- advertisement -

Testing in School

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by karliesmom, Aug 8, 2011.

1. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

The Arizona state law says that kids who are able can self manage their diabetes, but it doesn't state a location for this. If your child has to go to the nurse's office to test, then it isn't really allowing self management is it? I would fight it.

2. karliesmom

karliesmom Approved members

Thank you so much!!!

I wanted to thank you all so much for responding to my question. I have checked on the websites people gave me and got as much information as I could. I then called the "head" nurse for the district. I almost cracked up at what she said because someone had mentioned it when replying to my post. She said they are worried about blood born pathogens...LMAO I explained a few things to her and told her I had the the Arizona State laws regarding D kids and managing their diabetes themselves right in front of me and that by law my daughter is allowed to test whenever and wherever she wants.

She told me all kids have always gone to the nurses office, even in high school and it has never been an issue. Well lady, lol, I am now making it an issue...deal with it..LOL. She took my name and said she would bring this up at the next district meeting. She was nice about things and seemed more ignorant to the laws than non compliant. Will be interesting to see where this goes as time goes on. Like I mentioned, it isn't an issue this year but I want our ducks in a row so when my daughter is ready to self manage she can do it without any hassle.

Thank you again everyone!! You guys are the best!!!
    Kim =)

3. amberdawn33

amberdawn33 Approved members

Testing in class

You really need to get this clarified. The elementary school told us this last year when Skylar was in 5th grade. The teachers didn't want the "liability" of interpreting the blood sugar. We actually had to pull Skylar out of school and homeshcool because she could not complete her work because she was out of class so much in the nurses office.
    We are "fighting" for our 504 plan this year and that is one of our accomodations. The school is cooperating this year, thankfully.