- advertisement -

Tell me about the Omnipod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof3princesses, Dec 28, 2008.

1. momof3princesses

momof3princesses Approved members

Alex has decided she does want a pump right away. I assumed she would want the MM like Lily has. She mentioned last night that she'd like to research the one Nick Jonas has :rolleyes:. So, anyone with the Omnipod, what are the pros and cons? We LOVE Lily's Minimed so we have no complaints with them. Thanks!

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

OOOh, dear! That's not the best reason to want a certain pump is it? Figures..with the age she is! I don't know anything about the pod other than our endo really doesn't like it that much. She thinks it has promise for the future but she's had a lot of patients who have had issues with it. HOWEVER...many people here have it and LOVE it...so I hope they come and chime in! For us..we're looking into MM and Ping for Molly.

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Cons are Alex is 14 and will need alot of insulin(I was 14 a LONG time ago, so maybe with the new insulins, it's not as true) The Omnipod has to be changed out(the whole thing) every 3 days or less(200 units) As a teen, I used 200 units in a day and a half, and I was an athelete! Pros: All pumps are basically good! I love my Spirit!

Since she's wearing it and is a teen, she does need the choice, and the pros and cons!

Good luck!!

4. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I started the Omnipod in November. Been lovin’ every second of it since!

Pros:
    • Tubeless…the Pod is just ‘there’, it does not hinder anything I am doing. No disconnecting for showers, no worries about checking for bubbles after I ride, no need to have the PDM ‘on’ me…just in my purse like a meter etc
    • The easy insertion/pod changes. It is so quick, and requires little effort (at least, to me at this point). I just pull off the old Pod, fill the new one with insulin(let it prime itself), stick it on, push ‘next’ and it does the work for me. Once it is in, I am done. Personally, I really like this about the Pod.
    • The wireless PDM. People have no idea what I am doing when I am bolusing.
    • Good customer service. They are pretty reliable with helping you. My first PDM had battery life issues, and they overnighted a new one right away. When my PDM had an error because of cold weather/ static, they also sent a new Pod since it no longer worked with the PDM(and I only got 1 day out of it).

Cons:
    • Because of the Pod size(which I really don’t think is ‘huge’ like others say), I personally don’t want to wear it anywhere below pants line(on thighs etc). I know others do though. So there may be some limitations as to where you can put it.
    • The PDM’s software is not great at this point, but they are coming out with a new one early next year…so hopefully, that will not be true very soon.
    • The three day Pod life. The only thing I don’t like about this, is the Pod will turn off once it is overdue for a Pod change…so I do find myself on a bit of a ‘schedule’ of doing Pod changes at the same time every three days. While I don’t mind only going three days, I wish it didn’t count to the exact hour you did your last Pod change(if I do it at 2:00pm, I pretty much have to do it around the same time in three days...I wish it would let me wait until that evening to do it).

That is about it for me. All in all, I absolutely love the system. I really can’t find a whole lot of faults with it. I have no problems with the Pods sticking(it sticks a bit too good on my arm though, LOL), or with it irritating my skin. People have no idea I am wearing one, and I often forget I have it on too!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  5. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Kendall is 8 and has been on the pod since September and we would not go back. The tubeless aspect is great, it's easy to change, easy to use and the wireless feature is the best. She likes that it gets wet with no problem (swimming, bathing, etc).

I spoke to Insulet and the as long as you have the insulin in the pod, it's good for 8 hours after the expiration date. You just have to acknowledge the beep. It will beep a few times, but it does continue to work.

I'm sure it's a hard decision, and I hope you are all slowly adjusting. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

6. Danielle2008

Oh really? I had no idea. When I have waited I get a Pod Expiration alert, and it tells me to change the Pod now. So I can just ignore it, until I am ready to change? Great to know, thanks:)

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This is probably an important consideration. She might not need a lot of insulin while she's honeymooning, but she will at some point. I know the MM has a 300 unit reservoir, and I think Cozmo does too? Also, even though I believe the Animas is smaller, all you'd have to do is change the reservoir if she ran out, as opposed to the whole site. We do site changes every 3-4 days, and it would get annoying to do them more often.

I also think it would be convenient to have the same pump for both kids, but obviously that's your call.

Otherwise, they're all good pumps!

8. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

just hit the button and when it asked if you want to change pod now, say no. wait a moment, and then you can bolus if you want. Insulet customer service told me about this.

9. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

My daughter is 14 and has had the OmniPod for over a year and a half. She ABSOLUTELY LOVES it. She's big into sports and while we didn't know this when she first got it, but that has been a great advantage for adrenaline highs since there is no disconnecting and she can continue to run a basal.

The amount of insulin it holds has not been an issue for us. But our doctor wants the pod changed every other day so she doesn't develop scar tissue. I'm only guessing, but I would imagine he'd want that with any pump then.

The automatic insert is so nice. Quick and easy. I don't mind the software. My only complaint about that is I'd like an option to have more then one day on a page. But it's nice, gives enough info, and its easy to read.

In the beginning, adhesion was a problem especially with sports and sweating, but we added additional adhesive and really haven't had a problem since. And customer service is excellent.

Since our girls are the same age, if you'd like my daughter can email yours. Just PM me and we can exchange email address.

Best of luck on your decision.

10. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb really thought he wanted the pod since it is tubeless. I ordered the demo pod and he tried it on and hated it. It was just a little too bulky for his likes. He also was allergic to the adhesive.

I would recommend ordering the dummy pod and have her wear it around for a few days. That way she can actually see how it feels.

I have heard great things about it.

Here is their website to order the demo..

http://www.myomnipod.com/

11. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Madison has the omnipod. She said there was NO WAY she would ever consider anything else. For her the biggest advantage of the pod is the discreetness of bolusing. If you didn't know what she was doing you would think she was texting someone on her cell phone:) Not having the PDM connected by a tube makes things much easier for her. Sports is another reason we love it. She doesn't have to disconnect, she can test discreetly and bolus if she needs to. We have never had a problem with the adhesive and have only had 1 true pod failure in the 9 months we have had it.

Only good things to say about it.

12. momof3princesses

momof3princesses Approved members

Thank you all so much! I'm pushing the MM because I know and love it. She wanted to learn about the Omnipod because she has never "seen" Nick Jonas' site - no wires hanging she said. I don't like the small reservoir size as I know her needs will increase a lot. My brothers are both on pumps and swear by the 300 unit reservoirs. Is there a CGMS out there with the Omnipod? I LOVE Lily's CGMS and Alex sould like that capability at least some of the time.

13. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Connie has a good point about the capacity. If you're on a huge basal you can take up a lot of that slack with Lantus. Still should easily be able to get 3 days out of the pod.

14. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Kristi..thank you for that info..:) I had no idea you could order dummy pods for your child to wear! I just ordered mine (Been thinking about the Omni Pump here too)

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

Although I lean more towards the Omnipod since it's the only one my son has been on and we've had great success with it, I would like to add that since your daughter is 14 I honestly think she should have a say in what she wants to wear. The little ones I think we have more control over, but as they get older, I think they should have more of a say. That may be a minority opinion here, but it's mine! ;)

16. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

My 15 year old has been on the Pod since July and would not have anything else, he likes the ability to be discreet and it really is great not to disconnect for sports.
    The only trouble we are having is the skin irritation and that just started over the last few weeks or so to really be a problem up until then he would not have any redness - maybe it is the dryer weather of winter?? I was told about the Sween Cream and barrier wipes so we will try that and hopefully get everything cleared up.

17. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

The only pump with integrated CGMS at the moment is the MM. Other pump companies, including Insulet are hoping for 2009/10 integration. IMO MM will still have the edge as they have had several years to work out the kinks that tend to come with new technology.

18. jodiv

jodiv Approved members

I may have missed someone else answering this, but the pod can really be worn for 80 hours, not 72. It alarms at 72 hours, but you have an eight hour "grace period" to change it. We go 73+ hours all the time.

Jodi

19. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Our CDE recommended against it because it covers a larger area which can't be seen so an infection could start and not be noticed until it is getting bad . Is this is a legit concern? I really really really like the idea of a pod. Also had someone tell me it sticks out so much more and might be an issue for toddlers who roll and bump a lot (or older kids who do :p). I'm kind of hoping someone can tell me ways around this because I'd like to look into putting mine on the omnipod, too.

20. Danielle2008

I am not sure how a serious infection could be missed. The Pods come with windows so you can see the cannula and insertion site. It if looks red/irritated you can definitely tell. Is that what they are talking about?

I can't help you with the Pod size on a young kiddo, I am sure one of the parents here will chime in on that:cwds: