be hurtful). It is what it is, and we all wish our children didn't have it. Going through a new diagnosis can be stressful on a marriage, at least it was on mine, so it is probably more productive to be as supportive of each other as possible, not digging through our family trees trying to find out whose fault it is.:)

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Are we there yet?! :rolleyes:

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We have no prior T1 in our family, but I'm pretty sure the gene is from me based on a couple of other minor autoimmune things on my side of the family. I told dd that a long time ago, and it never occurred to me or her to be anything more than "ok, well that's interesting". Obviously both women and men with T1 have kids with T1, so then we're down to whether the chances are more likely on one side or the other. Not sure why it matters?

7. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

This is the second time I had heard this in least than 24 hrs...Brent Micheals just said that on Celebrity Apprenctice last night b/c his daughter was going through testing for T1. I was told by our Endo that T1 could come from any side of the families.

8. zell828

zell828 Approved members

The Children's Hospital we go to told us that Type 1 is not inherited like Type 2. Basically, if you do get Type 1 you were destined to get it. I wondered about the hereditary argument many times myself since it seems like it is at times.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I agree to this. We had the Panda DNA test and it really showed how the high risk combo has to made up from both parents genes.
    We have no type 1 on either side of family as far as we know.

10. candise

candise Approved members

My family must be weird then: Me and my 2 sisters all have a first born daughter with Type1. What are the odds of all of us marrying a man who carries this gene?

11. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

There are more factors than just genes, I'm sorry - I thought this was going to be a thread about genes. My grandmother was a geneticist who worked with Type 1 Diabetes and she died way before the gene was found, and its been a hot topic in my family still - 3 decades after her death. Grandma predicted that I would have a T1D child based on her genetic work. These sites offer newly found data. Today is grandmas birthday too. She would have been 96 :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/jul/16/health.lifeandhealth
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=new-gene-linked-to-type-1-diabetes
    http://www.genetichealth.com/DBTS_Genetics_of_Type_1_Diabetes.shtml

12. Leece

Leece Approved members

From what I heard from my Type I friend who has a non D 1yr old DD... That the chances of a child dx is higher if the father has D themselves or if Type I D runs in his family than the mothers. That being said who knows who is going to get it. My little sister has D (my older sister and myself do not-neither does my older sisters to kids "yet if ever"). My little sister chose not to have kids (not D related) and My DD was 10months old at dx her sister does not have a dx (yet or ever). No D in my husbands side at all.

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Haven't read every single post but here's my reaction from what I've read and lived:

You are more likely to have D if a parent has it. You are even more likely to have d if your dad has it. You are not very likely to have D anyway as it is rather rare. In the unlikely event that you do have D, the stats don't really matter much.

My kids get lots of stuff from me and dh, dd's tan skin, ds' freckles, my asthma, dh's not putting dirty clothes in the hamper. So what? I'd rather have my gorgeous, smart, sweet wonderful dd with D than not at all, so even if I knew for a fact this is what was in store for us, I would still have had her and felt lucky for the privaledge of being her mom. I wouldn't even condsider not having kids b/c one or both parents had D. It so happens there is no D in our family. Which just goes to prove irrifutably: it's a crapshoot. :)

14. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Welll said!!!!!

15. tresmom

tresmom Approved members

I didn't read through all of this because it was so long (sorry), but I will tell you that I don't believe that. I have 2 children with type 1 and 1 child with celiac. For me, I am sure there has to be some type of link on my side of the family, but I am yet to find it. My oldest child is from my first marriage and his paternal grandmother had type 1 (and since then his father was diagnosed as well in adulthood with type 1.) With my oldest's father's family history I was not shocked when he came up with type 1. When my second child from my husband now came up with diabetes it was like being kicked in the stomach. I was soooo sure that the diabetes came from my ex-husband. How could another child have diabetes? My dd was just diagnosed with celiac as well and my other dd is about to be tested for thyroid problems. My current belief is that there probably is a link on both sides of the family, but it bewilders me that I can't find a single case of type 1 on either my side of the family or my husband's.

16. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

You've said it perfectly!