- advertisement -

Tell me about the Omnipod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof3princesses, Dec 28, 2008.

1. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I did want to mention that you have an additional 8 hours before the pod will actually not work anymore. It does beep to let you know when you are getting close to the end of the life but I actually find it helpful as a reminder.

My daughter loves it and is able to wear it on arms, legs, belly and butt with bathing suits, Gi, clothes, horseback riding, during karate and sparring, etc.
    We find it very easy to use and have no major issues at all with it. My daughter never wants to use another needle and is so happy with the Omnipod that she said she can take care of herself when she is older with her Omnipod.
    Good luck and get some samples to try out,
    Allene

2. vettechmomof2

We have few issues with adhesion but some due. We have few problmes at all but some due. Just like all of the other brands that some people have trouble with you will find just as many people who do not.
    Let your daughter try them all out and see what she likes.

Good luck,
    Allene

3. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Thank you for the info, Paula let me know as well:) . I wish I would have known that the morning I woke up in a panic with it beeping at me telling me to do a Pod change LOL....I think I pulled off one of the fastest Pod changes(while half asleep) ever. At least I will know in the future, I have time before it does turn off!

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

The pod has been great for Chris. The site changes are simple and we've had few problems. The electronic insertion is a blessing for my needle-shy son. The adhesive does make him itch, but he only uses his arms and lower back for sites. So the sites don't have long to recover. He has been in taekwondo and football wearing the pod with no problems. Chris is now twelve and travelled independently for three weeks abroad last summer while managing his diabetes without trained adults on the trip. I think it is pretty easy for a youngster to use.

That being said, I can think of a dozen ways to improve it. But I'm pretty sure that goes for any other pump.

Chuck

5. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

My only input is that having 2 daughters with D, it is sooooo nice to have extras of everything. Also, we knew exactly what we would pay, and everything as far as insurance goes. Your older daughter may want something different just to be her "own girl". My older tried the Pod for a few days (the dummy pod) and she hated it because there wasn't a place it couldn't be seen (so she thought).

6. momof3princesses

momof3princesses Approved members

Sharon,

I think this is exactly what is going to happen with us! I ordered the dummy pod today but I'm betting she will feel just like your daughter. I agree that we all already "know" the MM and having extra supplies is a benefit. We are leaving it up to her, but she is already beginning to lean toward the MM again. I'm hoping meeting with the CDE and others tomorrow will help answer some of her questions/concerns. I don't care which one she's on, just as long as we can get it going. She HATES the Lantus shots and the unpredictabilty of MDI.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

My daughter has been using it for nearly 2 years, since she was 8. We LOVE it! Mainly:

1) Completely automatic insertion. No priming, no tubes, no needles, no taping. Just
    clean the site, tape it on, press a button on the PDM, and it's done.

2) No going "off-line" when swimming.

3) If a pod or a PDM is broken or lost, it's no big deal. You've got a box full of pods, and a
    spare PDM costs $300. Although our PDM is nearly 2 years old and still working fine.

4) Since the PDM does not need to be worn on-body, it can be kept in a handbag or wherever
    else you want to keep it. There is nothing visible when wearing the pod except a little "bump"
    under the clothing that is easily concealed.

8. Danielle2008

That is how I feel too...the slight bump is barely noticeable. I highly doubt most people are really going to notice it...and if they do, it would be no different then someone noticing the MM or Animas.

On the myomnipod webpage, there is a video of a young teen(looks around 14 or 15) talking about her experience with it:

http://www.myomnipod.com/products/item/272/

9. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Your CDE doesn't know what she's talking about. There's a window you can look in and see the cannula itself!

That's where the infection would be. Not only that, the cannula is not in the middle of the pod, but the by the very edge. Any infection or redness that spreads will radiate out from under the pod. Even if you don't look through the window you'd still see it, just as much as you'd see it extend under a traditional site.

10. alismom

alismom Approved members

My daughter absolutely refused to have a pump with tubing. She has been using the pod for almost a year and loves it. She has to use skin tac as an additional adhesive. She usually wears it on her lower back and you can't tell unless you are looking for it.

11. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

My little guy is ALWAYS rolling on the ground, wrestling w/cousins and daddy basically being a busy active toddler and (knock on wood) we haven't had any problems. It also does not stick out on him either, a pump pouch would stick out more I would think:confused:

12. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Ha that's cute!

Pros:
    FAST site change, couldn't imagine it being any longer with a 3 year old
    Easy insertion
    No need to worry about taking it off for baths or swimming.
    SO easy to bolus for meals/snacks. He doesn't even know when I give the bolus because I just have to be near him

Con: Not showing IOB from meals, only corrections(correct me if I am wrong veteran podders)
    200U capacity - for us it's fine but I know another parent who HAS to change sites every 2 days because her daughter would run out of insulin
    Having to suspend pump to do a basal change(maybe all pumps are like that?)

Overall we are EXTREMELY happy with the OmniPod and plan to use it until there is a CURE:D

NOW if I had 2 kids that were pumping, I'd probably want to stick with the same one, much much easier. Maybe your other child will want to switch to the OmniPod when she see's her sibling using it :D

13. saxmaniac

There are ways around this, you just can't edit the active basal. Copy your basal to a new one, edit that all you like. Then just switch to the new basal program. No suspending involved. Keep two profiles for switching back and forth.

14. Danielle2008

Thought I would add one other Con about the PDM itself...it is not waterproof. Especially, if one were to knock it into the dogs water bowl:rolleyes: . Sigh, but I go back to the original Pro...Insulet has great customer service, and is quick at replacing.

15. momof3princesses

momof3princesses Approved members

Just wanted to add - Alex got her dummy pod today and she hates it. Where do you teens wear it? She put it on her abdomen and it sticks way out - you can see it throigh her shirt. She's terribly thin and I'm not sure where she'd put it that it wouldn't look huge!

16. vettechmomof2

My daughter is also very petite and wears it on her butt, thighs, arms( it is noticably seen there);) and belly.
    I know some also use the lower back.
    Good luck on her choices.
    Allene

17. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Would it be anymore noticeable then a tradition pump? I guess maybe with a tradition she could put the actual pump in her pocket, but again you'd see it?!?:confused:

18. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Right - I have been suspending to edit it... BRILLANT idea!!! Thank you!

19. Danielle2008

No matter where you put it, you will probably always see a little of it through her shirt. But in all honesty, unless you are really trying to look, must people don't notice. How often do you go around looking straight at someone's abdomen? I tend to look at people's faces first, but that is just me! When I first started the Omnipod, I didn't say a thing to my friends...and then I mentioned it to them, and not one noticed it until I said something. I could care-less about it showing a little...mostly because of all the other great things about it(it is really great for all the riding I do and work with the horses...as it is completely out of the way).

Here is a picture my mom took on New Years Eve. I was wearing a black shirt, so you can say it was a bit of a 'cheat'...but you could barely see the bump(arrow points to it). I am about 5'6, and am 126. You can see the slight bump, but again...not glaringly obvious. I also wear the Pod on my arm, and during the winter you can not see it at all under all my sweaters, and sweatshirts I wear.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/picture.php?albumid=283&pictureid=2096

20. saxmaniac

I can see the reasoning. A traditional pump can be put in a purse, pocket, bra, etc, so the bump is off the body. It also looks like phone/PDA/music player so people don't really think small electronic devices are weird. But a white bump doesn't look like any sort of common device.

Put together, the sum total of stuff you have to haul around is the same for both. Size of Pod+PDM = tubed pump.

Actually, since the PDM can be disconnected the pod is much less to carry in practice. You can leave the PDM on your dinner table when you go dance. Alex's PDM is rarely near him. It stays at the nurse's office or on our kitchen counter -- so the total amount of stuff attached to him is much smaller than any other pump.