- advertisement -

The Care Act Passes in Illinois!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SuzanneE, Jun 27, 2010.

1. SuzanneE

SuzanneE Approved members

As CWD readers know, the promise of federal anti-discrimination law is unrealized for many students with diabetes. In Illinois, there are more than 900 separate school districts and conflicting claims leave many unclear on the applicability of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), and The ADA Amendments Act of 2008. These misunderstandings have led to a patchwork of health management policies, some of which are so misguided that the health, safety and education of children with diabetes has been jeopardized.

Misguided school policies prohibit glucose testing in class, which has led to children falling unconscious in hallways trying to get to the nurse's office. Teachers have mistaken insulin pumps for iPods and ripped out infusion sets from children's bodies. Parents have had to confront "Zero Tolerance" policies just to make sure their child can carry and eat the sugar tablet they need to treat hypoglycemia. Parents have been told to home school their children because children with diabetes are ineligible to attend schools that do not have school nurses. School boards have implemented "No Needles, No Blood" policies, which bar students with diabetes access to their own medical equipment. Not knowing the symptoms of high or low blood sugar, the sleepy girl has been mistaken for a lazy student and the teenage boy who slurs his words for a drug user.

The Care of Students with Diabetes Act (HB 6065) articulates a simple, voluntary and medically approved protocol that paves an additional path for school districts to comply with long-standing federal anti-discrimination law. The bill embodies the guidelines published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and is endorsed by leading experts in diabetes care and leading experts in civil rights, education and disability law. The bill:

• Permits a parent to submit a diabetes care plan, which will be the basis of a Section 504 plan.
    • Requires in-service training for all school employees in the basics of diabetes care.
    • Permits volunteer aides to receive training to assist students with diabetes care.
    • Details what a student with diabetes must be permitted to do in school.
    • Prohibits a school district from assigning a student with diabetes to a particular school on the basis that the school does not have a full-time nurse and from denying a student access to any school or activities on the basis that a student has diabetes.
    • Protects school employees against retaliation, provides civil immunity and preserves all rights under federal law.

BECAUSE...all children are entitled to an education; because no child's safety or education should be discounted or denied because of diabetes; because children with diabetes require routine care everyday to stay healthy and safe; because any willing, capable person can be trained to provide diabetes care; and because fear and misinformation prevent some school districts from complying with federal law...

Please consider writing a letter to Governor Quinn to express your support for The Care of Students with Diabetes Act (HB6065). You can email him at: Pat.Quinn@Illinois.gov or send an old-fashioned letter to: The Honorable Pat Quinn, Office of the Governor, James R. Thompson Center, 100 W. Randolph, Suite 16-100, Chicago, Illinois 60601

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: SUZANNE ELDER AT 773-718-2822 OR WWW.THECAREACT.COM

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

As far as I could see...it hasnt passed yet. Do you have a website that says otherwise ?

3. SuzanneE

Check the Care Act site or the ILGA

Log on to www.TheCareAct.com and click on "Proposal." You can see the details on all the House and Senate votes---committee and floor. I assure you, the bill has passed the legislature---I was there for every painstaking moment of it.

The bill is now waiting for the Governor. More letters from families like ours helps advance the signing date. Even if you don't live in Illinois, please consider sending a letter. Legislation like this has the potential to affect lawmaking in other states...maybe even yours.

4. Midwestmomma

Ok..i see what you mean. Yes, I knew it had passed and was just waiting on the Governor to sign it...that is when I get to celebrate !! I have been following all this for some time..and have been emailing like crazy to all that can help speed this along. I hope the Governor signs it soon...

5. SuzanneE

Glad to clear things up

Thanks for following the bill and for your support. Be sure to send your letter to the Governor! :)

6. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

That is great news, but the bill does not specifically mention the administration of insulin. And that is the biggest issue in California. Having something like this would help a whole lot, but I wish it came out and said "insulin" and "glucagon".

7. SuzanneE

We Came Out and Said It

The specific language of the bill provides what you are looking for. See Sections 15 and 25:

Section 15. Diabetes care plan.
    b) The services and accommodations specified in a diabetes care plan shall be reasonable, reflect the current standard of diabetes care, include appropriate safeguards to ensure that syringes and lancets are disposed of properly, and include requirements for diet, glucose testing, insulin administration, and treatment for hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, and emergency situations.

Section 25. Training for school employees and delegated care aides.
    (b) Delegated care aides shall be trained to perform the tasks necessary to assist a student with diabetes in accordance with his or her diabetes care plan, including training to do the following: ?
    (5) administer insulin according to the student's diabetes care plan and keep a record of the amount administered; and
    (6) respond in an emergency, including how to administer glucagon and call 911.

8. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

Suzanne,

I wanted to give you my heart felt thanks for your time and dedication to this bill. You have made schools safer for our children and lifted a weight off the shoulders of many parents.

Thanks again!

9. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

I appreciate your work and dedication to seeing this become a reality. Hoping to hear soon that Governor Quinn has signed this bill into law. I have sent my letters and have been encouraging others to as well. :)

10. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Congratulations on getting this school care bill passed in Illinois. Kids with Diabetes need to know they will be safe and not discriminated against because of their diabetes. This is wonderful news.

11. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

This is a wonderful thing!!!!!! We are orginally from the Chicago area and would really like to move back at soem point (we live in NC now). I wondered how the diabetes care worked there (obviously not well!). I did my pre-teacher training there and had a T1 student (the school was very good about meeting his needs), but I know that you can have a 1 school district or 300 school district. Scary. Thank you for all your hard work!!!! I feel better now, if we end up going back.

12. Midwestmomma

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's wonderful news! Thank you to all the parents and advocates who worked hard to pass this legislation! :cwds: