- advertisement -

Teleconference call on arsenic and diabetes

Discussion in 'Research' started by sgh, Mar 4, 2014.

1. sgh

sgh Approved members

The Link Between Arsenic Exposure and Diabetes: A Review of the Current Research

Teleconference call

Tues. March 11, 1 pm EST

info/rsvp: http://www.healthandenvironment.org/wg_calls/13959

There is strong evidence that high levels of arsenic exposure can increase the risk of diabetes. Can lower levels of exposure as well, similar to what we encounter in the U.S.? This is one of the questions that researchers are now trying to answer. This call on Tuesday March 11, 2014 at 10:00 am Pacific / 1:00 pm Eastern features two experts who study arsenic and diabetes, Dr. Ana Navas-Acien and Dr. Mirek Styblo. Dr. Navas-Acien will discuss epidemiological evidence linking arsenic to diabetes, focusing on lower exposure levels. Dr. Styblo will review the potential mechanisms involved in the diabetogenic effects of arsenic.

One interesting aspect of arsenic-induced diabetes is that it seems to be somewhat different from typical type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Many of the human studies have found that arsenic exposure is indeed associated with diabetes, but surprisingly, not necessarily with insulin resistance. It seems that diabetes linked to arsenic exposure may combine mechanisms involved in both type 1 and 2 diabetes.

Certain areas of the U.S. have arsenic in drinking water (naturally-occurring). Arsenic is also found in chicken, rice, and other food products.

After the scientists present their research, there will be time for questions. The call will also be recorded and available online.

Sponsored by the Collaborative on Health and the Environment, www.healthandenvironment.org.

Thanks!
    Hope you can join us!

Sarah

2. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

Sarah, is this conf-call going to be of interest to people researching type-1 diabetes?
    I looked at the backing material, and none of the Arsenic stuff seemed to have anything to do with type-1, except maybe for a brief mention as a prenatal exposure risk factor.

(I should point of that some text seemed to assume that anything not causing insulin resistance was somehow related to type-1 or that anything which caused less insulin to be produced was somehow related to type-1. I don't believe that. For myself, type-1 means autoimmune related. Type-2 can be either generating less insulin or insulin resistance or a combination of both, but is not related to an autoimmune attack. Type-1 diabetes (in contrast) is related to an autoimmune attack. So with that definition of type-1 vs. type-2, will the conf-call be of interest to people interested in type-1?)

Joshua

3. sgh

sgh Approved members

One of the researchers has found links between arsenic and genes associated with type 1 diabetes, and I assume he will talk about that. And I plan to ask about type 1. Overall, arsenic-induced diabetes is assumed to be type 2, since it's generally adult-onset, from what I can tell. But he is finding unexpected links with type 1 as well as type 2. And arsenic seems to act by directly affecting the beta cells, and reducing insulin secretion. In my view, that could contribute to type 1 diabetes, no matter why your beta cells malfunction-- via an autoimmune attack or via arsenic. (Type 1b for example, is diabetes without signs of autoimmunity but otherwise like typical type 1a-- maybe arsenic could explain that? I don't think anyone knows why there even is a type 1b diabetes). There are children in the US who have type 1 but without autoimmunity or insulin resistance and we don't know why they have diabetes, maybe monogenic, or another type... so there's not always a clear line between all the types or a clear cause of everyone's diabetes (and 10% of people with type 2 have autoimmunity and probably have type 1 anyhow). So... I think it's interesting, and I have type 1... but maybe you wouldn't if you are only concerned about autoimmunity. I doubt they will talk about autoimmunity, although there very well could be immune system effects from arsenic as well, I don't know if they have even looked for that. I am interested in whatever can affect beta cells, personally. Vacor, for instance, was a rodenticide that has been outlawed because it destroyed beta cells and basically gave people type 1 diabetes. They did find signs of autoimmunity-- only sometimes-- in those people-- which may mean that the beta cell destruction could perhaps trigger an autoimmune attack-- or they were genetically prone to autoimmunity-- or who knows what. Anyhow arsenic does not have the extreme effects that Vacor did, it's more of a long-term exposure with more subtle effects (like turning diabetes genes on/off, reducing insulin secretion from beta cells, etc.). So I think it is interesting.