- advertisement -

Testing in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rakgyk, Apr 24, 2013.

1. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

Thankfully Gavi can tell someone when he feels low (he says he feels shaky). Lately he's been going to the school nurse 1-2 times per day saying he feels shaky. Sometimes he's low, sometimes he's not. I was thinking to find out if he would be allowed to keep a monitor in his backpack so he can test himself in class. If he sees he's low, then he can go to the nurse. If he's not low, then he doesn't need to miss class. Sometimes he can feel low if he's high then drops too fast. He's in 1st grade.

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think this is an important thing to discuss with the school. Right now, my daughter tests only at the nurse's office, but the nurse and I were talking about how next year, we should change it.

She's honeymooning and until we adjusted her ratios again, she had been going mildly low multiple times a week. I got concerned because, it takes time to walk to the nurse, test, eat, wait, retest, (possibly eat, wait, retest again) and then walk back to class. If she had a low that wouldn't come up, she could easily miss 35 minutes of class - almost an entire subject period! That just doesn't seem necessary to me. She's not incapacitiated, she's just waiting to re-test.

This year, her classroom is pretty close to the nurse's office, next year it will likely be much further. I think we are going to amend her 504 next year to have testing/eating in the classroom as standard and only have her go to the nurse if it's an unusual situation. Hopefully no one in her future 5th grade class faints at the sight of blood!

3. dshull

dshull Approved members

My son is 8 and in the 2nd grade. He started out the school year going to the nurse to test but he was getting upset that it took too much time out of his day. So now he has an entire kit in the classroom and a walkie talkie to the nurse. If he feels low, he can check himself in his classroom and then he can radio the nurse the number. She tells him what to do over the radio - be it come to see her, drink a juice in class, etc. If he had a really low number, she would come see him. But if he is in the 60s, he usually has a juice box, he goes back to whatever he was doing in class, and the teacher sets a timer for 15 minutes to test again. This has worked out really well and goes a long way to making him feel more normal.

Right now he tests twice at school - just before lunch and before he gets on the bus at the end of the day. For lunch he has to go to the nurse so she can give him his insulin. But at the end of the day, he tests in the classroom and then they radio the number to the nurse.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son is in 3rd grade, and just this year he started testing in class.

We CGM, so he tests if he alarms. He has a little notecard and treatment for lows in his classroom box, so sometimes he can just treat and stay in the room. If he feels low (and it is just recently that he has been feeling his lows), I prefer that he go to the nurse at this point. If he is symptomatic, he is probably not thinking very clearly, and I'd prefer that he have help. Her office is basically right across from his classroom.

I guess that in 1st grade, I'd probably rather your son have help if he is feeling symptoms. If he tests in the room and he is not low, it could be because he is dropping fast and will be low soon. For a 6-7 year old, I'd probably want an adult to help him assess if that is what is happening.

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My son starting testing in the classroom in second grade and if low or high would then go to the nurse. He still went to the nurse for lunch and pre-gym checks at that point. I never even thought about the option of checking in the classroom until he was treating suspected lows with a juicebox while waiting for the nurse and was on occasion actually high and feeling his high as a low.

You have to do what works best for you child.

6. jacks101

jacks101 Approved members

My 7 year old tests in her classroom, and has since she was first diagnosed last year. There is no nurse, so she shows her teacher the reading and texts it to me as well (we gave her a cell phone). It works well for us.