- advertisement -

That wasn't so bad

Discussion in 'Teens' started by s0ccerfreak, Mar 24, 2009.

1. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I had an endo appointment today, which I was dreading. As we were chatting w/ a nurse my np stops in and says-you've been sick?- haha yes for about the past month. She said she could tell just by looking at my logs and graphs. My A1C was only 7.6, not to bad consider how horrible things have been for the past month. NP was fine with it (yay). We chatted about adult endos and how long I can still go to childrens. No major changes because nothing has been normal lately. Np was in&out because they've had a lot of new dx's lately and well they need advice/support-25 just this month!! She says I'm suppose to not get sick anymore and get rid of my asthma (cuz thats gunna happen). Today is suppose to be my last day of steroids. My pedi called yesterday to see how I was doing because she noticed I was in again and haven't been feeling well for quite a while. She said if not significantly better by tomorrow afternoon then I need to come back in. Mom says we're waiting till fri because she doesn't want them to put me on steroids longer and thinks if we wait longer I'll feel better...

So I'ld say it was a good visit. Numbers are beginning to look better. I only had to run basals at 200% today. I'm determined to get my A1C back down in the next 4 months and I'm pretty darn sure I can :) If I can't do it on my own, I know I have people to turn to at home, childrens, minimed, and here

2. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I'm glad everything turned out well! I hope my a1c is down when I go in a couple weeks. It was...7.6 actually (or 7.5...) and although I had a few run-ins with really high highs, I think I've brought it down some (I hope). Here's to hoping you don't have to be on steroids any longer! *toasts* May you live long, and not get sick again for at least another 6 months or so!

3. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Rae, that transition (from peds to adult) is so so hard! I would offer you some advice, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. Lemme know if you have ideas...

Oh, and congrats on your good appointment!

4. s0ccerfreak

Well, my pedi here at home is trying to help me out. There is 1 endo in our area, but she is "full." She also does internal medicine for a selected group of patients. My pedi is friends with her and thinks she can get her to take me on. So I'm banking on that, but if it doesn't work we talked to someone at jdrf who said they can hook me up with where they go. Or childrens says they can give me some referrals. Its gunna be weird to see someone different-I've been at children's for 11 yrs...

5. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Wow, 11 years? I have been to 6 different endos so far! (yikes!)

6. s0ccerfreak

There are only 2 difft ped endo practices in the state. We've been mainly happy so we stuck with them. I'm hoping transferring to the new one will be that easy too. Children's said they're happy to see my through my 1st semester of college or a little longer if that would make me comfortable, but by 20 they think I should be seeing an adult endo. Have you tried asking your current endo to refer you to an adult endo?

7. s0ccerfreak

Quick update for you guys. I saw my asthma/allergy doc yesterday. He didn't want to put me on more steroids (yay!) Instead he said to use my inhaler every 4 hours and wrote me a script for a nebulizer to start using at home (got it today). The nebulizer is the same med as the inhaler but a stronger dose and goes in slower (10-15min treatment). It will save us some trips to the doc (yipee)- He said you've had asthma for a while, you know when you need to go in to the er or come in...he really doesn't know me, I like to wait till I'm really sick aka when mom can tell I'm not breathing well.

I still have my basals 2x during the day and 1.5x at night, but am staying under 300. I'm waiting and watching for the steroids to wear off and dramatic lows to appear.