- advertisement -

The beginnings of the Make-a- wish foundation

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Becky Stevens mom, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh no Im not against MAW at all! I think they are an amazing and wonderful organization that has fullfilled the dreams of so many children. I just feel that I wouldnt want Steven to feel that he has a life threatening condition if I can help it for as long as I can help it kwim? I know eventually he will be too old to protect from the realities that are type 1 diabetes. I had always assumed that MAW foundation was for children that had been diagnosed with terminal illness. There is a camp in Ashford CT it is called The hole in the wall gang camp. It was built by the late Paul Newman, his charities have put millions into the camp. It was built for terminally ill children. Ive seen pictures of the camp and the beautiful children that go there. Paul Newman was a great man

2. candise

candise Approved members

Make a Wish Grantor here. I love volunteering with this organization. I feel so lucky to be involved with making kids wishes come true. I was told when I joined that type 1 was not eligible. I just emailed my coordinator for clarification- not sure if this has changed or different chapters have different rules. I will update as soon as I hear back.

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

The high school my girls attended had their own MAW chapter. Each year they raised money to grant one wish. They always chose who would receive the wish and then raised money for it. That way people knew exactly who would be getting the wish. The chapter was started by a HS girl there whose sister had been granted a wish about 6 months before she died of cancer.

4. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

I think the concept behind MAW is just amazing... the son of a friend of mine was dx with a neuroblastoma when he was just a year old. He had many years of follow-up after the surgery and when he was about 4 years old they made a wish to go to Disney and the wish was granted. I saw the pictures from that trip and it looked like it was wonderful. Fortunately, Nick is still cancer-free at the age of 15, though he's got other issues now (Crohns? related?). What I'd really wish for is an organization that would help the parents with the residual medical bills -- 14 years later and my friend is still trying to pay off the hospital. :(

5. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I totally agree! Thank you for bringing this important point up.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I too think the concept is amazing and a wonderful thing. What I don't like is when that beautiful concept gets diluted with peanut allergies and T1. I also agree with previous posters re: the way that the organization (mis)represents itself. Just my two cents.

7. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

There needs to be a similar group made just for T1s for the parents to go out on the town or just plain go to sleep. That's my wish! Sleeping through a night and waking when I so choose :)

I'm kinda on the fence on this one. I think if the child's family is in VERY dire straits and hasnt been able to go on vacation or something then maybe but otherwise I'm kinda leaning towards T1 not necessarily needing a wish granted. That said, it is merely our opinions and not the rules :)

8. candise

candise Approved members

Just wanted to update on what I heard from Make a Wish. This came from my coordinator:

"As far as I know and seen on our records, all the diabetic patients referred to
    us did not qualify as they weere not medically eligible so they didn't have
    wishes granted except for the two patients that had other underlying
    life-threatening medical conditions at the time of the referral that made them
    eligible and qualified for a wish back then."

Hope that helps and nobody stops donating to this great organization based on this thread.

9. Becky Stevens mom

This is very interesting Candise, thank you for posting this. I only posted this thread to show the beginnings of MAW I too think its a wonderful orginization deserving of our support

10. Tonysmum

Tonysmum Approved members

I won't give my thoughts on some of the replies to this thread so as not to offend, however -
    I wish there were a foundation that would grant T1's parents wishes for their children to have a fair, safe and equal education without feeling that they are having to fight every step of the way for reasonable accommodations that should be the automatic right of any child who needs them.

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

So Candise, does each chapter make their own rules? And what and how do they deem "medically eligible"? Who makes that call? The dr who writes the referral? Staff members? Does it often happen that dr's will submit notices for kids and realistically those kids don't qualify? (I'm not being argumentative, I'm genuinely curious now that we're having this discussion, with someone here having received a wish, as to how the process works)

12. Becky Stevens mom

I agree with this completely. As a parent of a CWD in public school Ive had to battle to get people to train in diabetes care. The principal (he has type 2 so knows ALL about type 1:rolleyes:) has said that its a big responsibility that I want to put on the staff there. Well boo hoo, they shouldnt be working in a public schools if they dont want the responsibility. And please Elaine, feel free to give your opinions on the OP, that is why I put it here, to educate and invite opinions and comments.

13. candise

candise Approved members

I am not sure of the entire process as I am only 1 part. The way it works is this: child is referred to MAW. Wish Grantors (that's me) interview child and family and get all the information about the child's wish as well as all information on possible participants of the wish. We then turn in the paperwork to the staff who determines eligibility and works with the doctors to medically approve the wish. We are not allowed to speak about the possibility of the wish coming true ever- we are only the information collectors. Once approved we work with the family on completing the wish.

14. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

That is interesting. When I called my local chapter the lady told me they can not decline any child even if they do not feel the child should get a wish as long as the dr wrote a note. I wonder if it varies from chapter to chapter?

15. frizzyrazzy

Candise, that sounds like such a rewarding thing to do!!!! How do people get involved like this?

16. candise

candise Approved members

All you do is find your local chapter and call them up. You attend a short training meeting and they do fingerprinting and contact some references. The great thing is that you receive an email a week and you can choose how often you can volunteer. If you are really busy- you simply don't sign up for a child. They provide you with the medical condition and the area of town the child is located in. It has been such a great thing for me to be involved in. It is so wonderful to help these families have an amazing experience.

17. frizzyrazzy

so have you ever gone to a family and thought they really were trying to scam the system or have your found most people honest??

18. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread but wanted to share that Reese received a wish from Make-A-Wish. But, he was eligible after his Lymphoma diagnosis. We actually went on the trip (a Disney cruise) 4 days after receiving #2 of the 1-2 punch --- his type 1 diagnosis (which came about 5 months after the end of chemo).

Our understanding of the criteria is that the child must have a life-threatening illness. I assume they mean that there is a chance the child will not survive their illness, as is always true with pediatric cancer. I realize there is a chance that a child will not survive their type1 diagnosis, but it is very, very slim and generally, once "treatment" begins the child's health improves and stabilizes dramatically. This is very different from cancer and other devastating and degenerative diseases that threaten the lives of children.

The experience with MAW was wonderful and it gave Reese and our family something to dream about and look forward to during some very dark, painful and difficult days. I wouldn't have expected something like that for a type1 diagnosis, that's just my opinion though.

Edited to add: The diagnosis and it's "life threatening" nature has to be confirmed by the child's physician before the child is actually approved for the wish process. MAW works closely with children's hospitals and has regular contact with their staff (many referrals coming from the nurses and drs.) so I don't think it would be very likely for someone to be able to scam the system.