- advertisement -

Thankful for D?? - warning, this is depressing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andy'sMom, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

I never thought I would be thankful for D, but after what has happened with my nephew this week, I am thankful for it. Like many of our kids reflected on this site, my son Andy was diagnosed in DKA and we almost lost him that first night in the hospital. Until this week, we were the only parents in our extended family who had experienced a life-threatening and life-altering situation with a child. This past Wednesday, my nephew (who is Andy's age... 4 years old) was admitted to the hospital and his diagnosis is an inoperable, malignant brian tumor called diffuse pontine glioma. He will undergo radiation and chemo, but the cancer is so aggressive, that his life expectancy is 6-9 months. We are all heartbroken over this and it makes me so grateful that even though we almost lost Andy, his diagnosis is something we can manage. I'll be the first to say that D sucks and I hate it, but today, I am also grateful for it. I am grateful that with care and management (and lots of guessing) that I will be able to hug my son every night and tell him I love him and I will be able to watch him grow and play little league and learn to drive and fall in love and do a million other things. I'm grateful.

2. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Oh, I'm so sorry for your family. We'll be praying for him. HUGS

3. allisa

allisa Approved members

I am so very sorry to hear your tragic news.

I can't imagine the heartbreak your family is feeling.

I thank you for reminding us that although Diabetes is a challenge, we have it lucky in comparison to others and that is very important when trying to keep perspective.

4. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I am so sorry, that is just heartbreaking:( But I am with you, I am also very grateful it is "just" diabetes.

5. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

I'm so sorry for your family. As awful as D is, there is always something worse. And, thankfully, as you said, with proper care, our children will grow and thrive. Please know that your family is in our prayers.

6. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I am so sorry. I am sorry that your family has to go through this. I will pray for a miracle. HUGS

7. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I do believe that helps. This website is a huge help to me in general and I will look for something similar for my brother and sister in law in regards to Ben's cancer. I have to think there are support groups and sites for that. As I feel with Andy's D, having family and friends support you is great, but there is a special bond with others who are going through the same thing you are and facing the same challenges and fears and questions. You guys are awesome and I'm also grateful for that!

8. chocoholicsc

chocoholicsc Approved members

Oh, my heart breaks for your family just reading this. Sending you all many prayers and ((hugs))!!:cwds::cwds:

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew, how heartbreaking.

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I am so sorry that your Brother and Sister in law and nephew are going through this. This is a tragedy and so heartbreaking. I wish no parent ever had to have this happen.

11. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I too am so sorry. That is heartbreaking news. I will keep Ben and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

12. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

I'll be praying for your nephew and family.
    I sent you a pm too.

13. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I am so sorry :(. My stomach is in big lumps after reading your post because it brought back some painful memories. When Mia was in PreK 2 1/2 yrs ago, one of her little classmates was also dx with the same kind of tumor, a diffuse pontine glioma. I was very friendly with his mother and witnessed first hand the family's desperation, neverending hope and struggle and finally the devastating loss of their beautiful baby boy after less than a year after dx. It was one of the most painful, helpless situations for any loved one to endure and witness, and my heart still aches from the experience and the loss the family must feel every day.

My heart goes out to you and your family. I will say a prayer for them tonight and many more nights to come. It's just gut-wrenching to think that innocent children can get such devastating news about their health.

:(

14. LovingMomOf2

LovingMomOf2 Approved members

I am so sorry. :( That is so heartbreaking. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

15. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

I feel very sorry for you and your family. I have been reading your nephew's caring bridge page. I follow a boy who has a page like caring bridge but it called carepages. His mother directed us to your nephew's site. After reading throughout his page, I can tell that he is a very sweet little boy who is very strong and is taking this in stride.

16. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear of your nephew's dx. Hugs to you and your family!!

Yes, I'm thankful its "just" D. I may have days where I'm tired from testing his blood all night, BUT I'm tired since he is healthy and running around like a maniac. Tired in a good, thankful sort of way.:cwds:

17. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

I am so incredibly sorry for your nephews diagnosis. You are so so right on your feelings about diabetes. I feel that way daily.

18. Java

Java Approved members

Oh, How awful. I found this web site a few months ago. I cried when I read all the stories. I can not imagine knowing in less than a year my child would die. I will keep all of these children in my prayers. You are so right we are blessed to have a diease we can treat.
    http://www.whynotaidan.com/index_files/OurKids.htm

19. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

May the Lord give your family strength.
    I am so sorry for you heartbreaking news. :( God Bless.

20. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I am so sorry.