- advertisement -

Test strips or meter?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cgbphp, Jan 2, 2012.

1. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

Hayden uses a one touch ultra link meter with his pump. For about the last three days of so about every other time we test I use about 4 to 5 strips to get one reading. It says error not enough blood everytime. I am a LPN and I have been dealing with his type one now for six months between the two I would like to think I know how to tell if there is enough blood or not. So I threw one bottle of strips away thinking it was the strips and everything was fine for about the first five BGs after this then it started happening again. So I thought maybe it was the meter and not the strips and we have a back up meter the same type one touch ultra link. And again for the first couple tests it was fine and now again I just went through 4 test strips to check his BG. Has anyone else ever had this problem or know what else the problem could be?

2. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

You can try to change the batteries un the meter. Also, if the problem persists, you can call Lifescan and maybe they can send you a new meter. My feeling is that it is the meter, especially if the bottles of strips were from different lot numbers.

3. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I pay out the nose for strips, before I would throw any away I would ask for replacement strips. We used to have that same problem but it was us, not the strips or the meter :eek:. Those strips start a count down as soon as blood hits them whether it is full or not, took us awhile to get used to how they worked and how much blood they really needed.

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

One thing I don't like about the One Touch is the amount of blood that's needed. We still waste strips!

5. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Same here. We switched meters while Charlie was taking a pump break. Now he is pumping again so we are back to One Touch... or we will be today when the pharmacy gets some strips in.

6. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

X3 Same here. We squeeze like mad some days and get the error reading, GRRRR! If I could have a onetouch ultra that would talk to the meter i would change in a heartbeat. Seems like it only needs to smell blood to get a reading.

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we normally use one touch, since Ashleigh is on the ping. And yes i agree it takes so much blood. Any way my husband switched jobs on Nov 1st, so new insurance. Well the new insurance would only allow us 200 strips per month (we normally get 300). Endo called to do an over-ride but insurance would only allow 240 or 250 strips per month. Apparently according to our insurance we over test. So that meant buying strips out of pocket. There is no way we can afford one touch strips out of pocket. So we ended up buying ReliOn strips and meter from walmart. I think it was like $35 from 100 test strips plus $9 for the meter. Any way we started using the ReliOn strips once the one touch ran out. Let me say these strips use hardly any blood at all! We took Ashleigh's lancet device down to a 1, and there is still to much blood on her finger. I believe it takes .3uL the same as freestyle. Just to compare one touch takes 1UL