- advertisement -

Testing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momontherun, May 1, 2013.

1. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

I was wondering when on the go how you clean finger before testing. We are using alcohol wipes at times and I think they are drying.

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We don't, even at home. But if we get an unexpected number I do have her wash her hands and recheck.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I don't think she's washed her hands since she was in the hospital. I do make her go do it if she gets a wonky reading but otherwise it's never going to happen. Teenagers are gross, just sayin.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We use alcohol wipes in a pinch (like on a ball field), but mostly there are bathrooms where we would need to test (restaurant, etc), so she just washes her hands. My daughter inherited my dry skin, and she generally puts lotion on her hands right after giving herself her shot anyway so we have not noticed any additional dryness.

5. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Same here!

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

LOL, I almost answered but then chickened out. NEVER does he wash his hands before testing! Glad to hear we're not alone.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we have a sent free babywipe in a snack size ziplock along with a tissue. We wipe the spot we are going to test and then dry with the tissue and if any excess blood we wipe again. Wejust fold over to a clean spot often and toss when it looks gross.

Helpfull when you are in a theme park and pass by the cotton candy vendor.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

A bit of wetted kleenex or toilet paper are good to deal with sticky fingers, if a hand wash isn't possible.

We've had a few instances where sticky fingers made it look like DD was way high when in fact she was in range..

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

This.

(extra characters just to hit the minimum requirement to post :p )

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Glad we aren't the only ones!
    Seriously though, if she remembers she will wash her hands or if she has a weird number we definitely will but otherwise, well, if it happens, it's great.

And cleaning the finger afterwords...let's just say she must be part vampire because she licks her finger. Even in her sleep!

11. Dan

Dan Approved members

We must be the only ones but we use alcohol wipes everytime when we can not wash hands.

12. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

It's almost like "subsequent kids" with us.

The first in the family (not a kid, though) got diabetes, and it was wiping every single time. The next (again, not a kid) got diabetes and it was sometimes... now it's "just test it already" for everyone. :rolleyes:

So pretty much, what others have said. We don't bother unless she's visibly dirty or her number comes up wonky.

13. minniem

minniem Approved members

You're not the only ones. My DS always uses an alcohol prep prior to testing, a lot more than washing his hands. He just wants to do the quickest thing possible to clean his fingers. Now after he's done, I've noticed he's starting licking his finger to get the blood off. :p

14. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

I guess since DD was 2 at diagnosis and toddlers have extremely dirty/sticky fingers, I try to make sure she washes everytime. I have wet wipes everywhere so we can make sure she has somewhat clean fingers. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, but we try.

15. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I have a 13 yr old. I know when I'm not around she doesn't wash or wipe her hands. In elementary school when someone was watching over her, I know she did at school. Now in middle school. Hahahaha.... Only if she calls/texts me with a high number and I tell her to of if she's testing right after using the restroom. Otherwise, I know it's not happening.

Anyway when we're out and about we'll find a bathroom, dip a napkin in a water glass at a restaurant etc. In the car I usually have a water bottle and she'll use that IF I remind her in time. Usually she's half done before I remember and I get a big ole sigh and eye roll and she just says "my hands are clean" and continues.

So I don't stress about it too much unless she has an unexpected and/or unusually high number. In which case we'll find a way to wash and try again.

16. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I feel so much better knowing my dd isn't the only one. Forced hand washing with unexpected readings. Otherwise, it's anyone's guess as to when she last washed her hands. And she's a vampire as well, which is an improvement over wiping fingers on her clothes...even with the always-present cotton ball in her kit.
    I'm seriously hoping she grows out of this phase as quickly as her older sisters.

17. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

we use the wipes every finger check and every injection. but with us it was less about being concerned with cleanliness, and more about giving her a step in the process that she has ownership of, since she doesn't check or inject herself. we give her the wipe, she cleans, and then she tells us when she's ready for it. now i think its force of habit more than anything else.

18. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I bought a bunch of the Wet Ones on sale last year (individually wrapped) and always keep some in my purse and the diabetes bag. At home either wash hands or wipe off finger with wet towel

19. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Same here. If he were 3 I'd probably rinse his hands before most checks (or even wipe with wet paper towel) but since my DS is 11, he usually doesn't have random food/dirt all over his hands. (Or if he does he'll wash first.) I don't think we've *ever* used an alcohol wipe for testing.

20. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mine's a vampire as well. Which I often point out is gross but she doesn't seem to really care.