- advertisement -

the day before my b-day

Discussion in 'Teens' started by i play paintball13, Jan 31, 2006.

?

how many shots do u do a day

Poll closed Feb 7, 2006.
  1. once

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. twice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4 times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. i play paintball13

i play paintball13 New Member

hey i found out on the 17th of jan. and on the the 18th it was my birth day. my 13th birthday:(

2. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Heehee, I just went on the insulin pump - I only take one shot every 3 days or so now! I am soooo happy. Previously, though, it was upwards towards 8 shots a day. Nice to meet ya!

3. ctwetten

ctwetten Approved members

That's a great welcome into the teens....now your blood sugar may be just as out of control as your mood. :rolleyes:
    Enough of the sarcastic business. Being diagnosed is a major shock at first; I didn't even know what to think. I was just diagnosed a year and a half ago, only a few days before the start of my senior year of high school, and I think one of the hardest parts was having to go back into situations where I had been pre-diagnosis and deal with them in a new way--ex, normal school day, field trip, sleeping over, going out to eat with friends, etc. So my advice would be to go into aware that those things might get to you even if you don't know it at first. (I broke down sobbing to my English teacher when we went to see a play--it's definetly up there with the most embarasing experiences of my life. :eek: )
    Also, I reccomend humor when possible. My personal favorite is "high" (as in on sugar vs on drugs.) Once when I was low my friend shouted down a huge hallway at school, "Hope you get high soon!" I'm not the drug type at all and I still laugh when I think about that one.

4. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

heehee. That's really funny, Ctwetten! Yeah, the "high" thing is really funny to me too. Sometimes, i'll say it on purpose because the looks I get from people in restraunts or in the mall are *really* funny! I'll be like "yeah, I'm high" and it's funny, then shortly thereafter I'm "shooting up" - insulin that is. It is really funny for me as well, cause I'm the church kid - not the drug type at all - so it really makes people laugh.
    A funny experience I had was when my boyfriend went out to eat at the mall before a movie and He was giving me my shot and a security gaurd actually came up and was all "What are we doing here, kids?" - and I just simply showed him my bg testing kit and the vial of insulin and my prescription for them then he felt really bad - it was real funny. My bf and I still laugh about that one. Diabetes definitely can be humorous - i mean, how many 'sicknesses" can you be stuck with that you can make so many double meaning jokes?

But, it also can be difficult too. Definitely has gotten frustrating and maddeing and I have definitely gotten fed up to where I just want to throw it and everything else out the window (this week, for example). But, that's what people are for. Always good to make sure there is someone you can talk to, 'cause it's definitely needed to keep some sanity. Especially going back into those scenarios where you were before being diagnosed. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 14 (i'm 18 now) and it has still been difficult. Just wanting to be "normal" like my friends used to know me as - not as a diabetic. But, ya know, they still love me - and they don't even care about that - they care and want to help me is what they want to do - if I openup to them about it. It's awesome.

So... yeah. I've rambled enough now.

5. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

Hehe, that's great! I live in an extemely drug infested area, I'm also the church kid. I drag around a lot when my sugar's up. My teacher's ask me if I'm feeling ok, and I reply, "Yeah, I've just been kinda high today." They then go "What!?!...Oh you mean your sugar!" Yeah, there's a lot of kids on drugs at my school, it's hard cause everyone knows it but they can't pin them cause the don't have any on them. It's sad...but anyhow, yeah, I definitly get those same looks too!

Nice to meet you paintball13, hope you'll find that diabetes isn't so bad! As you can see, it's important to have a sense of humor about it! :)

6. Leah

Leah Approved members

i do a pump every three days, a blood check twice a day, and a CGMS once a week.:D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010