- advertisement -

The cost of diabetes care

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Becky Stevens mom, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Ive been doing some number crunching this morning. What Ive found is astounding. The following is a rundown of what we would be paying if we didnt have insurance. This does not cover the cost of a meter as they are often given away northe price of the humolog pen and these are also given away at the endos office.

Per month:

Lantus vial: $110

humolog cartridge/pack of 5 is $304 so one cartridge is approx $60

test strips for freestyle lite $ 204

pen needles $100

lancets $5.00

alcohol pads: $2.00

glucotabs: $4.00

glucagon: $9.00 approx $108/year per kit

Total for year: $5928

I went further and figured out what it would be for the 15,000 children in the US that will be diagnosed in 2010

If all the kids were on MDI the cost per year for all of them would be:

$88,920,000 add another 15,0000 next year

$177,840,000 and the next

$266,760,000, and the next

$355,680,000 and the next

$444,6000,000 etc, etc, etc, etc.

This is for children on MDI I wouldnt know where to begin to figure out the cost for pumping or pumping with CGMS

If there were a cure, if it were possible for our children to produce insulin in their own pancreas again, all this money that is spent on supplys just for children with type 1 diabetes...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

Interesting. What about syringes and pen needles?

3. Becky Stevens mom

Oh shoot! now Ive gotta go back and figure those in too. Thanks Lawana!:)

4. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

I worry about Daniel ever being with out insurance, I looked at the cost my insurance paid last year just for his Pharmacy items(insulin, test strips, syringes, Accutane(not diabetes related but he was on it for 6 months) they paid over $7000 - I paid just over $1000 last year in copays on the meds then add pods and dr visits- this is a very expensive disease. I buy alcohol pads and skin tac and those items out of pocket too. I am not sure I want to add it all up - it might hurt my feelings:(

5. Becky Stevens mom

I know it hurts my feelings to and frightens me. Its why we need a cure

6. mamort

mamort Approved members

My out of pocket last year was just under 1000.00 per month, that is with insurance for 2 kids. My insurance would only cover 50% of any diabetic supplies. Thankfully as of the beginning of this year they placed diabetes supplies under the pharmacy and now we just have to pay copays of approx 200.00 per month.

7. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

In such a growing market, it makes total sense to keep prices fixed as they are so that they can keep making more money, gouging the already existant market and the new client base that comes into the market against their will. Such a great market strategy! I'd love to be a fly on the wall watching the geniuses come up with better ways to take advantage of the diabetes market. Geniuses!

8. Christy Putnam

Christy Putnam Approved members

Do you mind if i repost this to my Facebook 'notes' giving you credit? I feel like more people need to know these figures.

9. Christy Putnam

Christy Putnam Approved members

And lancets?

10. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

our MDI total

I keep track of all supplies DD uses and this year it worked out to just shy of $6000/year. (It was about the same last year too.)

That includes frequent testing (average of 10 times a day), four types of insulin, and using at least 5 syringes a day.

But that is just money. From a parent's perspective, think of all the brain power that goes into scheming about what to inject, all the planning to keep them safe, and most sadly, all the missed sleep from night time checks.

It is an expensive disease - costs money, time, sleep, thoughtfulness, and the odd bit of occasional worry.:cwds:

Whenever I hear of someone else being diagnosed, I can't help but think of the amount of WORK someone now has to take on to keep their kids safe and feel badly for the worry that they will experience especially at the beginning.

Good thing we are capable and hard-working by nature - and good thing there is insulin to inject! (And it is a good thing, for morale, that there are people working on so many fronts for a cure).

Until then, universal health care strikes me as the most humane way to go.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Please do Christy, knowledge is power. We need a cure and be free of all this.

12. Becky Stevens mom

13. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

A few months back I got the urge to call up my pharmacy and get some prices on Westin's meds. I figured with his antiseizure med ($500 a month alone) and the asthma meds and allergy meds, including insulin and pump supplies, we were at about $1500 a month...thankfully we are poor and my kids have coverage...oxymoron, I know.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

From your comment is seems you believe that people who work for pharmaceutical, supply, and device companies purposely "gouge" and "take advantage" of people with diabetes. I totally disagree. I can only speak from my experiences over the past 22 years, but I have never seen this type of purposeful mind set or behavior in any of the companies or people I have worked with. I have posted several times about how much money/resources it takes to bring products from discovery to market, so I won't go into it again. But think about what you (and your family's) life would be like if those companies were not in business.

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Rare diseases cost a crazy amount to treat. The drug treatment for pompe disease is apparently half a million per year.

This was a Canadian news story, so the cost may be much higher in the US and other parts of the world.

So from that perspective we are lucky t1 isn't rare.

16. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

It gets really staggering if you consider 'just' type 1's in the U.S... and just daily MDI testing/injection/insulin costs (no pump/pod costs). Right around $50 million is spent daily. Or if you considered all type 1's and 2's and figure they each test their bg's 3 times a day, that works out to $660 million... daily... spent on test strips alone. Or yearly... $240.9 billion. That's one big piece of pie. :)

17. Becky Stevens mom

that hurts my brain to think about that. imagine if we didnt need test strips anymore. Who would be losing out on all that money?

18. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Becky,

Do you mind if I repost this on FB, too?

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Imagine if you had to wait days to get a bg result instead of seconds.....

20. Becky Stevens mom

Please do, the numbers are low as I forgot pen needles, syringes and lancets. I will try to get that figured in the cost as well