advertisement

Tests at school

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by sugarmonkey, Jun 24, 2008.

1. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I've put this on here because you guys will understand more what schools are like in nz.
    Does anyone have any ideas how I can get Phillip to remember to do his tests and boluses at school? I've been trying to get him to remember since the beginning of the year. His teacher has a reminder on his computer and will remind Phillip before lunch and morning tea, but Phillip still forgets by the time he gets to his bag, and sometimes the teacher isn't on the computer at the right time and forgets himself.
    Sometimes Phillip will remember to bolus, but the only times he's tested at school is when he's been low. It's only twice a day he needs to do it at school.
    We've set reminders on his pump. They sometimes help him remember boluses, but not tests.
    He's also lying about it. Telling me he remembered to test, then I check his meter and there's nothing on there.
    I've tried rewards and things like that. The only other thing I can think of is going to the school myself. Thats not always possible.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks

2. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hey Stacie

Sorry but can't help you with this one. Believe it or not, Tyler has been really really good with remembering to test at school! Goes against everything I know about him!

I know that he sets the alarm on his watch to go off about 10 minutes before the lunch bell. He has to go to the sick bay to test. So far so good.

Good luck in solving your problem!

3. sugarmonkey

Phillip sets an alarm on his watch and pump, but still forgets! He puts his test kit in his lunch box to try and remember but still forgets!

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Hmm - I have an 11 yr old and she'd probably forget as well :rolleyes:
    Can you take the responsibility off Phillip and give it to someone else? You say the teacher has a reminder on his computer - can he say 'Phillip - Test NOW!'?? Our D kids have so much extra to do, it might be nice for him to be helped out here :cwds:

MAN ITS COLD TODAY!! :(

5. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

I guess another thing in our favour is the fact that Tyler has had the same teacher for the past 2 yrs so the routine is pretty set. An even bigger bonus is that she grew up with a Type 1 father and a type 1 brother, so is fully aware of the importance of testing.
    In fact she probably knows more than Carl and I at times!

I have been racking my brains all morning trying to think of some ideas for you and I am stumped. (Mind you, today is my first day of being smoke free so I'm probably not thinking that well anyway!)

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

"Bribe his mates to help him remember" ;)

7. sugarmonkey

Jane
    The teacher reminds Phillip if he's on the computer at the right time. Hes not always though. And sometimes it seems Phillip forgets between leaving the classroom and getting to his bag! I know he's done that at home a lot. I've told him to test and he's forgotten what he's doing on the way to get his meter.
    This is his first year at intermediate, and he's been forgetting lots of things since he started. Maybe its the age?:confused:

Debs, Congrats on quitting smoking. Good luck.

8. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Thank God for Nicotine Patches!!!!

9. Scotty's Mum

Scotty's Mum Approved members

Hi Stacie

Couple of thoughts for you. How do you treat Phillip when he lies about something else? Are you able to treat the lies about testing the same way? I know with Scott he did this once (lied about testing, but did bolus) and I treated it the same way I would any lie. We haven't had a problem since, but Scott knows that I will not tolerate being lied to. He knows he gets into more trouble lying than telling the truth about what he has (or hasn't) done.

The other thought is you might have to start putting his lunch somewhere else eg the office or with his teacher, so he has to go and get it from someone who can make sure he checks bg and boluses. This may not be an option, but it sounds like he just doesnt want the responsibility at the moment (and what 11 year old does).

Jane - I'm right there with you on the cold.

We also lost all telecommunications today for about 5 hours- no phone, cellphone coverage, eftpos, faxes, internet, nothing. Made for a very challenging day at work!!!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  10. sugarmonkey

Dianna
    I treat the lies the same way I do any lies.
    I think he forgets quite a lot when it comes to his tests etc. I'm going to try and get him to remember more in the holidays, not sure exactly how yet, but I'll work on it. I work Mon, Tues, so when he goes back if he doesn't do his tests those days, I'll go in at lunchtime on the wed, thu, fri. I did this for a while when he first started pumping, but that was because his teacher was useless. Never took any notice of what Phillip was doing school work wise, or d wise. He could have had a seizure and she wouldn't notice.

11. Weezay

Weezay Approved members

Thats really interesting. My mom really never had a lot trouble with me. I'm only in high school rite now but the past yrs have been pretty good. Um I sometimes after lunch don't have time to my bs but i do take insulin. I think a lot of d kids do that. O and do u think his friends pick on him? cause when i first got it i wouldn't check my bs in class nor take shots cause my classmates would pick on me. I was 9 then. So that could b an issue. Just a thought

-Weezay

12. sugarmonkey

Phillip most of the time doesn't remember insulin either.
    We had a good day yesterday, he only forgot one time. Fingers crossed it continues.
    He doesn't have any problem with his friends teasing him. They seem interested sometimes more than anything. At primary school he had one or two friends who would always remind him to do his stuff. So far he's never been teased about having d. Touch wood that continues.

13. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

pay him to remember.

What kid doesn't like a bit of money.

Decide on your amount and tell him that it's for him taking care of himself. The amount he gets per day is dependent on doing all the test. Miss one and miss out.

That way if he screws up, he can start over tomorrow.

He's got to want to remember. there's obviously not enough insentive to be bothered at the moment.

An arse whipping isn't legal these days do I resort to insentives.

14. sugarmonkey

Fran,
    I tried paying him but being on a benefit, money was too tight. I'm now trying giving him five minutes computer time for every test and bolus he remembers. I don't deduct any for missed ones. The last two days this has worked. Fingers crossed it continues.

15. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

I understand the lack of money thing. Even with WFF and the disability allowance, we're no where in the ball park of where we were when I was working.

I am planning on paying him his disability allowance when he hits intermediate. Make him keen on taking care. I heard about it from a friend who knows another D family, where the kid gets his disability allowance as long as he looks after himself and maintains a good A1c.

I guess it's a matter of finding out what works for him and using it against him LLOL. And as with all boys the reward has gotta be pretty immediate otherwise they loose site of it.

Good luck and maybe give the school a push to remind him.