- advertisement -

The challenge of forum spammers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

In the past several days, we've been inundated with registrations from forum spammers. Thankfully, the defenses that we have in place to prevent spammers from completing their registrations have been very effective -- not one has successfully tried to post a message.

To help minimize spammer registrations, I will be implementing new human verification questions that are part of the registration process. Also, new users will be required to note their relationship to type 1 diabetes (e.g., self, child, etc.). I may add more of these required fields if it becomes necessary to reduce the number of spammer registrations.

My apologies in advance to new users. Forum spam is a staggering global problem, and CWD is not immune.

2. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Thank you, Jeff!

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I think you should make the questions kind of hard. Because besides spammers there are people who fake having diabetes or fake their child having diabetes.

Maybe that is not something that can be easily done because some are new to diabetes.

I remember someone on the chat, obviously faking having diabetes. so I asked what type of insulin they take. Their answer was how should I know I get it from the chemist. I said it should be written right on the bottle. They obviously attempted to google and responded a few minutes later with humulin . not specifying R or N

I just can?t stand that. I have actually had people in real life lie to me and say they have diabetes

The spammers don?t really bother me so much, because there are so many ads like that already. Like work from home and earn such and such. Or weight loss or wrinkle reduction.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

And then there are other issues where people make claims about being attacked and tied up with their pump tubing and molested. Or giving birth to triplets that weighed 8 pounds each (vaginally not less).

Some times long time members do such things.

For one thing that is kind of slanderous to the pump companies, implying that you could be tied up with your own pump tubing, and then be sold into human trafficking.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

Are the new search questions part of that? (the questions you must answer when searching while logged out) Yesterday I needed to know who won a noble prize for insulin. I was running on no coffee and little sleep. Question should take into account those facts. ;)

haha. Anyway, thanks for working on the spam registrations.

6. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I can change the questions anytime, and yes, they are included in many parts of the forums, especially those that cause work by the server (e.g., searches).

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

I also had to know where Insulin was invented. LOL. You're making me work for my searches, Jeff. (it's all good, I just find the questions funny, and apparently, I search while logged out all the time).

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would think it would be much simpler and faster to use a search engine like Google or Bing rather than searching CWD.

9. Mish

Mish Approved members

Why? If I'm trying to find a specific post by a specific user, I just pop his/her name in the search box and then my searches are listed to that person only. If I know the specifics about what was talked about in a thread I can put those as keywords. And when I find my list of results I can then quickly scan them to see what thread or post I wanted.

Searching outside the site is great for more generalized searches but if I'm trying to be specific to find a thread here then it's easier to just search here.

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I think Mish was referring to the question she had to answer before being allowed to search the forums for the real question she wanted answered. It's a new process to keep out spammers.

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

oh, yes, that's exactly what I meant. LOL I didn't actually want to know where insulin was invented. The questions have been there for a while (while logged out) but they used to be easy; "what medicine do people with type 1 have to take" "what raises blood sugar when low" "does insulin lower or raise blood sugar". Now they're getting harder! LOL

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

I also wonder if you're still comparing IPs and looking at the issue of people currently using more than one active account to post (as in pretending to be multiple people).

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

One would think that no one would have time for such silliness, but maybe it is called for, sadly.