- advertisement -

Tests 3-5 times before sleeping!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lize, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Lize

Lize Approved members

My DD wears the MM CGM. For weeks on end no severe highs or lows and a A1C last week of 6.7. We've settled into the 'new normal" and things are okay. BUT - we usually test around 21h00 (3 hours past supper mark & bedtime). I take a peek at the CGM at 23h00 and 02h00. Every night. As my DD is 12 and a very responsible child, I allow her to do some of her D care herself. I am a full time working single mom and we are forced due to our circumstances to let dd take some responsibility for her D care.

This morning I was looking for something in her room, and I saw in her dustbin no less than 12 used test strips. She cleaned out her dustbin on Monday. So this gave me 12 tests in 2 days that I didn't know of. When I checked her glucose meter, I saw that all those tests were done in the middle on the 2 nights and within 5 minutes of each other.

We had a long conversation about this and it came down to her being scared of dying in her sleep because of a low. She sets her cellphone's alarm clock for 12 and then starts this testing routine.

What would you suggest I do about this? I am not angry at her. Not at all. I am sad for her. She's suppose to worry about make-up, boys, schoolwork. Not about dying. Not yet.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You could have a discussion with her about the facts. How rare it is that something like that would happen. That she is using the latest technology to keep her safe and healthy. That you are also checking on her when she is asleep. Then I would let it go. I am thinking this is probably just a phase she is going through and the excessive checking will soon fade away.

I think it may also be the age. Danielle has recently been verbalizing thoughts about dying, and being scared to die, not in relation to diabetes but just in general. What happens when you die, what is heaven like, what about reincarnation, things like that. Those types of thought are pretty normal for this developmental stage.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. zell828

zell828 Approved members

This makes me sad :(

Does her CGM alarm or do you have it set for alarms? Maybe that would make her feel better to get a warning that way so she wouldn't have to test so often. She can also just glance at the CGM number without having to test so often.

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

Such a sad thing.

Does she know you are checking her as well? Does she trust the cgms? Maybe she would feel better if you checked her for a few nights and compared those numbers with the cgms?

My guess would be that she is reaching a point in acceptance of the disease that includes the dangers. Kids are so perceptive and we are all afraid of those hours of sleep. I know that Nathan is much younger than your daughter but he has also been worried about being in danger during the night. We've talked about what would make him feel more safe and he says that he needs me to check him in the night. He's young enough to believe that I have more power than I do and if I say I will check him in the night then he can sleep well "knowing" that he is safe.

I hope your daughter can work through her fears and come to a point where she has a healthy respect for the nighttime hours instead of a fear that would cause her to repeatedly test herself.

5. Lize

Lize Approved members

Thanks for your responses. We had a long converstation about dying again last night and this ended up in her crying - no - actually breaking down. She says she is not scared abouth dying itself - she is scared of what will happen to me should she die. I tried explaining to her that everybody will eventually die and that it is not to say that she will die of diabetes. We went over the numbers of the CGM during various times compared to actual finger tests and I hope this helped. I also set her Basal Delivery Suspension on 5 at night (90) and explained again that apart from all this her liver will most probably give some glugacon before it is to late. I asked her nicely to trust The Lord, me and the CGM and to really try and sleep at night so that her brain and little body can get much needed rest.

This morning I saw that she didn't check once during the night. Hopefully we are getting somewhere... :(

6. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

My dd 12, also went through this phase. She has been dx'd with anxiety disorder too, another piece of the problem. (She can't tell the difference between the feeling of going low and going high, so it has been a problem for her.) At this point, she does not want the additional site of a CGM, because I had hoped that might be an answer for her.
    Once in a blue moon, she does this again, but she has seemed to work through for the most part.

Sounds like you have worked through this well for her :) Just wanted to mention the possiblity of an anxiety disorder in case you notice increased anxiety in other areas,too.