advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test strip question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by quiltinmom, Jan 6, 2017.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We have fallen victim to the test strip problem...our insurance changed the tier of the strips we have been using, so instead of $15, we will have to pay $45. :(. (Not so affordable now are ya, aca? But I digress.)

Our options are accuchek and one touch. We have only used the one touch ultra blue, and we know we don't want to go back to that. He's open to the verio. We don't know much about accuchek and the extent of his experience with the verio is about 3-4 days at diabetes camp.

For those who have used both:

How does accuchek compare to the Verio strips? Does either company have a good discount plan? How do they compare with accuracy and reliability? What do you prefer? Do they have supply issues? Which meter do you like best?

I will be researching this, but any experience or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

We switched to Verio IQ some time back for various reasons and have been happy. Personally, I fully expect that, at some time, they will be Non Preferred and we might change but I don't really care all that much. I say go the cheapest route unless you KNOW of a particular, current issue.

As for affordable, is it a $30 difference per box? Per month supply? Per 3 month supply? Per 900 or per 1200? It kind of matters.

3. quiltinmom

It's $30 difference for a one month supply. Sure, $45 per month isn't a huge amount but it's triple the $15 we paid last year. Every penny counts.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I don't disagree. I would go with the cheapest option. Test strips are pretty accurate.

5. johnyaya

johnyaya Approved members

This is a good time to ask if anyone has tried the One Drop Premium service. They advertise it as $40/Month for unlimited test strips, and a one-time charge for their tester. I'm curious as to how accurate their tester is.

EDIT: Just to clarify so that others don't get confused - I'm not affiliated with One Drop. I'm unfortunately in that category of health care subscriber who runs his own business, with high-deductible insurance, and therefore I pay full freight on all medical supplies. I'm paying north of $1 a test strip, which in a perfect year is still over $1200 annually, so offers ilke One Drop can save people like myself many hundreds.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

You might check with the strip manufacturers website to see if they have a discount program if you want to keep the same strips. We use the Contour Next strips, as the meter communicates with her pump. The insurance will cover, but at a higher copay. Their discount program reduces the copay. We still pay the $15 copay, but Ascensia pays the difference to the pharmacy.

7. WestOfPecos

WestOfPecos Approved members

We have the Verio and have used it for at least 6 months. The good:
    - from experience good repeatability when it good range (70-130)
    - only 0.3ml of blood needed - very small drop - great for our kid who has cold hands

But - it is not rated as very accurate. Accu-chek meters, on the other hand, are rated VERY accurate. Also, their technology is less prone to wrong reads due to non-assimilable sugars. If they were on our insurance plan, we would go with accu-chek meters.

8. quiltinmom

This is exactly what we were doing. But apparently it doesn't work anymore at the pharmacy...the discount card wasn't working because it was not a preferred medication. ???

Does anyone know about the accu-check discount program? The website indicated the copay needed to be at least $45 before it would kick in, but it wasn't very clear. I'm wondering if it would bring my copay down to $15 even if the original copay was less than $45.

9. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Have you asked your insurance if they have mail order? Often times if you're HMO or PPO they have mail order and the cost is cheaper because you receive a bulk supply (we get 3 months at a time).

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'm sticking with FreeStyle even if my daughter's insurance stops covering it, for two reasons: they're so darned accurate, and she only uses 3 per day max (to calibrate her Dexcom and to verify the very rare wonky Dexcom number.)

11. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

We used accuchek for a while when they were preferred for us and had a good experience with them. Actually just found a random container of them in the cabinet the other day! Never used the verio.

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We've used the Accu-chek Aviva since diagnosis, with only a brief use of the Verio IQ due to insurance. We like the reliability of the Aviva so much better. My daughter dubbed the Verio the "Variability" because of how vastly different back-to-back tests in the same drop of blood would be. However, others use it and love it. There's a meter comparison on Integrated Diabetes' website you might want to read through.

The customer service for Accu-chek used to be top notch, but we've noticed a change over the years. They're not bad, just not stellar, as previously.