- advertisement -

Temp Basal Tips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Oct 7, 2014.

1. andiej

andiej Approved members

That's really interesting. We've had a funny week. DS normally has a very good number at 9pm before his snack, and his snack ratio at that time is set to raise him a little for overnight. This week however (baring mind we've moved house and routine is different, going to sleep earlier etc) he has been much higher around late check 11.30ish, typically between 12 and 14, though one night we caught the lowest low he's had a scary 1.6.

Usually if he is a higher at 11pm he normally comes back into range by morning, this week it's been hit and miss if he's been in range by morning.

Till now had put it down to new routine,,,though day time everything has been fine...you now have me wondering if it's a growth spurt...11 years old.

2. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

Thank you! It worked for about an hour and then he started rising again. Guess I would need a higher temp basal after the first.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I'd try a larger temp basal to start and see if that works better. I just looked at my daughter's settings and I have very much tried to account for the rise, so many nights it's enough, if she needs more, it's only a little more and if she needs less, it's only a little less. Her settings from 6am to 9pm are 1.5/hour and from 9pm to midnight it's set for 2.3/hour -- that's a 50% increase without the temp basal. If your child's rates are pretty flat through that time, then maybe you should have your temp basal be a lot bigger.

I guess I should also just say - this works for me/my daughter and everyone is different. Hopefully you can tweak the method and get it to work for you.

4. dpr

dpr Approved members

My daughter has growth spurts from hell, it took me a LONG time to get used to pumping so much insulin in to her. As soon as we see it starting, Dex graph rising at a 45 deg for about a half hour with no carb in her, I go to 200% basal set to shut off at 4:30am with a correction doubled based on her peaking at 350 even if she's a lower than that at the moment. That's her normal formula. Sometimes I have to bolus even more corrections to get her down. Thank God for Dexcom! After 4:30-5:00 am everything is back to normal. I just measured her a couple days ago and she's grown an inch in the last 45 days.

We use temp basal for lots of other things. New sites in the perfect place might need to run at 60-70% for most of a day and some days or nights she just runs high or low for no reason we will ever know.

What I do know for sure is Temp Basal is your friend!

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Thank you for posting this. It appears that our daughters experience similar growth spurts, so your strategy may come in handy for us.

6. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

The frequency of those things you list count as "all the time" in my book. He's literally not on a temp basal 24 hours a day, but we use one every other day or so.

I'd add to the list:

- Testing out a new proposed overall basal.

Alex's basals are sort of like the tide... they roll in and out slowly. For example, stay .5 for a few days, then go up to .7, then down to .4. We're always moving them around.

It has nothing to do with growth spurts or whatever. He's been like this since he was 4 years old. Just a no-pattern kind of kid.