- advertisement -

Thanks to all of those that share!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momof4gr8kids, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Yesterday everything had to go wrong, mostly because we are new to pumping, and don't quite have the hands on expirience yet. I have also heard that the first month of pump is Blank on wheels because if it can go wrong, it will go wrong.
    After breakfast yesterday before Julia got dressed I checked her site. (I was told to do this a few times a day) It was bright red. I went to touch it, and as soon as I did Julia jumped back, and screamed in pain. We agreed that we would change the site (we were going to wait until bath time that night). There was a red water blister looking thing. I washed it with antibactirial soap, and put a bandaid over it. I checked it 2 hrs later, it had gone down, and wasn't angry red anymore, just a light pink, and the area wasn't as big. The rest of the day goes off without a hitch until dinner. Dinner she was 312. She had been at a friends house earlier playing, and after trouble shooting, including checking the pump tubing, alarm history, site, and asking Julia if she ate anything after snack and b/g check at 3, I decided she probably ate something without coming home to bolus. I recheck 2 hrs later, and she is 433 :eek: that is post correction, so I know the site is bad, or something is wrong with the tubing. So I reinspect, and what I find is the pad around the canula is wet, and smells like insulin. The canula had come out :rolleyes: (I was advised not to insert it all of the way by the CDE because Julia said it hurt when she bent over when it was on her tummy). So we correct with syringe, check ketones again, luckily none were present through it all, and change the site again. We put cartoons on, and give Julia a big bottle of water, have her drink, and let her sleep on the couch while we wait to do follow up b/g checks. Everything is now fine. I will never again only inset 2/3 of a canula. We just wont do the tummy anymore because there just isn't enough fat. Bum, or upper thigh seems to be the sweet spot.
    Anyways, now to the point of this post. If I hadn't read what everyone else had been through I may not have had as much working knowledge, or remembered what to do without waiting to reffer to a book. I just wanted to thank you all for sharing all of the good, and bad, and ugly with us all so that we can learn through not only our own expirience, but that of others as well. I don't think I would have been able to remain clam enough to handle it all without all of the knowledge you have all shared. I had been going back and reading posts pertaining to pumping. One had dealt with the blister looking thing on a site, and there are countless threads pertaining to failed sites. So again, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your combined knowledge is awsome. We would all make one heck of an endo team :D
    Jamie

2. Boo

Boo Approved members

Good for you for keeping your wits about you during this little mini-crisis. Whenever my son decides he's ready for the pump, I'll be looking to you for advice!

Way to go, mom!! ;)

3. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Good job, Mom!! Mia is the same age as Julia, and we too have problems using her tummy. We mostly use her bum and hip areas for now. Upper thigh sounds like a good place too - will ask out endo about that during our next checkup.

Keep up the good work!!!

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Good for you tackling the pump:) We had a good first month on the pump.. but it came crashing down after that.. we tend to go through stretches.. we'lll be good for a little bit but I don't jinx myself and say it outloud because I know the next thing I know, something will happen..

the only thing I want to mention that if that site doesn't look better to get her to her regular pedi and get on antibiotics.. Kaylee had a site infection a few weeks ago.. it wasn't to bad, but it definitely was the start of infection.. her DE team made it clear that any sign of infection she gets to her regular ped and gets on antibiotics asap.. by the next day it was clearing up and didn't hurt.. but we still did the antibiotics for 7days..

I hope thigns straighten out for you.. it can be bad, but when you get things straightened out with the pump and things programed right its awesome!

5. Momof4gr8kids

I called our GP, and she said as long as it started looking better by this am that we didn't need to bring her in. By last night it looked normal - or what I assume is normal. Just a little prick spot like you would get with an injection, just a tiny bit bigger, I assume b/c of the gauge. No fever, no more redness, or pain.
    Our numbers have been good for the most part, most of our problem is from cereal, and the infusion site failing last night *knock on wood*.
    I really like the small amounts of the pump, and I am hoping since Julia is little it wont be an issue for her when she gets older. Most of the kids now think her pump is so cool. Most kids have no clue what it is, they just think it is a phone, or pager, mostly just the kids in her class know what it is, but they are so young they don't really understand.
    Hopefully we both have better luck in the time to come with very little problems :)

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Glad that the site looks better.. antibiotics mess with numbers so it would have been one more worry that you don't need right now:) Kaylee LOVES to show off her pump to people, and she absolutely LOVES to see other people on a pump.. she doesn't see it very often so when she does, she thinks its cool.. we make sure she knows that she may not play with the pump.. thats a big no no.. but I do let her lock it.. the only thing she is allowed to do:) Tonight, while talking with my MIL.. I let Kaylee hold her pump--we were looking at her pump pouch, trying to come up with a better way to make it--and the little turkey actually unlocked her pump (you have to press two buttons at once, and she has never been told or shown how to do it but she figured it out) and got into the bolus menu, into bolus wizard and all the way to carb count (I was standing RIGHT THERE too.. just thought she was pressing buttons, not realizing it was UNLOCKED.. ) and she says LOOK, This is where you go.. holy moly.. that was the end of her 'holding' her pump..

When we first received K's pump we were at the mall eating lunch.. I was giving her a bolus and this little girl walks by and says "MOM whats she doing" MOm doesn't answer so the girl repeats, even louder.. still mom doesn't answer, so she repeats it LOUDER and the mom finally said 'she's text messaging someone'.. now clearly I was not texting, K's shirt was up and you could clearly see it was attached to her.. I said, Its an insulin pump, I'm giving her insulin.. but what I really wanted to say was "Ya, I'm text messaging her pancreas to give her insulin'.. people have NO clue what it is.. matt (DH) biggest fear is that someone will rip it off of K thinking its a toy..

did you ever hear about the sub teacher that ripped an insulin pump off a student thinking it was a pager/phone when the alarm went off.. didn't even give the kid time to explain what it was.. that just makes me so mad.. ever happens to Kaylee and they'll be one HUGE lawsuit!

I hope you don't have anymore probs and its smooth sailing for you:)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  7. Momof4gr8kids

Julia pushes the ok button after I have dialed everything in, and she also locks her pump. We have the animas 1250, you hold the two arrow keys down at the same time to lock, and unlock it. We keep it locked so that no oppsies are made. I can't belive Kaylee is already unlocking her pump, and going into the menu mommy uses. How scarey, but you must be proud to have such a smartie pants.

I had heard about the sub that did that. It is one of my worst nightmares that someone who doesn't know better might try something like that. I would sue so fast her head would spin.

8. margaret

margaret Approved members

Hi Jamie, Just wanted you to know, that I always look for your posts here. I am a mom also and we have been doing the D thing for almost 6 years. We still do MDI regimen as my son is horrified by the pump stories and I don't blame him. He does all he can do currently to just attend school safely. We can't imagine switching at the moment. I spoke to CDE on Friday, she shared 6 children had dropped the pump recently due to the struggles and assured me it is not for everyone. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Margaret

9. Momof4gr8kids

Beth, Thanks, pumping was like relearning D care, lol.

Marisa, We will have to try the hip, sounds like a good spot. Thanks for the idea.

Margaret, I read alot of your posts, too. You are right, pumping is not for everyone. We chose it because I could see that at night Julia always went high about midnight, and low at school, and during hard play, and exersize. I have met a few people who have tried it, and didn't like it. It is really about what works best in your, and your sons life.

Thanks for all of the support :cwds: Jamie

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

11. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Jamie, well done for surviving that!!! The first few weeks are so nerve wrecking but by the sounds of it you are more than capable.
    I hope you don't encounter too many more crises.

We had a lot at the beginning and have learnt ALOT from them.
    Best of luck!
    xxx

12. Momof4gr8kids

Thanks Carol, I am glad I survived it. I also hope I don't have to do anymore crisis hands on learning, lol, at least for a few more days so that I can do a few more site changes without being in a state of panic.

(((hugs)))
    Jamie