- advertisement -

Testing in the classroom

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by cadesmom, May 31, 2008.

1. cadesmom

cadesmom Approved members

Does your school allow your kid to test in class?
    We are testing in class but the distict nurse is writng a D plan for all the school nurse's to follow, I talked with a Mom yesterday who just had a meeting with District nurse and she said that We can't have a sharp's box in class, because Osha wont allow it. She is trying to make everyone go to the nurse's office to test. I think I will just have to tell her to go jump in the lake.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You can tell her to jump in the lake -- and the Texas Law backs you up. If you and the endo decide your child can test himself in the classroom, the school has to allow it.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

And if your kid needs to test and is going low so fast he won't make it to her office? Is this included in the D plan? :(

4. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Not to promote less than ideal habits, but if your son used the same lancet for all checks at school, what would need to go in a sharps container? Maybe you could put a snack sized baggie in his meter every day to collect the test strips, bring them home every day just to work around their ignorance.

5. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

Our son test and injects himself in class. He uses an old test strip container to hold his used lancets, and recaps his syringes and places them in his emergency bag. At the end of the day when I pick him up a clean out his emergency bag.

In our district the school nurse in does not take care of diabetics, the school secretary does. In fact the district next to us cut the school nurse all together. In short we put our son in a private school that can handle his diabetes.

6. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Hailey uses the multiclix so there are no used lancets to worry about it. When she was on shots we would put a small plastic container that was originally one of those cookie decorating sugar containers. At the end of the day I would empty her bag of used syringes and strips and change her multiclix drum.

ETA: No matter what you decide, from what I read about Texas law, the nurse cannot prevent your son from testing in the classroom.

7. cadesmom

Hi Nichole, We also use the multilclix, but this other mom does not, and that's where I heard this information, she said that they are going to investagate what we are doing at my son's school this summer. This nurse think's that she can make a set of rule's and all the D kid's in town are going to follow them. I have my attouney on standby and if she think's for 1 min. my son is going to the office to test, I will have him up there.

8. mckynziesmom

mckynziesmom Approved members

How can she make a D plan for every kid with diabetes in school to follow. She evidentally doesn't know that all kids diabetes care is NOT all the same. With the Texas Law you can check in class or anywhere needed and can keep supplies with you at ALL TIMES. I am very interested to see how she thinks she has the power to override a STATE LAW. Who does she think she is? I'm right there with you and I am done trying to work with her if she thinks my daughter can't check in class or wherever she can just try to explain that to my attorney.

9. THE LARA'S

THE LARA'S Approved members

Its sad that alot of school districts dont help our kids with Diabetes, but instead they seem to make it harder or un-helpfull. These kids have alot on there plate would be nice to help them in there time of need.

Josh

10. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Here's the actual bill/state law. They can't say boo about what it says. You have the upper hand. Basically any diabetic in a texas public school can carry anything related to his/her diabetes-no questions asked. There's other perks to the bill too, but yeah. Print it out.

http://www.diabetes.org/uedocuments/HB984.final.pdf

11. cadesmom

Thank's for that, I have given them a copy of the house bill 984, but for some reason they are not reading it the same we read it.
    In July We have Veronica from the ADA in Austin coming and she is bring 2 attourney with her to help us.

12. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Wow, that's amazing. ADA has always done one certain thing very well: protecting the rights of diabetics. I think that's pretty bad that your school/school district refuses to comply/be flexible for a child with diabetes. I mean saying no to testing blood sugars in the classroom can possibly be dangerous for your child. I mean, they know your child has a medical problem, and they refuse to acknowledge your child really has special needs that require attention in the classroom.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I think it more amazing how this school is interpreting the Texas law that allows children to test themselves where ever they are on the school property.

I guess that is what attorneys are for.