- advertisement -

Testing/injections in Public

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tina, Jun 27, 2011.

1. tina

tina Approved members

My son was diagnosed last week and is only four so I am very new to the topic. He takes all of the pokes and "mesquito bites" very well and is quite stoic. He gets tested before each meal and then gets an injection afterwards. So far I have done both a few times at a sandwich shop or McDonalds and I didnt think much of it, as I waited tables for many years, and would often see people with diabetes give themselves injections with their meals. I suppose I assumed that people understood the importance.

However, a few nights back I was out with my son with my boyfriend and my boyfriend became very upset and said that it should be done in the car, not in a public place. He mentioned it was like personal hygiene and I should consider the impact it may have upon others and give him his injection in private. I was more than a little offended, to be honest.

Is there a social consensus on this topic or advice you guys might offer? I was genuinely surprised to find out that people might have such a strong opinion on this topic.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We test and treat wherever and whenever.. I've done it in food courts, at the table, in school.. anywhere.. she's not on injections anymore, so its easier with a pump.. but with injections we did it where ever we were when she needed an injection or to be tested.. I was always very careful to bring all the trash with me and not leave it behind, but there is no reason he can't test and treat inside McD's, the food court or at the playground.:cwds:

3. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

We've always done testing/shots in public places as long as our son was comfortable with it. Now that he's on a pump, sometimes he'll want to test inside the car if we're, lets say, outside a restaurant, and then he can bolus inconspicuously before the meal. I really leave it up to him, or for convenience sake. In the past six years since his diagnosis, I really haven't received (or sensed) any negative feedback when managing his diabetes in public.

Stephanie, mom to Jacob age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM

4. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

If your son is ok with it you should be too. My thoughts have always been that if we go and "hide" in the bathroom or somewhere else to do the shots then I'm teaching my son to be ashamed of his diabetes. That is definitely NOT the message I want to send - however I go with whatever my son is comfortable with. If he doesn't care if he does it in public then we do it whenever, where ever.

5. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

I also test and bolus everywhere.

I am too tired to find an inconspicuous spot. Just being honest.

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

For a long time I made a point of not hiding it, I did not want to take the chance that we would think he had something to be ashamed of...Tell your boyfriend to get over it ;)

7. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

We do it right there at the table. I do make a point of putting all the needles, test strips, etc...in his bag so we are not throwing that stuff in the trash. I try to remind him to not "shoot the two" (insulin priming) up in the air where everyone can see it. He kinda does that at home.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think the consensus here is that we test and treat our children wherever and whenever they need it and based on their comfort level.

Your boyfriend should be more concerned about the impact diabetes is having on your son and less about the impact on other people.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  9. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Anywhere, anytime. We don't make a big deal of it.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I wanted to add; the only time we 'hide' is when Kaylee is feeling she needs to.. sometimes people look and it bothers her.. didn't so much when she was little, but she definitely has those moments now. We don't go to the bathroom or anything, we just try and keep a low profile.. she'll block her pump from people looking.. she's got the dirty look down though. :D

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son tests and treats where ever he is. We did shots in public -- most folks don't notice much.

Your boy friend needs to get over his awkwardness. Bathrooms are horrible places to test and give a shot.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  12. mocha

mocha Approved members

I test and treat in public. It's like breathing: I'm doing it to take care of me. Everyone else gets to do necessary things, like breathing, in public. So, why shouldn't I get to take my insulin or test in public?

13. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

The message I want to send to my daughter is that this is what is is... we have nothing to shy about. If she "wanted' to be shy about it so be it, that said it is not up to me and I am proud when she will take care of HER. I am careful about the trash, but we have nothing to be ashamed about. I am glad she is taking care of herself. We stop where ever we are and care for what needs to be done! This is her health and her well being.
    Your boyfriend needs to understand this.

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Definitely anywhere and anytime, not hiding, no shame, nothing unhealthy or unhygienic about it.

15. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I agree with others.

You don't want your son to grow up thinking his D is anything he needs to hide - and your boyfriend should be more worried about your sons comfort level than a bunch of random strangers out in public.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

I agree 100% with this - short and sweet - you don't want your kid thinking D is something to be ashamed of.

17. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

This..
    This....

And this...
    Those people can take care of themselves so you don't need to worry about them and their comfort levels. You will find the more places you go, very few people notice at all. Most likely they are worried about their own issues, and what their own kids are doing. Just do what you need to do for your son, then enjoy your meal.

18. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

DD's been pumping for four years now, so we haven't done shots in public in a while. But we check blood whenever and wherever. Seriously, she's checked while we were paying for our purchase in Home Depot once, a few times she has sat down in an aisle in the grocery store as she felt so low and checked there. You do what you have to do.

As far as shots, same thing. At first we tried to find a quiet spot but after a few times I said heck with that and we started doing it right at the table. The only times we didn't were once at a very nice restaurant and my husband was uncomfortable so I did take her to the restroom, but only because I knew it had a nice lounge area. And once at WDW because it was a character meal and crazy busy and I was afraid of someone bumping us etc.

We've never had anyone other than children stare or say anything. And the children were quickly hushed by their parents and told not to stare etc. One woman calmly told her children that dd was getting her insulin to be healthy and not to stare as it's rude. :)

Oops, I just remembered there was a time a grown woman was staring. She was sitting at the booth across from us. I didn't say anything, thought maybe I was just being oversensitive or something. But as we walked out my sister who was with us said she noticed it too and was getting quite annoyed. I don't know what her problem was.

19. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

^^^^^ totally agree!!!! ^^^^^

20. khannen

khannen Approved members

Add me to the long list in agreement. :) My daughter was 3 yrs old when dxd. She started pumping after a few months, but I clearly remember giving injections whenever and wherever needed. If she would have seemed uncomfortable or shy, we would have looked for privacy. However, from day one, we have handled it as just our "new normal". There is nothing for her to hide and no reason to be ashamed. We still do finger pokes in public and have even done several pod (pump) changes.

Tell boyfriend to get over it and support your son rather than worrying about offending a stranger over a needle. It's not like you're going to drop your son's pants in the middle of the McDonalds lobby and give him a shot in the rear. ;)