- advertisement -

Tell me about JDRF walks

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Sep 13, 2008.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

We got a flyer in the mail yesterday that Mall of America is having a JRDF walk January 24th. Then on October 26th if we go to a presentation on it for 2 hours, then the kids get free ride wristbands for the remainder of the day. We get our name put into a drawing for free One Touch Ultra strips for one year.

We have never done a walk yet. We are new to this. Can my 6 year old do this with us? I mean, do they let you walk at your leisure and just have fun? We would all love to do this as a family together. My SD was kind of excited when I told her about it.

Sorry to sound like I don't know much because I don't! :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  2. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

We're doing our first walk this year...and planning to take our youngest who will be 5. We have several people walking with us. It will be an adventure! :D

3. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I figured it was more for fun and the cause and they would have stops we can take (I hope!). :)

4. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

Sandy,

As the family team chair for the South central Texas Chapter of the JDRF, I can tell you that you will not regret walking!

Of course the main goal i to get as manywalkers that wnt to walk with you on walk day and have the along with you raise money for research .... BUT....your SD will be amazed at the number of families and people that stand behind the same cause as yourself.

You will have ablast and anyone can walk - there is no time limit and it is not a race.. It is a walk to honor your child and othrs like her an to raise $$ and awareness of T1. You raise the moen for research by sending out a family letter or via email telling them about your walk and asking for donations for your cause.. Essentially, every walker on your team should raise money but it is not a mandatory thing.

Last year our family raised almost $12,000 with minimal effort and yes you can ask local stores and places you frequent for donations or sponsorships but the bulk of your donations would come from firends, and family.

I would suggest contacting your local chapter for more information but I say go for it! You will have a blast!

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Do the walk! It's a fun time. I envy you all getting to do it at MOA. Generally, the walk will not take 2 hours. It is based on the amount of time the walk is given to be at the walk location. Being that it is a walk for kids, JDRF tries to make the walk as easy as possible, with snack stops/water stops along the way, nurses to assist you etc. You definitely walk at your own pace.

As for fundraising, you can send letters out to family and friends inviting them to walk with you or to at least donate. You can put up collection jars at local stores, or ask them to sponsor you (some people take this money and put it towards the cost of tee's). It is a great experience for the whole family!

6. zell828

zell828 Approved members

So we are suppose to go out now and start getting donations for our walk and when we go to the walk we bring all the money we raised? Is that how it works? Gosh, I feel "green" to this. :eek:

So people mostly get a large number of people per team do get donations then? Us going with just us 4 will look weird then huh?

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't know about other walks but at ours, there are one or two HUGE teams and then the rest are small teams. We are just the 5 of us!

You can raise as little or as much as you want. You get a JDRF t-shirt if you raise an average of $100 per team member - so $400 will get all of you t-shirts

I honestly swore that I wasn't going to raise money when I signed up to walk. I didn't want the pressure. The first year, my husband and I raised $2200 between us and this year we raised over $4100 between us.

We mostly used the Walk Central web site and sent emails out to people. Not much else.

8. Beach bum

Absolutely not. I work at the walks, and we had one gal who made her own team. It's not the number of people you have or the amount of money you raise, it's that you are there supporting your child!

To register:

Go to www.jdrf.org
    You will see right in the center of the page there is a section for the walk. Click on register and it will take you to the reg. page. Register yourself, then it will ask if you have others from the same household walking. Add their names in also. Simple as that. You don't have to set a goal if you don't want too. Raise what you can, but don't feel pressured. Generally the first year of diagnosis, the family teams are small.

As for donations:
    People can donate online
    People can give you cash or checks. You can bring the $$ directly to the walk or to make it quicker, go directly to the JDRF if there is one nearby. The day of the walk, get there early to check in because the line to turn in donations can be long (luckily you'll be inside though!). You may also mail check donations directly to your local chapter, but just make sure you add a note with your team name.

Most important of all, have fun!

9. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Thank you everyone! This has been helpful :)

10. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

At our walk (which was very family oriented, lots of young kids with strollers you had the choice of doing 4 or 8 k -- but anyone who got tired could turn back whenever they wanted. They also had snack/drink stations and portapotties every 2 k along the trail. It's a really nice event.

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Here's a video of our walk I put together - it will give you a feel for what the walk is like. You don't have to have a big group walking - any size group is fine - even one person walking works! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xvpu0nKsbc

12. BlessedIAm

BlessedIAm Approved members

I think your walk sounds like it's going to "rock!" There will be plenty of other small groups like yours there but you will also find large groups too. Don't worry....you won't look out of place or anything and I think you will be glad you went if for nothing else than just that you will be there to support the cause. Plus the kids will love it that they get to ride rides afterwards too!

P.S. My husband is being recruited for a job in Minneapolis. It may be several months away though but I might need to find you if it were to become a reality. :)

13. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Allan and I are a 2 person team, we raise anywhere from $1000. to $5000. depending on the year. I only do my begging for 2 weeks, so hopefully they won't remember the next year. I only go after businesses. My Mum always donates, and 1 of my brothers, the others say they can't afford "my cause". We also work at the walk in the event waiver area as team leads, so we really don't get to do the walk.

14. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

We walked for the DFM (Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi) when Deirdre was still in a stroller. It was a fun time for all. I'm actually jealous that we're nowhere near the Mall of America. :)

15. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I live about 40 miles south of Minneapolis in a small town of about 3,000 people. Yes, definitely come find me! :)

16. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I just wanted to post to try not to have a high expectation for fundraising. I know JDRF has you put in a goal for the online Walk page. I have mixed feelings about this. It's good to have a goal, but I think it's easy to become very disappointed if donations don't start to pour in. We take this to heart because our kids and our families suffer.

It could be easy to arrive on Walk day and be disappointed with your Walk donations. I choose to keep my expectations low and be grateful on Walk day. If you don't raise thousands of dollars like others (we did not), feel good that what you have done has certainly contributed towards the cause!

A grateful heart is a satisfied heart! :cwds::cwds:

17. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Thanks. I won't set our expectations really high this first time. I probably could raise in the hundreds, but thousands is beyond what I think I could do right now. I think it is just good for the kids to be a part of this.

18. Beach bum

Just remember, every penny helps, either big or small. Don't feel that you failed because you didn't raise thousands, as I said, every penny helps. It's not only about raising money, but raising awareness and supporting those with D.

19. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Thank you for the video! That looked like a lot of fun :D

20. evinsmom

evinsmom Approved members

I live in the Twin Cities and the mailing you got is not about the actual walk (which is in January) but a session to learn about raising money and participating in the walk (which is in the Mall of America). It is geared towards new families who are wondering about how to get started raising money. If you are not sure if you will attend, go ahead and sign up because they will send you the material and that was very helpful for us.

Last year was our first walk and it was very interesting. For a couple of reason, we did not attend the session the October before. First, it was held at the Water Park of America. At that time we were still pretty new to pumping and we were having all sorts of problems with chlorine and adhesive (we’ve learned lots since then). The invite also stated that you had to sit through the 2 hour session to get the free passes and I couldn't imagine my twin 4 year-olds sitting for that long. And I can’t imagine my 5 year-olds sitting this year. But Nickelodeon Universe (which used to be the Park at MOA, which use to be Camp Snoopy) is one of my sons’ favorite places, so free passes may be worth them sitting around driving me crazy.

As for the walk itself….it was very interesting. I’m not sure I like having it in the dead of winter (and getting there at 7:00 am when it is -10 degrees is about as dead as you can get) inside a mall. There were so many people and we had to wait so long before the masses started to move. We only got around once before we called it a day. My kids did not understand why we were not just going to the park to play (which didn’t open until 10:00 am). We did not see any of the program because teams who had walked before were smart enough to stake a place in the rotunda so they could see. When we headed over there we could barely get through and did not see a thing.

I didn’t even think about my boys wanting to go to the park – silly me. I was so up on walking for a cure and really talked it up to my boys (who didn’t understand). So we did spend many hours at the park and its there that I really had a great time. I met lots of families (some here on CWD) and learned lots. But it was also there that Evin had a big low – which I knew was coming. This is the part of the thank you letter I sent to my donors that explains what happened next.

“It was as we were leaving the mall that Donovan, my articulate one, was finally able to put his thoughts into words. “Mommy, did Evin’s diabetes go away?” As soon as those words were out of his mouth, I realized my mistake. In trying to explain what a cure was, I told my boys that it would make diabetes go away; forgetting that at 4 everything is literal. “Is that why you are so upset, Evin?” I asked, “Because you thought your diabetes would go away after the walk?” My son nodded and started to cry. As my heart broke yet again, I gathered my boys into my arms and tried to find the words to explain the un-explainable. I finally gave up and simply told them that there would be no cure on that day.”​
    Needless to say, the day ended badly for me. We still have not decided if we will be doing it this year.

I know others here in the Twin Cities have had great experiences and I certainly don’t want to stop you from doing the walk, but it does seem very strange to not be walking around one of our great lakes or in one of our great parks. I think that would be a better environment.

Hopes this helps,