- advertisement -

Tell me how you would feel.....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hockeygirl, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Hockeygirl

Hockeygirl Approved members

Austin is 16 and in 11th grade. Last week was the 3rd time the lunch lady tried to take his pump away, thinking it was a cell phone. I have talked to the princple all three times. I said that this was her 3rd strike and I want a meeting with her, Austin the principle and my husband. The principle said sorry for the inconvience it has caused Austin , she is going to print a picture of him and she is sorry. Ok # 1 this is 3rd time, # 2 she has NEVER apologized, ever. I told him I am sick of the double standards in the school! if this were Austins 3rd strike he would be expelled for 3 days!

Am I making a big deal out of something I shouldn't? She makes a big deal out of it infront of the whole cafeteria each time! By the way, His cell phone is in his 504 plan so she can't take it anyway!:(

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

no, no way! you are not making a big deal out of this. How embarrasing for Austin! She should give him and you and your husband a formal apology and if it happens again she should be fired! This behavior is enexcusable.

3. Hockeygirl

Thank you! That is exactly it. I told the principle that he doesn't like people to know he has diabetes in the first place.

4. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

ditto.....

5. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

The SAME lunch lady? Boy she is either a real witch or a really slow learner!

I would be livid also.

6. Hockeygirl

yea, same lady! Pretty sad huh!

7. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Excellent point about the consequences of repeated mistakes for kids versus the paid staff.

The lunch lady obviously needs some help remembering who your son is and what an insulin pump looks like. Personally, I would come at lunch one day and calmly speak with her face to face, introduce her to your son, and show her the pump...she'll never forget again if you do that. I know you shouldn't "have" to do that...but at this point, I would.

8. Sterling1

Sterling1 Approved members

I would be livid too.
    You mentioned her thinking it was a cell..well while you are speaking to her I would make sure she understands on no uncertain terms is she to EVER take your son's phone either... Sounds like a real winner:mad:

9. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Insist on a meeting with the lunch lady and the principal and the 504 administrator. She shouldn't be taking his cell (per the 504) and mistaking the pump for the cell ONCE is excusable. Three times is NOT, especially when she shouldn't be taking anything anyway.

Dear lunch lady: I am taking away your hair net even though you are clearly required to have it in order to perform your job. When you stop taking Austin's pump (which is required for him to maintain health), we will use his cell phone (also required for him to do HIS job) to call the principal and have your hair net returned. There will be no extra charge for the brain cells we add to the hair net.

10. Hockeygirl

Thanks for your responses....Do you ever feel like all you do is get mad at people! I feel like there is no compasion for anyone anymore! I am sick of having to be a "B" all the time!:(

11. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Oh yeah! You need a face to face meeting. What's up with the principal that he didn't take care of this the first time? One time mistake, I understand, the second, not so much, the third time is ridiculous!!

And yes, I understand feeling mad all the time. That is how it was with my daughters grade school. I can't wrap my brain around people not getting it when you tell them SPECIFICALLY what your child needs. So frustrating!! (((HUGS)))

12. Mars

Mars Approved members

WOW, this is wrong on so many levels. Least of which are invasion of privacy, discrimination and plain old stupidity. This woman must be dealt with severly. If she is incapable of remembering he is T1 with a pump, and a legal cell phone -she has no business working in a school with children.

Oh, I could go on and on, but I just basically wanted to say you are not wrong, you have every right to be angry, and I totally empathize. Let us know the outcome, please.

13. linda

linda Approved members

This did actually happen to our mentor with 2 d boys where the pump WAS RIPPED out of him and he was bleeding and everything!!!!!! I believe this led to a no GRAB rule!!!!! It had to BE HANDED OVER!!!!! (Any devices after that incident) the Teacher did apologize!!!!!

I would be very angry- I have told Em I give her complete permission to put her hand out or push if she must if a teacher comes at her...It has happened only 1 instance BUT next year she will be in a larger school setting with the older kids and I do worry!!! I make our prescence known to administration!!!!

14. Hockeygirl

The day she touches my son would be the end all for sure! That would be a huge mistake. I have handed it over to my husband to deal with. I am worn out with fighting. Can't wait for the school year to end!

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

You are DEFIANTELY NOT making a big deal out of nothing...You have more restraint than me...I would have been there talking to HER so fast it woud make her head spin...There is NO excuse for three times:rolleyes::mad:

16. Shirley and Jamie V.

Shirley and Jamie V. Approved members

Do they make a pump for common sense? It seems like this lady needs a constant infusion stream.

If only stupidity could be managed! Oh wait, that's the principal's job.

Good luck and try not to throw food at her.

17. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I think that lunch lady is crazy. She probably enjoys making a big deal out of things, especially kids that stand out.

She probably "wishes" that she could take it up, because it is an electronic device!

She obviously doesn't like that your son is allowed to carry an electronic device because she just wants to confiscate it-like everyone else's electronics.

She probably hates her job, and doesn't mind making other people miserable. She absolutely knows that what she is doing is wrong. She knows better.

I say give the school hell about it.

She will try it again, unless she gets a direct confrontation with you or your son. Oh yeah, she OWES EVERYONE an apology, too!!!!!!! I would demand one ASAP.

She has no right to harass your son.......ever.

18. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

Oh my Gosh!! I just read this!!What a crazy thing to do.Where I work
    we aren't allowed to correct or "touch" there stuff.We would be in big
    big trouble...I would probably go to her boss.If your district has one.
    My big boss is called food coordinator and is indistrict office.The principle
    has some say,but its his school,not his employee.I don't know if coming
    through right,but hope it helps.That is crazy!!!

19. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

Uh ....no! You are not making a big deal out of it... is this woman brain dead? Seriously, 3 times....i think she does need to apologize, maybe that will make her stop being an a$$...sorry but I am thinking she knows exactly what she is doing.....

20. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

wow, she's nuts! It's been awhile since I've been in school, but I don't remember lunch ladies monitoring the students, I thought that was what teachers and principles were for?